Best Defense Ammo for SR1911 CMD

This is a discussion on Best Defense Ammo for SR1911 CMD within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you who carry the Ruger SR1911 CMD, do you have a preferred brand of JHP? Also, has anyone had any bad experiences ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By sensei2
  • 2 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By Calvito

Thread: Best Defense Ammo for SR1911 CMD

Best Defense Ammo for SR1911 CMD

For those of you who carry the Ruger SR1911 CMD, do you have a preferred brand of JHP? Also, has anyone had any bad experiences with a particular brand? I'm not concerned as much with ballistics numbers and testing as I am with making sure it goes BANG when I need it to. (No offense intended toward those who like to research and talk about ballistics numbers and testing.)

As much as I would like to spend hundreds of dollars running various types of ammo through my gun to determine what feeds best, I am hoping the fine folks here at DC can help me narrow down my options.

Thanks in advance for helping me save a little time and money.

2. Remove Ads

No matter what you choose to try, you will still need to run some through YOUR gun to make certain it likes them. Pick a top of the line SD ammo from a reputable manufacturer and see if your gun will run them 100%.

CCI Gold Dot, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Hornady, CorBon, DoubleTap - pick something that looks good to you. IMO, the difference between brands is not nearly as significant as feed reliability, and hitting the bad guy in a vital spot.

I have had experience with all the brands I named except DoubleTap, and I've had total ignition reliability with all of them. Feed reliability varied a bit and I had a few older Federal Hydra-Shocks in .45ACP hang up on the feed ramp of two guns, one of which was a 1911 Kimber Gold Match.

Your gun should be reasonably broken in before running your tests, but most of my pistols have run well from the start, so I fed them premium SD ammo fairly early.

If your is reliable with FMJ, I would consider one or two 20-25 round boxes enough, IF they run perfectly through your Ruger. Just be sure you also use/test all your magazines.
    ugh762x39, Cuda66 and Calvito like this.

I'd agree with the above.

Run a few hundred rounds of ball, and if no issues, buy a box of a proven JHP (I'd suggest 230gr, since that's what the majority of proven loads run). Run a couple of magazines of the JHP, and if it's reliable and accurate, buy a few more boxes and stock up.

As for other people suggesting what their SR runs...it really doesn't matter. Just because one person's pistol likes a particular round, there is no guarantee that your pistol--even if it's the same model--will like it.
    Last edited by Cuda66; March 30th, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
    sensei2 and Calvito like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks for the good advice. This is my first 1911 and I've heard they can be finicky. I'll run a few more hundred rounds of FMJ through and try a few boxes of quality defense rounds and go from there.
    Cuda66 likes this.

I put 200 to 400 rounds of FMJ through a new gun to test for infant mortality. Then I start with a box or two of my favorite self-defense ammo in that caliber. If it works great, if not I try different manufacturers. My favorite ammo for .45 ACP is the Winchester PDX1 230 grain. All of my pistols in .45 ACP feed it reliably.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I too run pdx-1 in my 1911. I also carry it in my shield. Haven't had a single problem with it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Calvito View Post
    Thanks for the good advice. This is my first 1911 and I've heard they can be finicky. I'll run a few more hundred rounds of FMJ through and try a few boxes of quality defense rounds and go from there.
    Well...it's not an exclusively 1911 thing; I do the same thing with Glocks, M&P's, etc...

About the only gun I wouldn't consider it quite as important would be a revolver...but I'd still put a good many practice rounds downrange as well as a cylinder or two of carry ammo, just to get acquainted before I will carry it...

Even though that means I have to spend more time shooting...oh, what a difficult thing!

Links