Best 9mm round

This is a discussion on Best 9mm round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what would be the best all around personal defensive round. I am currently carrying 115 grain Hornaday Critical Defense. I should note ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Best 9mm round

Peoples Republic of Illinois (south of I-80 thou)

Best 9mm round

I was wondering what would be the best all around personal defensive round.
    I am currently carrying 115 grain Hornaday Critical Defense.
    I should note that this is out of a 3 1/2" barrel.

sent from my electronic carrier pigeon
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'd stick to something on this list, personally.

Buy some (assuming you can find it) and function test as many rounds as possible to be sure you've got a good pistol/ammo combination.

FWIW, there is no "best" round. There's plenty of good choices but there isn't a best one, other than the one that shoots best out of your pistol.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I would also add, the heaviest round that reliably cycles through your gun. For 9mm, that is 147gr. I also use 124gr +P
    ArkhmAsylm and gatorbait51 like this.

Any quality JHP from a reputable manufacturer is the best.
    gatorbait51 and Rock_Castle like this.

In a conventional JHP...I'd say the 147gr Gold Dots, HST's, or Ranger-T's would win the day. Runner ups would be the same flavors, but in 124gr+P. Honorable mention to Golden Sabers in the same weights and pressures.

However--if one discards price as a factor...the 115gr Barnes Tac-X (loaded by Barnes, or Corbon [DPX], or Black Hills, or several other companies) is, quite possibly, the best performing 9mm bullet to be had...IF--and a really big IF--your pistol feeds it reliably.

In my opinion, of course.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    My favorite is HST.
    Butterdog and gatorbait51 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Ex Member
    I read EVERYTHING I can find on ammo. Hornaday C.D. is tops in EVERY category.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

i carry 147 gr. hydra shok. the bigger the bullet the bigger the hole. you are going to get a lot of different answers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I am using HST from my 3.2" barrel. But I was curious about this lately after doing some research. If the round goes 12"+ through denim or gel or whatever, doesn't that increase the likelihood of injuring someone behind the target?

I would think the best round would be the one that flattens out the biggest and stops in the body (which Ayoob says is the ideal) having expended all it's energy on the BG.

Granted, if the BG is turned partly sideways, 12" would be perfect, but many of these rounds go beyond that. Since we can't ask the BG to stop and face us squarely so our round would have the most stopping power, shouldn't we try to get the best of both worlds? Greatest flattening, and good penetration?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

TVJ
    I dont want to get shot by any JHP.

I use Corbon DPX out my G19
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I am using HST from my 3.2" barrel. But I was curious about this lately after doing some research. If the round goes 12"+ through denim or gel or whatever, doesn't that increase the likelihood of injuring someone behind the target?

I would think the best round would be the one that flattens out the biggest and stops in the body (which Ayoob says is the ideal) having expended all it's energy on the BG.

Granted, if the BG is turned partly sideways, 12" would be perfect, but many of these rounds go beyond that. Since we can't ask the BG to stop and face us squarely so our round would have the most stopping power, shouldn't we try to get the best of both worlds? Greatest flattening, and good penetration?
    The "standard" is 12-18" of penetration. This is to ensure that the round can reach vital organs even with a non-optimal shot, and also ensure that most of the energy is lost inside the BG, so that even if the bullet exits, it's lost enough velocity to be of far less danger to anyone on the other side.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    124gr S&B or Hydra-Shok. Golden Sabres also get my vote. I don't use 147 in 9mm's. 124gr only.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My favorite is HST.
    Same here. Darned good bullet that.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

The best defense round is the hollowpoint that feeds in YOUR gun EVERY time without fail.

The best, most popular, most expensive round is of no use to you, if it won't cycle through your gun reliably.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    147 grain Speer Gold Dots here. Good luck finding them though!
    SwordMaster likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links