9mm, 90 Grain, Cast Lead Good To Go?

This is a discussion on 9mm, 90 Grain, Cast Lead Good To Go? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My question is fairly simple, I think. I have reloaded shotshell since age 12, and the name of the game in that, is fine tuning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 9mm, 90 Grain, Cast Lead Good To Go?

My question is fairly simple, I think. I have reloaded shotshell since age 12, and the name of the game in that, is fine tuning your loads to get all the performance you want, at the least amount of components used...at a cost effective price per load.

So, my question is; I want to order moulds to cast hard cast lead bullets in 9mm. The lightest weight bullet moulds that I have found are for 90 grain 9mm bullets.

I have never shot 90 grain 9mm in any type of bullet before, but I like the math on it all. Ie 90 Grains of lead is a lot less than 115 Grains, so ones lead supply would seem to go a lot further with the 90 Grain bullet. I have good load data on loading 90 Grain bullets from Lyman, so I figure thats about as good a source as I can get.

Are there any problems with "accuracy", or performance with 90 Grain Cast Lead bullets that others have run into? Or any other reasons that I might want to avoid 90 Grain bullets, and go with something more common, like 115 Grain, or higher?

If you are reloading and powering your own bullets why not go the 115?

Just make sure your weapon feeds lead cast reliably.

OD*
    What weight bullet do you carry for SD?
    That's the bullet weight I'd practice with.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

What gun are you going to run these in? You may need to change recoil springs to make the gun function properly with such a light bullet.
    BamaT likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    IMHO those little 90gr bullets were probably desighned for the 380's. Buy a mold for at least 115gr. I prefer the 124gr bullets myself.
    Bigsteve113, BamaT and SIGP250 like this.

Not an expert but, for SD I always believed in hitting as hard as possible with as much weight as possible, for target practice I shoot the cheapest that feed well.

The purpose of the 90gr would make the difference in my thinking.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I found hard cast lead for $1.50/lb. if 7,000gr=1lb, then you will be able to get 280 more bullets per pound with 90grains of lead. You just saved yourself $0.0053 per round.

But I agree with coffecup. That is a .380 mold, not a 9mm. Just like I wouldn't use a 158 gr mold. That is a .38.

I think there is a lot of merit to the comments already made regarding using the same weight as what you carry, and also regarding whether your gun will function with that bullet. Having said that, however, when I have time for casting, my favorite mold for 357/38 special is the Lee 105 SWC, a very light bullet for caliber. That bullet shoots very well in every 357/38 I've shot it in, especially using a slightly slower powder like Blue Dot loaded to around 1000 fps. Never shot it in a snub. I use straight WW, with Alox lube, sized to .357. That bullet is advertised as working well in 9mm, but I've never tried it. If you wanted a lighter bullet that might be one to consider. Shooting a lighter bullet in a semi-auto is a little differ than a revolver because of the functioning of the slide. As mentioned already, you might have to go to a lighter spring.

It is certainly true that your lead supply will go further with the lighter bullet.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Go farther? There's a reason long range shooters use heavier bullets over lighter bullets. And why would you be concerned about long range with a 9mm handgun? Maybe if you had some exotic single-shot target gun, but not with a 4-5 inch semi-auto. But have you seen 9mm Luger 90 grain rounds on a shelf anywhere?

As for using the same weight as what you carry . . . maybe. I load 124 grain LRNs in my 9mm as that happened to be what was on hand when I started and happens to be the same weight I carry, but at 15 yards I don't see any significant difference between a 115 & 124.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I got caught up a bit too much in the "math" of it all.

And "No". I have never seen 90 grain loads on any store shelf. Not for 9mm.

The gun I will be using these are my Glock 19s. Which brings us to another point.

Everyone knows about the warning Glock gives about not shooting lead bullets. And I have NEVER shot a one out of my Glocks.

However, I spent the weekend reading the lyman cast bullet reloading manual, and what I got out of it all was that there were different kinds of lead.

That for use in traditional muzzleloading bullets, say, on a lymans plains rifle, or a TC New Englander, or Hawkens, one would use pure, or very soft lead.

But for semiautos one would use a harder lead with tin & antimony added. Like lyman's #2 lead, or akin to wheel weight make up. Thus, making leading of the barrels on Glock a non issue.

Once again, if that doesnt sound right to folks, Id rather hear it now, than coming back showing pics of a blown barrel, lol.

I tend to think that the lyman info is correct. It explains why so many have shot (hard) lead cast bullets out of Glocks with no problems.

Another article I read (somewhere), had the author going off on people simply saying "cast lead bullets", when they should have been saying "hard cast lead bullets". Which once again seems to confirm the lyman info.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    IMHO those little 90gr bullets were probably desighned for the 380's. Buy a mold for at least 115gr. I prefer the 124gr bullets myself.
    Coffeecup brings forward a point that is being overlooked totally. Short loaded OAL rounds feed poorly in MOST 9mm guns. Unless a hollow base (unlikely in a normal mold), a 90 grain .355-.356 projectile has no choice but to be SHORT. This would leave precious little bullet crimped in the brass, balanced poorly by short overall length. Do the math yourself.

Terry
    HotGuns and SIGP250 like this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I have shot plenty lead in my Glocks, not much of a problem, but it does seem harder to clean lead out of a polygonal rifled barrel vs lands and grooves. That is one of the reasons I find myself migrating away from my Glocks. I really enjoy casting and shooting lead. I do have a Lone Wolf barrel for my G23 but it's a 9mm conversion barrel, it does well with lead but I just as soon shoot my Hi Powers.

Just make sure and scrub that G19 barrel good after shooting lead, or better yet get a Lone Wolf barrel for it. Your gonna love casting your own bullets. Good skill to have during shortages too !
    SIGP250 likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I didn't have much trouble shooting lead from my sons Glock. What I did find is that to shoot lead without lead fouling you need to have that bullet fit the bore of the gun. a Loose fit will leave lots of fouling behind.

Good luck DR

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Glock says "no lead" danger of a KaBOOM ! I think it is a lawsuit thing myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links