Bad reloads at the range

This is a discussion on Bad reloads at the range within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was lucky enough to sneak away for an hour or so at the range today. I bought several boxes of ammo when I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bad reloads at the range

Distinguished Member

Bad reloads at the range

I was lucky enough to sneak away for an hour or so at the range today. I bought several boxes of ammo when I got there - 9mm and .380 all cheap reloads sold for range use. The 9mm ran fine through my Kahr PM9 and G17, but the .380 had a FTE on EVERY round through 3 1/2 mag's with my new LCP. Not only was I getting FTE's, but every round felt underpowered - they almost felt like shooting .22LR.

I ended up just returning the box and complaining. The person behind the counter told me that they had a lot of problems with .380 and they thought that their supplier may have used the wrong powder. My response was, so why did you sell it to me? They ended up only refunding what I didn't shoot. Very disappointing and probably my first and last trip to this particular range.

The good news is that I had some other .380 I brought with me and it fed through the LCP great. I also had no takedown pin issues this trip - my first time shooting the gun the takedown pin worked it's way loose in a very disturbing way.

Has anyone else ever experienced reload issues like this?

2. Remove Ads

Sorry you had problems. Many of us wont shoot reloads that we didnt load ourselves.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I will never shoot someone else's reloads. At least someone I don't know. I had a friend (now deceased) whom I trusted, but no strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Sorry you had problems. Many of us wont shoot reloads that we didnt load ourselves.

Distinguished Member
    There is a company in Atlanta that does reloads for all of the ranges in the metro area - at least all of the one's I have been to. They are large and produce a great product - I have never had a problem with them with a couple thousand rounds of experience. The box of .380's was from another company called Scorpion. I thought I would try it out - lesson learned.

I wish I had the time to get into reloading, but with 3 kids, a new business and everything else in life it is hard. Someday I will get into it myself. Until then, I guess I just need to be careful.

I believe the following to be a true story. Someone I have known for decades was telling the story on himself, to me, the other day.

I mentioned something about reloading, and he started telling me how many years ago, he and another friend I have known for decades went in and bought a MEC 600 for reloading shotgun shells. And that they had a friend who was always looking to get free ...anything he could get, lol.

Anyway, they had just finished their first loads on the MEC. So their friend comes by, and they give him a couple of the boxes.

He "explained" to me that the reloading press had "inserts" (on MEC Presses, they are properly called 'bushings', btw), that were SUPPOSED to go into the charging bar. But that they did not read the directions well, and left out the powder bushing.

Long story short; Their friend brought in his brand new Browning shotgun, with the rear stock cracked, as the shells they reloaded were grossly overloaded with powder. Im amazed that that is all that happened.

They were incredibly lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I will never shoot someone else's reloads. At least someone I don't know. I had a friend (now deceased) whom I trusted, but no strangers.
    There are reloads and then there are reloads. Name-brand commercial reloads such as Black Hills are are reliable as new ammo, but be wary of non-name stuff passed off at ranges or gun shows.
    RickyD and blitzburgh like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    There are reloads and then there are reloads. Name-brand commercial reloads such as Black Hills are are reliable as new ammo, but be wary of non-name stuff passed off at ranges or gun shows.
    That's interesting. When we bought the Sccy, I got some reloads from the vendor so we could play later and that whole box ran perfectly but then I ordered Ultramax reloads from Midway and I was getting 20-30% FTE's and the gun was horribly dirty after. Would love to get all the equipment and supplies to reload but the wife isn't convinced I'm going to shoot enough to reach ROI. I'll prove her wrong yet :)
    StormRhydr likes this.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Every round you buy is loaded by someone else! Just throwing it out there! DR

VIP Member
    Gramps got a 'good deal' on 1,000 factory reloads for me several years ago. Slight problem. My Glock hated them! Really hated! We had to find someone to take them off of our hands and I went back to using the S&B 9mm that I had always used with nary a problem. Will never, ever, buy reloads again!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Had a really bad experience recently with some locally sourced reloads as well. Not sure who all on this board lives in or around the Phoenix area, but stay away from "Wasp" ammo -- it chocked up my Kahr CM9 really badly recently. Some of the rounds wouldn't even fit properly in the magazine...

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Do it yourself and then you have no one to blame but the guy that did it.

VIP Member
    Glad you didn't have anything worse happen to you,

We(friends and associates) bought some "Israeli reloads) from a vendor here in the metro Detroit area.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWhoa!!!!!!!!!

Stovepipes FTF FTE one pistol blowing up!
    Ouch.
    Thank the good Lord and sweet Baby jesus I only had one stove to end usage in my weapons.
    It was bought in the ammo shortage of 2012 2013
    $18 for 100 rnd.

Remember, if its too good to be true.................
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't shoot reloads.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.w.daugherty View Post
    That's interesting. When we bought the Sccy, I got some reloads from the vendor so we could play later and that whole box ran perfectly but then I ordered Ultramax reloads from Midway and I was getting 20-30% FTE's and the gun was horribly dirty after. Would love to get all the equipment and supplies to reload but the wife isn't convinced I'm going to shoot enough to reach ROI. I'll prove her wrong yet :)
    Well, Id bet anything that your math is wrong, as re ROI. Pretend you were talking about a car, and thinking of the ammo as price per gallon.

When bush II took office, gas was right at $1.10 a gallon, in Middle TN. It was several times higher than that when he left office. If you based operating cost on the $1.10 per gallon price, you would have missed been way off the mark.

Look at what has happened to ammo prices since obama took office. I dont see ammo coming down in terms of prices, any more than gasoline has. So it takes less volume to get to return on your investment.

THEN factor in that its not just about saving money, but about having a secure ammo supply. AND something that those of us who do it, find enjoyable. And it looks even better.

Good reloading manuals are not "cheap", but they are not very costly, either. And everyone will tell you, (correctly), that they are the place to start when reloading.

Pouring over various loads in the data book can be interesting. Especially when you are thinking in terms of ROI. The lower grain weight bullet, or load of powder, etc. All factor in to getting cost per range/training/practice rounds down. And down much more dramatically than you might imagine.

None of the above means that in todays market, that you will recover your investment right off the bat. But...the more ammo costs go up, the better it looks.

Honestly, I did not get into metallic cartridge reloading (pistol & rifle), for cost savings. I did it because of an unstable ammo supply chain.

The economics part of it all I learned reloading shotgun shells starting at age 12. At first we all want the same two things, when starting reloading; 1. For it to go "Bang!", and 2. It not to blow up.

After that we start looking at other load data, and think cost per round.
    blitzburgh likes this.

I went thru the same thing, the I started to reload my own, no problem after
    that I also got tired of waiting for 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links