hydroshock for law enforcment better? - Page 2

hydroshock for law enforcment better?

This is a discussion on hydroshock for law enforcment better? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some LEO Hydrashok's are loaded hotter (those with a +P+ rating.) IMHO, they are a good load, but I would look at Cor-Bon DPX, Gold ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Some LEO Hydrashok's are loaded hotter (those with a +P+ rating.) IMHO, they are a good load, but I would look at Cor-Bon DPX, Gold Dot, and Win. Rangers first.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth has it, their mail order business might sell you some.
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/defenseh_cah.htm

That's where I ordered my hydra-shok 185gr +P .45's from, but they have no mention of the HST2's.

Are you talking about the new Federal HST ammo? (Hydra Shock Two)

It's only listed in the Federal LE catalog, but there are a few places around here (DFW) where you can buy it.

And yes, the HST is better than the original Hydra Shock.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

and

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-1.html

sorry bro, but they are not hydra-shoks 2, they're hi-shock 2s. 9mm 124 standard pressure, my personal carry load; a fine round, just look at some of the info i've put up. not to mention, hyra-shoks have failed to expand when shot through only 4 layers of denim on many occasions, not true with hst. read up; it's all here.

As far as I know, the ammo the police use is pretty much the same as the stuff we can buy.

I have always heard that you should find out what ammo your cities PD issues and then try to use the same ammo. That way, if you are involved in a defensive shooting, you cannot be accused of using ammo that was overly dangerous, what ever that means.

I don't know if I agree with that but it would be interesting to know what the local PD carries in their guns.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

About the HST's.... You can get them on line at streichers police supply. They will sell them to the public I got mine from them and some from gun shows. It's a rule federal made that says civilans cant have them ,Not A Law, thats why they are so hard to get. But to be safe check your state laws because some states outlaw hollow points from what I hear. Dont know if its true or not.

Most people dont know it but reg hydra shocks are only abot 60% loaded the federal hydra shock in the tactical is (aka) the law enforcement round or +P is a much better round than the reg because it has 40% more power behind it and it will bark when firied from the 45acp or any other caliber for that matter!!!But yet they still charge a premium dollar for reg hydra shocks...thats why i only buy the tactical kind!!!!!Just my 2 cents....the newest fed Hst round is actually a better round than the hydra shocks!!!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Are you talking about the new Federal HST ammo? (Hydra Shock Two)

It's only listed in the Federal LE catalog, but there are a few places around here (DFW) where you can buy it.

And yes, the HST is better than the original Hydra Shock.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

and

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-1.html
    I called Federal and Winchester about this.

MOST of the big manufactures will not sell a +P, or +P+ cartridge to civilians.

What this means they don't sell much of it through big stores like Walmart and Dicks.

That is not a law but rather an ammo company policy what they due do, is they sell HST's and EFMJ's that are +P and anything +P to LE Dealers and distrubters. Most Gun stores are "LE Dealers because alot of small podunk police departments buy there ammo in bulk from those stores. Now since he can order +P he (the dealer) turns around and sells it to Joe Civilian. Its not against any laws its just company policy to CYA.

+P means exceeds recommended pressures by design of the orginal cartridge. If a manufactor put out a cartridge that was +P in lets say 9mm and said go ahead and shoot this out of a Glock and the gun blows up they may have an issue since the industry says do not put a +p cartridge in any gun that is not marked plus P thats were the +P .38's come in. Now most or all of us know modern guns built with better metals with stand +p but manufactures still don't want to "make it available in to civilians out of huge retail stores" thats why most of that stuff you get it on-line or from gunstores.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; May 8th, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Mine are rocket-powered...arent' yours?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Mine are rocket-powered...arent' yours?
    Stop that! You almost made me fall out of my chair laughing.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Not a big fan of the HS rounds - our department issue too.

Here are a couple images from ammo testing between the winchester RA series and the federal HS series. All are .40 caliber. They alternate across the board 165gr (win/fed) then 180gr (win/fed)

Another thing some ammo companies will not do is sell 'bonded' ammo outside of LE distribution channels.

There are five cartridges (four handgun and one rifle) recognized by SAAMI as +p. There are NO cartridges recognized by SAAMI as +p+.

Randy

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I had to laugh about "tactical" shotgun ammo not being sold up here as it was designed for LEO's, except they were talking about reduced loads for shotguns!! Federal 3" mag slugs were way more powerful than the tactical stuff, I just wanted it for a reduced penetration round. Thanks for the photo's will have to look closely at the pic's.

Law enforcement and tactical are promotional descriptioins only neither one will make the bullet better.
    The ammo the same but the box may be 50 rounds instead of 20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links