hydroshock for law enforcment better?

This is a discussion on hydroshock for law enforcment better? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the hydroshock for law enforcment better than civilian carry> It seems like it must be if its in a class of its own and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the hydroshock for law enforcment better than civilian carry> It seems like it must be if its in a class of its own and not available for civs

Lead Moderator
    ??? I have Hydroshocks in my 1911 right now. they are sold commercially. I don't feel Hydroshocks are any better than any other premium bullet design used. PD's change brands they carry often. At least the 1 I worked for did.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

hydroshocks a hydroshock doesn't matter who has them.

anybody can buy them. we carried them for years, then about two years ago we went to gold dot. don't know why, we just did. both shoot good and do the job at hand. still carry hydro +p+ in my model 60. that's the last of the issue ammo hydro's.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    In 2 years I saw 3 diffrent brands of ammo cycle thru our dept.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Are you talking about the new Federal HST ammo? (Hydra Shock Two)

It's only listed in the Federal LE catalog, but there are a few places around here (DFW) where you can buy it.

And yes, the HST is better than the original Hydra Shock.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

and

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-1.html

So where can you buy .45 HST?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I truly hate the "law inforcement only' thang. To me it is a marketing ploy that we the end user should be able to see thru.

What's happening ?? >>>>> Is the manufacturer trying to say that we(me and you),the general public, should not be able/allowed to purchase this ammo because we (us "civilians") aren't worthy of such a great product. Or >>>> the product works way to good for us to allow any "civilian" from owning/using it.

Never could figure this marketing ploy out.

There are way too many great loads out in the general market for me to spend my money on some kinda ballistic "cure all".

In any event,to me,if something seems to good to be true,.....well....you know. ----
    Last edited by RSSZ; January 2nd, 2007 at 07:39 AM.

I don't know if there is any difference or not, but I can tell you the reg Hydrashocks do a fine job. I have carried them in all my guns for many years.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    I truly hate the "law inforcement only' thang. To me it is a marketing ploy that we the end user should be able to see thru.

What's happening ?? >>>>> Is the manufacturer trying to say that we(me and you),the general public, should not be able/allowed to purchase this ammo because we (us "civilians") aren't worthy of such a great product. Or >>>> the product works way to good for us to allow any "civilian" from owning/using it.

Never could figure this marketing ploy out.

There are way too many great loads out in the general market for me to spend my money on some kinda ballistic "cure all".

In any event,to me,if something seems to good to be true,.....well....you know. ----
    I'm 99% certain that this is a marketing ploy aimed at police bureaucrats who make the purchasing decisions. Usually they are chair-borne rangers who need to be convinced that what they are buying is made specifically for the LE community.

I don't think there is any conspiracy against civilian purchasers. After something catches on, many non-police FFLs will get demands for the stuff and start selling it as well. Meanwhile anyone can buy the ammo from any police supplier/distributor.

I'm another believer in Hydra-Shoks and use them in all my carry guns from .38Sp to .45ACP. I will be looking into the HST2s however.
    NRA Instructor

info from le.atk.com

thanks guys i am just going by what i have seen on the web. I have HST, but I think your right I am talking about HST and the 200 gr EFMJ that federal had but doesnt list in there catalog only in the tactical law enforcement at LE.ATK.COM-law enforcement(http://le.atk.com/Interior.asp?secti...ol_tatical.asp)

Quote Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
    So where can you buy .45 HST?
    Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth has it, their mail order business might sell you some.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhabit View Post
    thanks guys i am just going by what i have seen on the web. I have HST, but I think your right I am talking about HST and the 200 gr EFMJ that federal had but doesnt list in there catalog only in the tactical law enforcement at LE.ATK.COM-law enforcement(http://le.atk.com/Interior.asp?secti...ol_tatical.asp)
    HS is a good bullet- as long as it's pushed fast. Wichita PD was using a +/-900-1100 fps, 148 grain load I believe, a few years ago, and expansion was less than stellar. Just something to bear in mind.

Administrator
    As others have stated, hydroshoks are hydroshoks. The markings on the package are not only a marketing ploy, but an attempt to avoid a certain amount of liability as well. Certainly deadly ammunition shouldnt be made for sale to the general public.

The newer HST is 'state-of-the-art' in bullet design...

Cor-Bon's DPX is also in that league and many consider the best-of-the-best in defensive ammunition ahead of the Federal offering...

Dead
    1911 Magazine Solution (7 for carry - 8 for fun).Use seven round magazines/flat follower with dimple, 11 lb magazines springs - PERIOD! Don't blame the 1911 platform if you have FtF, FtE, or anything else magazine related. THIS IS BROWNING'S DESIGN - YOU ARE WARNED! Avatar = KaBoom! G21

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links