Interesting .380 ballistics test

This is a discussion on Interesting .380 ballistics test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E This guy recommends carrying FMJ instead of JHP for defense in a .380, do you agree? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Interesting .380 ballistics test

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E

This guy recommends carrying FMJ instead of JHP for defense in a .380, do you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    NO! It will go straight through. Look up ammoquest on youtube by shootingthebull410. He does comprehensive clear gel and denim with organic gel testing on all the top SD .380 ammo's available. Watch what happens when they don't expand.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Yep, I agree. I avoid JHP in .380. I want to insure penetration above all if I have to hold my nose and carry a .380.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    ^
    Me too.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Well then, enjoy liability when the round goes through a body and hits a bystander. I will utilize a performing JHP.
    EdJean, DanielC, Daishin and 2 others like this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    Well then, enjoy liability when the round goes through a body and hits a bystander. I will utilize a performing JHP.
    Be sure of your target and what's behind it.

But I do agree somewhat, I will be looking for a +p JHP most likely after watching this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

The rule Chad mentions above still applies, even when one is under assault. The liability isn't mitigated either the emergency situation or by a hollow point. Strangely enough, the terminal ballistic performance of bullets aren't as predictable as most folks seem to desire them to be and the bullets don't behave nearly as uniformly as represented in print or in forum thread. The hollow point that still gets through, whether because it doesn't open up or else despite its opening up, still has a lawyer attached to it. Never ever feel smug or even certain about hollow point performance.

I want penetration above all with the .380 and I will have penetration.

Bad Bob, 10thmtn, DingBat and 3 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    An effective round will reliably penetrate through the target. A round that does not have enough energy to penetrate the target is too small a load for that target.

What about the rounds that miss? Don't a majority of defensive shooting shots miss? Liability is attached regardless of the makeup of the bullet.

Don't forget that.380 loaded with FMJ pulled out to protect your loved one's in a home...Passengers easily through walls.

just 'bout the action boss...

NO! It will go straight through. Look up ammoquest on youtube by shootingthebull410. He does comprehensive clear gel and denim with organic gel testing on all the top SD .380 ammo's available. Watch what happens when they don't expand.
    This is so. Basically the Hornady XTP bullet (used by multiple manufacturers) is designed right - it reliably expands in gel to about 0.45, even after layers of denim, and penetrates to around 14". This is probably the best performance .380 is capable of. The thing to avoid is ammo that expands TOO much, like Hornady Critical Defense with their FTX bullet and Remington Golden Saber, which expand to about 0.53 and .63 respectively, and only penetrate about 8" in bare gelatin. (This was out of a Taurus TCP.). It seems the caliber just doesn't have the energy to drive a wide expanded bullet.

Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull
    DanielC and onacoma like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    On occasion, there is a PPK strapped to my ankle. When this occurs, there is ball ammo in the mag. Some of the most "raved" about 9mm and .380 defensive rounds perform like ball ammo after going through denim or drywall. Show me a ballistics gel test, with a .380 passing through a cow rib and then penetrating another 12 inches and I will become a believer. A small, 90gr. bullet "will" lose too much energy should it strike bone. I prefer reliability over questionable expansion. Especially with the diminutive .380.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

don't own a .380, however I would think that a good, full power load in JHP ought to be able to do the job. You want your round to stop IN the target, dumping all of its kinetic energy into your attacker, not go straight through him.

Although I would not call a .380 diminutive; it has the same bullet diameter as a 9mm, .002" smaller than a .357 Magnum.. and only 2mm shorter than a 9mm Luger.. its not a massive round, in any dimension, but I'd hesitate to call it diminutive.

I think the other factor at play here is what feeds and fires reliably in your specific pistol, so I don't think a solid YES or NO vote either way is definitive or the end all be all for whether you should carry JHP or FMJ in this caliber.. in smaller calibers, such as 32acp, 25acp, and 22lr, you can absolutely make a definitive statement and decision.. I feel that is not so with .380.

tag
    Since a .380 is so weak shooting someone with a .380 will only piss them off why worry about over penetration. You can't hurt a bystander unless you hit them in the eye.

BTW, I carry a .380 pocket pistol everyday with Hornady Critical Defense JHP. If I ever need it I'm sure I could change an attackers attitude.
    heritage1865 likes this.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

IMHO I have no problem with FMJ in a .380, I did some informal testing on my own an use several major manufactureres the starfire jhps did a really nice job going through 4 layers denium I think might have been two layers was awhile ago an went through two jugs of water stopped in third all expanded good enough for me. Plus they fed really well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yep, I agree. I avoid JHP in .380. I want to insure penetration above all if I have to hold my nose and carry a .380.
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    ^
    Me too.
    Me three.

And I think others here have 9x18 and 9x19 confused, as far as the performance of a ball round goes.

I have severe doubts as to a .380's ability to pass through bone, pass through the body, possibly pass through bone again, and then penetrate the exiting side skin, and finally the clothing, and still having enough energy to be dangerous.

Sorry; I just don't see that low velocity, lightweight bullet that quite likely has been yawing in it's travels doing that.
    OD*, Bad Bob, Echo_Four and 1 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links