Rhodesian Jungle 12 Gauge for Home Defense?

Rhodesian Jungle 12 Gauge for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on Rhodesian Jungle 12 Gauge for Home Defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Video results with slow motion footage can be found here: The Rhodesian Jungle The Rhodesian Jungle shotgun shell is one of the many "exotic" rounds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Rhodesian Jungle 12 Gauge for Home Defense?

Question Rhodesian Jungle 12 Gauge for Home Defense?

Video results with slow motion footage can be found here:

The Rhodesian Jungle

The Rhodesian Jungle shotgun shell is one of the many "exotic" rounds you can purchase online. It is comprised of a standard 12 gauge shell that is loaded with both buckshot and birdshot. Apparently the birdshot is supposed to destroy any small vegetation barrier while the buckshot continues through killing your target.

Good For Home Defense?

We decided to test the Rhodesian Jungle because of the claims made on the packaging. I purchased this load from FireQuest.com, and they claim that this shell is "great for home defense".

The testing Setup

For our test we used 10% ordinance gelatin. Our block was purchased from clearballistics.com. We fired the Rhodesian Jungle through the Remington 870 at roughly ten feet.

Results

Firing the Rhodesian jungle was a breeze. The recoil felt similar to a low recoil buckshot load. The Rhodesian Jungle spread a decent amount after the ten foot trip to the target. We measured a four inch pattern on target which is an acceptable yet unimpressive pattern for only ten feet. Surprisingly the buckshot seemed to have passed over the top of the gelatin. We only recovered three out of the six lead balls.

Upon striking the target the birdshot immediately began arcing towards the outside of the block. This expanded the damaged area to roughly five inches. An immense amount of energy was released by the steel shot. Some of the BB's created permanent cavities roughly a quarter inch in diameter.

Most of the BBs penetrated anywhere from six to eight inches, while the three buckshot penetrated between fourteen and fifteen inches. The deepest penetrating part of the shell was a piece of buckshot that made it to the fifteen inch mark.

Home Defense Conclusions

I would not recommend this ammunition for home defense for a few reasons.

1. The lack of penetration makes this round unreliable for self defense use.

2. At around five dollars a shell, the ammunition is incredibly expensive. If you rely on a shotgun for home defense, there are a lot cheaper more capable rounds out there that I would recommend before the Rhodesian Jungle.
    CIBMike and StormRhydr like this.

Distinguished Member
    Buy some 00 buckshot and be done with the gimmicks.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

That doesn't look like 10% ordinance gel that's clear gel. Did you calibrate it? What's the dimensions of the gel?

Agree with molleur stick to buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    That doesn't look like 10% ordinance gel that's clear gel. Did you calibrate it? What's the dimensions of the gel?

Agree with molleur stick to buckshot.
    We use the FBI ballistic gelatin block from clearballistics.com The block is calibrated to meet the specifications necessary for testing. This particular block is 10% ordinance gel measured at 16"X6"X6". The reason why it is only semi-clear is because this type of gelatin gradually yellows after each use. Thanks for the question! :)

If it's 10% ballistics gel then it has to be shot at 40deg F or less and should be calibrated with a .177 steel bb at 600 fps +- 10 fps making not of the depth of penetration of the bb. I've seen many gel shots and 10% ballistics gel is never clear. Might be that the vendor is saying it replicates 10% ballistics gel results.

Good Lord! I just looked at the price of ballistics gell at that web site. I didnt think it was cheap, but darn.

I dont see me shooting gell any time soon, lol.
    fredg53 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I didn't need a gel test to accurately guess the test results.

By the way, there is no gelatin in it; it is synthetic.

generally speaking I avoid ANY ammunition that is sold in a blister pac. I have never found anything to be worth the cardboard it is printed on in such a case. 10 bucks buys 5 rounds or more of buckshot and doesnt rely on some crappy name to sell it...
    NONAME762 and RemMod597 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Nice review and I happen to like 000 for my defense round but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    If it's 10% ballistics gel then it has to be shot at 40deg F or less and should be calibrated with a .177 steel bb at 600 fps +- 10 fps making not of the depth of penetration of the bb. I've seen many gel shots and 10% ballistics gel is never clear. Might be that the vendor is saying it replicates 10% ballistics gel results.
    Thanks for your concerns. It's important that we try to replicate the testing environments of other shooters so we have comparable data. Let me first dispel a few myths. Our gelatin is 10% ordnance gel. It does not contain any organic material and technically would not be classified as a gelatin, but because the term is so widely accepted it is referred to as such. I have personally calibrated these blocks and they meet the FBI requirements for testing. No where in the protocol for testing does it state that the testing block must be kept at a certain temperature.

On our channel we try to give information in a quick and entertaining way. Sometimes this means we have to skip some details. There are actually six tests that must be done to fully examine a rounds performance. We do not have the time or resources to complete these. No one wants to watch a forty five minute video, and they would be too costly for our channel to produce. This is why we choose to complete only the first test. We try our hardest to maintain the testing protocols established by the FBI in order to produce valid results. I must admit that we are always improving our testing procedure, and I thank you for giving us some constructive criticism.

All information can be found here: (PDF) http://www.hornadyle.com/assets/site...tap_report.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I didn't need a gel test to accurately guess the test results.

By the way, there is no gelatin in it; it is synthetic.
    You're absolutely right. We call it gelatin because it's what people understand and are searching for on Google. I don't want to bore the audience with details.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Nice review and I happen to like 000 for my defense round but that's just me.
    Thanks! I would love to test some. It's on my list of things to do. :)
    OD* and Taurahe like this.

$18/box of 25 ESTATE 00 buck is good enough for me.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Administrator
    All of the above having been said I think that there are common sense reality based reasons for not using any of the exotic 12s as home defense ammunition regardless of their performance.

It should not take a genius to figure out what those reasons would be.

Can anybody envision how any of the below 12s could cause some additional problems in the legal aftermath of an otherwise justified shooting?
    Even if not in the Criminal but, in the Civil......

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    All of the above having been said I think that there are common sense reality based reasons for not using any of the exotic 12s as home defense ammunition regardless of their performance.

It should not take a genius to figure out what those reasons would be.

Can anybody envision how any of the below 12s could cause some additional problems in the legal aftermath of an otherwise justified shooting?
    Even if not in the Criminal but, in the Civil......

I think the very scientific drawing would help your defense! ;) In all seriousness these rounds should not be considered for this exact reason. DA's go to town on hollow points I can't imagine what would happen with these.
    QKShooter and OD* like this.

All the crazy shot gun shells on the market are really great for one thing. Watching videos of the crazy Russian test them. Buck shot it is for me.
    QKShooter likes this.

Yeah, I really don't get the "specialty shotgun ammo" market. Is anybody complaining about the lack of stopping power of 12 gauge buckshot?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links