.17HMR as BUG?

This is a discussion on .17HMR as BUG? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I notice Taurus are offering .17HMR revolvers as CCWs on their website, but I have to question the logic in this. I haven't used nor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .17HMR as BUG?

.17HMR as BUG?

I notice Taurus are offering .17HMR revolvers as CCWs on their website, but I have to question the logic in this.
    I haven't used nor do I own any handgun in .17HMR so my personal experience is nil. I have heard the caliber referred to as the flying hat pin, or worse.

My stance is that part of me really want this to work, it's another option and options are good.

What do you all think on the matter?
    Is .17HMR a waste of time and energy?
    How does it compare with .22LR stingers?
    Or with 5.7x28mm?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I'd rather opt for a .22LR than a .17HMR. A .22 Mag would be better than the other two.

With that said, for a BUG gun I personally feel that you should strongly consider a .38 and larger handgun. You can find very small handguns for BUG in these caliber choices.
    Beretta 92FS

Short barrel HMR

One of the former employees at the gunshop had a short barreled .17HMR and had a lot of trouble with bullet stability. Every load he tried keyholed and the manufacturer never made it quite right. For the size of a snubnose, go with something bigger. If recoil is a factor, try something in .32 or .38spl non +P loads. If it was in a smaller gun, and worked, then maybe it would be worth it. otherwise, just not efficient use of a snubbie-sized gun.

VIP Member
    For what it's worth...my opinion is the .17hmr is a good varmint round, but little good at anything else.

I use that round for small varmints & crows, on which they are devastating. However, due to the stability issues with such a small caliber in a short barrel.....well, just say I think it is better left in rifles, not pistols.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I just went on the Taurus site and all the .17 HMR were listed as discontinued, that is enough for me to forget about it.

Discontinued?
    I hadn't noticed that, and that fully answers my query.

I wasn't seriously considering it for myself, my wife was interested in the caliber and I was interested sufficiently for it to pique my curiosity.
    I have a P232 for BUG presently and am looking at Seecamps and KelTecs to add to that, amongst others in consideration.

Thanks for the opinions/advice.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I just went on the Taurus site and all the .17 HMR were listed as discontinued, that is enough for me to forget about it.
    They arent all discontinued.
    Beretta 92FS

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I saw those also. Very weird idea. However,
    1. I have a SW 351PD which is a 22 mag snubbie. It shoots fine- no bullet instability and quite accurate. Much more power than a 22 LR. Loud as can be. Weighs 10 oz so I take it in my fly fishing vest.
    2. A dealer friend told me that it is quite tough to get many Taurus guns- there is some sort of problem. Has anyone else seen this? It may just be his distributor.
    God Bless and Happy New Year
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

How much expansion are they going to achieve out of the tiny .17cal? I agree it is a good varmit gun, although I prefer the 22/250. I think if you need a defense gun get one in the proper size. I don't feel comfortable with anything smaller than 380 and then only if you are very accurate as shot placement becomes key. I too have heard about bullet instability with the.17 out of shorter barrels.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The primary advantage of the .17 is it's high velocity which goes by by when you put it in a snubie, a .22 mag would be the better choice, at least you would have a heaver bullet.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    How much expansion are they going to achieve out of the tiny .17cal? I agree it is a good varmit gun, although I prefer the 22/250. I think if you need a defense gun get one in the proper size. I don't feel comfortable with anything smaller than 380 and then only if you are very accurate as shot placement becomes key. I too have heard about bullet instability with the.17 out of shorter barrels.
    The round doesn't really expand....it disintegrates. When I first got mine, I tried it on a gallon jug of water........it destroyed it, but there was NO exit hole, the lead in bullet had turned practically to dust & the copper jacket was in slightly larger pieces.

The .17HMR works great on ground hog, crows...etc....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

the .17 is a good rifle round. but in a small pistol i would go with something else, like a j-frame.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lightbulb B.O.R.

Big ole rock might Work better.

B S

the .17hmr tracker i have is discontinued which made it go up in trade/sale value. the reason for the discontinue is one had a chrome cylinder release button on blued steel, its a double/single action. they shoot great i also have the tracker .22 and the tracker .22 mag the .17HMR is way better. then the .22 mag then way behind is the .22LR. if you hunt small game for food with the 17 i suggest a head shot for the simple reason you just cant eat exploded meat shreds. i know by experience

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    This is a used ballistic vest panel. The lead ball at the bottom is a 250 grain lead bullet stopped just under the nylon cover. at the point of the knife blade is the pinhole where a 17 HMR passed through.

This is the exit hole. Its a little more than 1/4" across. after the vest panel it passed through the 3/4" plywood it was taped to. I was very surprised at the penetration.

this is from a rifle barrel, I'm not sure what it would do from a short barreled gun. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links