Lake City 5.56mm bulk boxes

This is a discussion on Lake City 5.56mm bulk boxes within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see this stuff all over the place and have only used the factory new 20 round boxes myself. I do have a question about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake City 5.56mm bulk boxes

Lake City 5.56mm bulk boxes

I see this stuff all over the place and have only used the factory new 20 round boxes myself. I do have a question about these bulk boxes. Are they Military rejects or anything like that? Has anyone used them and experienced any problems I should know about prior to ordering some of this ammo to try? hard primers? dud rounds? anything at all?

Thanks
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

I use it. never a problem. I have used around 5K of the stuff.

I use it a lot. I've never had any issues with it and if I shop around it's usually a pretty good price.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I use quite a bit of it. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I see this stuff all over the place and have only used the factory new 20 round boxes myself. I do have a question about these bulk boxes. Are they Military rejects or anything like that? Has anyone used them and experienced any problems I should know about prior to ordering some of this ammo to try? hard primers? dud rounds? anything at all?

Thanks
    Am at the bottom of a 500 round loose-pack carton. Zero problems. No duds, squibs, or even malfunctions. Doesn't seem to burn exceptionally cleaner or dirtier than anything else

Thanks everyone. I've always been hesitant to buy this bulk stuff but it's good to know I don't gotta worry about it being a problem if I do.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Most is new some do try to pawn off rejects as new.
    LC is as good as it gets Been shoot it for a long time. Just ordered another 1000 rounds Saturday.
    LC is often Sold under the Federal label also.

I think some of it is over run especily the XM stuff.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I see this stuff all over the place and have only used the factory new 20 round boxes myself. I do have a question about these bulk boxes. Are they Military rejects or anything like that? Has anyone used them and experienced any problems I should know about prior to ordering some of this ammo to try? hard primers? dud rounds? anything at all? Thanks
    I’ve read before how they, Lake City, tool up their 5.56 line for a contracted ordered and how they always "run over" the ordered amount by a certain percent & they sell off the over-runs to the consumer market place in various packaged ways and amounts. Sometimes the over-runs are packaged the way the contracted order was too. If the order called for 1000-rounds to be packaged in a plastic bag & shipped in a box that’s how most of the over-runs end up or if the contract called to be in a can on stripper-clips or maybe not.

It’s the same ammo that they deliver to the contracted party it’s just what’s left over after their order has been signed-sealed-&-delivered. Same as I’ve read that sometimes bulk 22lr and some other loose bulk ammo is what is collected up along the production lines which have lost its way under different circumstances. Nothing wrong with it, it just falls off their beaten path on its way into its intended packaging. Kind ah like cookie crumbs in a Oreo factory which they sell to various food makers like Ben & Jerry’s to put in their ice-cream. Nothing wrong with um they just aren’t whole cookies. So as it’s easier to put a collected bucket of ammo in a bunch of 350-round boxes then too gingerly dump it mid-way back onto and along the line to be packed in a 50-round plastic holder and put into a box.

If it were tainted ammo you would sure hear about it here and no one would buy it. Besides I would guess there is somewhat of a liability factor in manufactures selling questionably-safe ammo for us too fire. And I doubt ammo manufactures like Federal, Remington, and Winchester would want too risk their reputation on selling anything but the best they can produce, because you can be sure that it would be posted about here and else where on the internet.

That’s not to say that a few bad rounds don’t make it to the shelves here or there but they are few and far between I’m guessing. After all it’s man-made and nothing mass produced is 110% perfect 100% of the time.

I worked in a distillery once and if the bottling line malfunctioned, sometimes, once they tapped a big vat of hooch they could not simply just shut it off and all that booze would just have too go down the drain, ever visit a brewery? There's spelt beer all over the floor but they can't just mop it up & bottle it where they can sweep up a bunch of 9mm rounds & put um in ah 100-round box by weight.

Some of the stuff I have consumed over the years sure tasted like it was just mopped up off the floor and re-bottled. Didn't make me go blind,but sure did affect my vision the following day.

Administrator
    Federal Lake City. For what my opinion is worth it's what I always try to buy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I shoot a lot of Federal Lake City 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO bulk ammo with no issues.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Administrator
    Bulk Federal XM193 55gr FMJ is the most accurate in my rifle with a 1/12 twist. I have never had one single issue with it.
    Lately some Israeli stuff has proved to be good high quality 5.56 but, I am sold on Federal Lake City.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Spent some time out back with the youngest shooting off a bunch of .22. Then we went through a bunch more LC 5.56 at the end for fun. Slow and rapid fire, no issues… except that I still can't look at a loaded 30rd magazine without thinking "that's $12 right there."

But it just so happens that $12 is my co-pay if to see a stress-relief therapist...

Thumbs up

I have some old Lake City GI surplus ought six. Of the few fired rounds they worked as they should.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links