Never EVER using Hornady Critical Defense again !!! - G19

This is a discussion on Never EVER using Hornady Critical Defense again !!! - G19 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had fired about 45 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Luger 115 gr. This was all in different occasions at the range, a clip of ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Never EVER using Hornady Critical Defense again !!! - G19

Had fired about 45 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Luger 115 gr. This was all in different occasions at the range, a clip of 15 each time on my Glock 19. No issues any of these times. Then one day I'm at home, where I don't usually keep it chambered, but for the hell of it I try to chamber one. Jam. Bullet is stuck, pressed against the feed ramp and the bullet bellow is putting pressure on it so I have to take the clip out to get it out. I get frustrated. Look for possible causes. Maybe something wrong with the gun, limp wristing, all the usual stuff. I'm using a mighty grip, so no limp wristing. Is it the gun ? Go to the store. Pick up box of Federal 9mm 135 gr HydraShock. Chamber 35 of those, racking the slide 35 times. No issues.

Hornady Critical Defense will never be in my gun again. I think what made the difference from it working at the beginning was that I was doing that with a recently cleaned gun. This time it was dirty. But still, I would not trust an ammunition that does not fire dirty. It has to work no matter what. I took out the barrel and pressed the tip of the Hornadys against the feed ramp. Seems like there's some stickyness there. I've read this in other forums.

Anyway, after frustration, I'm now in relief. A few trips to the range are in order to regain full confidence in my firearm.

Be careful with this ammo.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Welcome to the forum. That's a hell of a first post.

Hornady is good stuff. Maybe you got a bad draw, maybe not. I used to use that in a 238 I had because it fed better than anything else.

While I prefer HST or Gold Dot, instead of manually running a magazine (an iffy practice at best) load it to the guards and unload it on a target just as fast as you can squeeze 'em off. You just might be surprised. No matter how slick you are, you cannot even begin to manually duplicate a live cycling.

Modern guns have to be pretty darn dirty to lock up anymore. Besides, guns are like guys and trucks: they don't like what they don't like.

I stand by what I said earlier, and many will soon back me up: Hornady is fine ammo. Keep in mind, you stated that the gun ran fine when you shot it for real.

Why would it work one day in your gun and not on another?

I won't buy gold dots anymore because I had two out of a box of 25 not fire after many attempts. Sad thing is gold dots are what Le use here in my area.

Thanks for the welcome

My concern, and I've read this in other places, is the rubber polymer tip that the bullet uses. My best guess is that it's sticking to the feed ramp and then once the next bullet starts pushing it's just stuck there.

Just wondering, do you pull the slide all the way back and let go, or ride the slide forward? Limp wristing isn't really an issue except when shooting, but if the spring isn't fully compressed and allowed to return at full speed, it can have basically the same effect.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I had 20 of a 25 round box fail to go boom. never again.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    Why would it work one day in your gun and not on another?

I won't buy gold dots anymore because I had two out of a box of 25 not fire after many attempts. Sad thing is gold dots are what Le use here in my area.
    My best guess is that the feed ramp was clean on the times it worked. I was a lot more OCD about cleaning back then as it was a brand new gun back then, and really only has 750 rounds through it now. Plus, I had fired only 45 rounds on 15 round clips, meaning only 3 rounds were hand chambered. Or it could be a bad draw like multistage said. Anyway, this kind of thing makes you loose trust in the ammunition brand, regardless of it's reputation.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Poor little kittens...

Aside from that, the fault is possibly in the manipulation of the slide, not in the ammo. See if you can duplicate the results by loading up mags with various numbers of rounds in them and cycling them through (SAFELY). If you can't make it happen again, chalk it up to "the slide slipped out of my hand before it was all the way to the rear" or "the mag wasn't fully inserted" or "something just wasn't right, but it's unlikely to have been the brand of ammo."

And, just for my own clarification, how does one limp wrist while manually chambering a round?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by zeo_max View Post
    Had fired about 45 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Luger 115 gr. This was all in different occasions at the range, a clip of 15 each time on my Glock 19. No issues any of these times. Then one day I'm at home, where I don't usually keep it chambered, but for the hell of it I try to chamber one. Jam. Bullet is stuck, pressed against the feed ramp and the bullet bellow is putting pressure on it so I have to take the clip out to get it out. I get frustrated. Look for possible causes. Maybe something wrong with the gun, limp wristing, all the usual stuff. I'm using a mighty grip, so no limp wristing. Is it the gun ? Go to the store. Pick up box of Federal 9mm 135 gr HydraShock. Chamber 35 of those, racking the slide 35 times. No issues.

Hornady Critical Defense will never be in my gun again. I think what made the difference from it working at the beginning was that I was doing that with a recently cleaned gun. This time it was dirty. But still, I would not trust an ammunition that does not fire dirty. It has to work no matter what. I took out the barrel and pressed the tip of the Hornadys against the feed ramp. Seems like there's some stickyness there. I've read this in other forums.

Anyway, after frustration, I'm now in relief. A few trips to the range are in order to regain full confidence in my firearm.

Be careful with this ammo.
    Maybe it was the clips... (clips are for hair and broom handle mausers)
    Brian E
    Firearms Consulting and Training
    Texas Defensive Firearms Training, LLC

VIP Member
    That's a bummer for you. I've used Critical Duty for almost 2 years and love it. Never had an issue. Who knows what happened. But you gotta move on...you have to be confident in what you shoot and you are definitely NOT confident in Critical Defense. I also use Speer Gold Dots...they rock, too!
    Last edited by srings; April 8th, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
    molleur and gatorbait51 like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

But the only time it hangs is when you ride the slide. If you load the magazine, rack it, and fire it, it cycles. That's what you need.

But carrying is about confidence. I'd hate to see you write off good ammo due to this, but if it makes you worry, get some HST or Gold Dots. Maybe Ranger T if you can find it.

Your 19 is about the easiest to feed gun on the planet, I assure you. I'll bet you a steak dinner I can make that thing run with CD all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Just wondering, do you pull the slide all the way back and let go, or ride the slide forward? Limp wristing isn't really an issue except when shooting, but if the spring isn't fully compressed and allowed to return at full speed, it can have basically the same effect.
    I ride the slide. With the new batch of Federal HydraShocks I got, I intentionally returned the slide very slowly to test this. No issues.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Lead Moderator
    No issues with my guns and Critical defense rounds , but I'm not using a Glock either.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    But the only time it hangs is when you ride the slide. If you load the magazine, rack it, and fire it, it cycles. That's what you need.
    Yeah, maybe, but with this happening 10 out of 15 times in one magazines, those aren't good odds.

Anyway, so am I supposed to ride the slide or let it snap back ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    My primary carry weapons are Glock 19 and 26. My "good stuff" ammo includes Hornady critical defense which is "optimized" for short barreled concealed carry weapons. I've never had an issue with it however my normal load for self defense is either Barnes Tac-X PD (a plus p round) or Speer gold dot 147 gr.

A note regarding Hornady. It comes in critical defense 9 as noted it claims to be optimized for concealed carry weapons) or critical duty which is a plus p round that meets fbi standards and is designed for use in full sized weapons with longer barrels. More power, more penetration and enough to power back the slide of a larger weapon. The critical defense might have issues (although I never experienced it) fully powering back the slide.

Some 9 mm weapons have issues shooting 115 gr. cartridges. Not normally a glock problem though. And I shoot tons of the cheap 115 gr. stuff at the range without issues.

One thing to consider, is your magazine original glock? The only time I ever had problems with my glock 23 was when I picked up an off brand mag at a gun show. I had lots of problems which I tracked to that mag. Problem was solved immediately after that mag hit the trash.

Good luck, the Glock 19 is a fantastic weapon
    molleur and gatorbait51 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links