Loaded mags??

This is a discussion on Loaded mags?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it OK to keep spare mags loaded all times?Should you switch every so often and unload them?Will the springs get weak?...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 6 Post By shockwave
  • 2 Post By NavyVet1959
  • 1 Post By oscar1
  • 3 Post By PEF
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Loaded mags??

Loaded mags??

Is it OK to keep spare mags loaded all times?Should you switch every so often and unload them?Will the springs get weak?

2. Remove Ads

This question comes up a lot. What wears a spring out is the act of compressing and uncompressing. Thus a mag loaded is not wearing out the spring.

If you do the physic calculations, you can probably make a case that a spring under tension wears more quickly than an unloaded one, but the difference is so little as to be immaterial. If you ever need a mag in an emergency, you'll probably not have the luxury of being able to load it.

I keep all mine fully loaded.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Every mag that I own is always kept loaded and every gun in my safe is loaded.

EDITED:

Seems that the rest of my original comment offended someone with its brutal honesty and got censored. Sorry for being so frank.

How about this instead?

"You never know when someone might be breaking down your door (i.e. home invasion or other situation) and you are not going to have time to load your magazines at that point."
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; March 31st, 2014 at 01:08 AM.
    airslot and Dan060 like this.

Yes it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    this question comes up a lot. What wears a spring out is the act of compressing and uncompressing. Thus a mag loaded is not wearing out the spring.

If you do the physic calculations, you can probably make a case that a spring under tension wears more quickly than an unloaded one, but the difference is so little as to be immaterial. If you ever need a mag in an emergency, you'll probably not have the luxury of being able to load it.

I keep all mine fully loaded.
    ^^^^ exactly ^^^^
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Cops keep magazines loaded all the time, so they must be cop proof, which is synonymous with indestructible.
    LimaCharlie likes this.

VIP Member
    I have a spare set and rotate them. There's really no need to do so but it comforts my OCD!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    My hands are exquisitely manicured every week. Loading and unloading magazines quickly sullies my hands so that they are indistinguishable from the hands of those who, shall we say, occupy lesser stations in life.

If you insist on unloading and reloading your magazines, I suggest that you have your domestic help perform this task.
    RebelSoul, DetChris and shockwave like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

OK, I promised to make this a sticky but I never got around to it. One of these days... Meanwhile:

YES - on nearly every modern gun, you may keep your magazines FULLY LOADED with no compromise in function or decrease in spring force.

What "wears out" or weakens your magazine springs is simply using them - the act of hundreds or thousands of loading/unloading cycles over time will reduce the spring force. How soon this happens depends on a number of factors and there is no set number or time at which your mag springs need to be replaced. The gun will tell you.

What is amusing is that the myth persists about "cycling" your magazines or unloading them to let the springs "rest." We've had people post here that they religiously empty their mags every night to save spring life, yet this misguided practice actually shortens the spring's life!
    airslot, SIGP250 and DetChris like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Sticky! Sticky! Sticky!

Other than that...ditto what these more experienced folks say. But I do rotate my mags just for fun. But that's just me...YMMV.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some fully loaded mags over time "may" cause the springs to take a set, which may or may not affect performance (per Wolff Spring Co.). Compressing/decompressing springs does cause wear, but the spring doesn't know the difference between being compressed immediately after use or months afterwards. The spring doesn't know the difference between being decompressed by firing or by manually emptying. It makes no difference how you store them.

I keep a couple of mags full for immediate use, the rest are empty until needed. When the first zombies show up, I'll start loading the rest.
    DetChris likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    OK, I promised to make this a sticky but I never got around to it. One of these days... Meanwhile:

YES - on nearly every modern gun, you may keep your magazines FULLY LOADED with no compromise in function or decrease in spring force.

What "wears out" or weakens your magazine springs is simply using them - the act of hundreds or thousands of loading/unloading cycles over time will reduce the spring force. How soon this happens depends on a number of factors and there is no set number or time at which your mag springs need to be replaced. The gun will tell you.

What is amusing is that the myth persists about "cycling" your magazines or unloading them to let the springs "rest." We've had people post here that they religiously empty their mags every night to save spring life, yet this misguided practice actually shortens the spring's life!
    I recently had this exact discussion with my nephew, currently a US Army Major (WestPoint grad with 5 deployments). Apparently, the "myth" is perpetuated as official Army policy: cycle magazines in order to as he said, verbatim, "let the springs rest."

Personally, I usually keep magazines loaded for all my carry pistols. Since I have 3-10 mags for each pistol, I might get lazy and not always keep all mags loaded for every gun. I'm more likely to rotate pistols than magazines.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links