Prepping .30-06 case necks/mouths?

This is a discussion on Prepping .30-06 case necks/mouths? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so, I have on the way: Lee .30-06 Neck resizing die, Lee .30-06 bullet seater die in this combo: Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By denclaste

Thread: Prepping .30-06 case necks/mouths?

Alright, so,

I have on the way: Lee .30-06 Neck resizing die, Lee .30-06 bullet seater die in this combo:

Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 30-06 Springfield

Box of 100 A-Max 155 gr .308:

Hornady A-Max Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 155 Grain Boat Tail Box of

...and I have 60 firing formed casings that will be loaded for use in the same rifle they were formed in.

I don't have a tumbler. Do I need to do any special preparation to the case necks and mouths before resizing/charging/seating?
    Home cooked always tastes better.

VIP Member
    No special prep needed but it is a good idea to lightly chamfer the case neck to ease starting the bullet into the case mouth.
    ChrisATX and OldVet like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I would check them for case length, and trim as required.

Assuming your gun is a conventional bolt action, only neck sizing should be required. In other actions (pump, lever, auto) which lack the camming action of the bolt, full-length resizing may be required to avoid sticky extraction - especially if 'warmer' loads are used.
    ChrisATX, msgt/ret and Bad Bob like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You may get away with neck sizing only and you may not. Try a couple first and see if they will chamber easily and allow you to close the bolt without undue force. When the brass is new a light chamfer of the mouth will really help; once fired I don't know. If your '06 is a competition bolt gun there are many other steps to use. If its your hunting rifle go with what you have and enjoy shooting it.
    Bad Bob and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My opinions:
    No tumbler needed really. Wipe the cases down to remove any die-damaging grit. Get a pack of pipe cleaners, bend over on end about an inch, and use that to scrub the inside of the neck to remove soot, grit, etc. Only takes a second per, and a tray of cases is done in no time.

Check case length and trim as needed after resizing. Definitely inside/outside chamfer case mouth if trimming, helps even if not.

You may find necked-sized cases may not chamber easily. It's a bad time to find that out when trying to get a follow-up shot on a nice buck. If it works with neck sizing, all the better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links