SD ammo based on weight

This is a discussion on SD ammo based on weight within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone consider weight of the ammo? Replaced the liberty defense with hornady critical duty and it's very noticeable. Not switching back but would consider a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SD ammo based on weight

SD ammo based on weight

Anyone consider weight of the ammo? Replaced the liberty defense with hornady critical duty and it's very noticeable. Not switching back but would consider a lighter round if similar ballistics.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

2. Remove Ads

I typically stick to the heaviest for caliber ammo I can get. 147gr in my 9mm, 180gr in my 40. I've found both with my own redneck McGuyver testing involving a few slabs of ribs, water jugs, and an old jean jacket, and various videos and "gel tests" online that the heavier hollow points tend to penetrate a bit further than a lighter, faster round that has somewhat better expansion. The heavier rounds seem to have a better chance of penetrating deep to hit the vitals after hitting bone.

One day I'd like to be able to concoct a fully clothed "torso" of some sort with ballistics gel, a slab or two of ribs, and some beef heart and liver to test some of my favorite rounds on. But that's going to be an expensive time consuming process that I'm not willing to undertake anytime in the near future.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

Personally, I wouldn't modify my choice of carry ammunition for the sake of saving a couple of ounces in the magazine, particularly if it involves using a gimmick round.
    Chuck808 and CDW4ME like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I'd be more worried about the fact that Critical Duty is designed for police duty style pistols-ones with barrels 4" or longer. It uses a slower burning powder, which will get wasted out the end of shorter barrels. If you're carrying pocket 9 with a 3" barrel, you're better off switching back, or going to Critical Defense. If you're carrying a 4"+ barrel just ignore me.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I give consideration to bullet weight:
    1st requirement is that the ammunition functions 100% in my pistol, POI matching POA, control, and performance.
    357 Sig is a really easy choice, 125 gr.
    In 40, I prefer 180 gr. because it typically produces less recoil and offers good performance.
    45 acp 230 gr. Hydra-Shok is reportedly a great performer and the recoil isn't bad.

Carry weight of the ammo is not part of my consideration.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Yes, partially weight is a critical factor in my 100% always carry. In .45 nope.

7000 grains in a pound, 437.5 grains in an ounce. Difference between 115gr and 124 gr ammo 10 gr. Mag capacity of 16 rounds is 160 grains heaver than 16 round of 115gr. Put another way difference is 160 grains which would be barely heavier than carrying an extra 115 grain round in your gun. So carrying 17 rounds instead of 16.

I carry the heaviest round my gun will run.
    CommonCents likes this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I assume you're referring to bullet weight such as bullet size, not not how much it makes your gun weigh. What caliber are you shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.w.daugherty View Post
    Anyone consider weight of the ammo? Replaced the liberty defense with hornady critical duty and it's very noticeable. Not switching back but would consider a lighter round if similar ballistics.

Distinguished Member
    I choose the most effective cartridges available for whatever I carry, regardless of weight.
    I like heavy bullets!
    OldVet likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I carry .230 grain bullets in my .45 because that's what I want to carry in it. The brand name really doesn't matter much to me--I have several and they all work fine. A mountain of ballistic testing is unlikely to change my mind. (Glockman10mm said it was best, and that's reason enough!)

I carry 124 Grain Fed. hydra-shoks in my 9mm because that's what was available, that's what my son got for me, and I haven't seen any reliable reports of failure in civilian use. I may shift to 147 grain SD ammo down the road--possibly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    7000 grains in a pound, 437.5 grains in an ounce. Difference between 115gr and 124 gr ammo 10 gr. Mag capacity of 16 rounds is 160 grains heaver than 16 round of 115gr. Put another way difference is 160 grains which would be barely heavier than carrying an extra 115 grain round in your gun. So carrying 17 rounds instead of 16...
    OP wasn't talking about the difference between 115 gr. and 124 gr. bullets. He was comparing a 50 gr. Liberty Defense and a 130 gr. Hornady Critical Duty.

In a 16-round double-stack, it works out to about three ounces. Not a whole lot, but definitely noticeable in a lightweight gun. I wouldn't use a substandard bullet just to save 3 ounces though!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Weight has never been an issue with me. I routinely carry a 5" 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm plus a spare magazine The ammo is either a Winchester PDX1 230 grain .45 ACP or a Winchester Silvertip 175 grain 10mm. I subscribe to the go big or stay home philosophy.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    357 Sig is a really easy choice, 125 gr.

Carry weight of the ammo is not part of my consideration.
    I've gone to a winter load when in Northern NV & Montana which is the 357 Sig 147gr. JHP 20rds

When we tested the load on bullet resistance glass it performed as well as the 40 S&W 180 load. 3 out of the 4 layer of material!

Ballistic Glass Tests - 9mm +P+, 357 Sig, 40 SW, 45 ACP

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

For me it is a balance of weight and velocity. In slow moving bullets I go heavy (.38 special 158 grain, .45acp 230 grain) but I prefer something about 124-127 grains (9mm or .357 magnum) moving 1200fps or better.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I carry a 45. I have read all kinds of info on what grain, velocity, and barrel length it needs to be in order to perform effectively. Certainly because it's on the internet, it's true!

Minimum 185gr Max 230gr, 1000 fps (whatever powder load it takes to push it at least that fast) and a minimum 3.6 inch barrel to help get the velocity and give some reasonable accuracy for a very stressed shooting situation.

All this works in theory. I hope I never have to find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links