22Long and 22Short in 22LR Revolver

This is a discussion on 22Long and 22Short in 22LR Revolver within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read that both 22Long and 22Short are shorter cartridges than 22LR and will function in a 22LR revolver. I know that they would cause ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 22Long and 22Short in 22LR Revolver

Question 22Long and 22Short in 22LR Revolver

I read that both 22Long and 22Short are shorter cartridges than 22LR and will function in a 22LR revolver. I know that they would cause problems in semi-autos.

I'm not looking for a debate about the merits of each cartridge. Just checking to make sure that I won't be harming my SP101 22LR. If I'm correct it will be kind of like firing 38SPL in a 357Mag and I will have to be diligent in cleaning up the extra carbon from the shorter cartridges and accuracy may be affected.

I ask because in this 22LR drought I bought some CCI 22Short and 22Long on a whim from Cabelas just to have something to send downrange.

So, will I be ok shooting those rounds through my SP101?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

It'll be fine & dandy. Just make sure to give the chambers a good solvent brushing & cleaning afterward. The ONLY potential downside of shooting shorts is leaving a lead and powder-residue "ring" in the chamber(s). That can interfere with the later ease of chambering & ejecting longer .22 LR cases.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Read your post and was about to respond, but Ghost Tracker beat me to it.

What he said!
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

thanks guys. I was pretty sure about it but am glad I have a place to double check internet info with some reputable sources.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Have fired loads of .22 Shorts and .22 Longs a Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 over the years with no harm done. The revolver is always cleaned after each use anyway so there would be no issues arising from the practice.

For some few years I had a source of cheap cartons of Winchester Western .22 Longs so I shot cartons of .22 Longs like mad.

This is much the same as shooting .38 Special ammunition in a .357 Magnum chamber.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

There used to be a time when almost all .22 rifles were chambered for -short,long and long rifle. Only the rich kids shot LR, the rest of us shot shorts or CB caps if we were shooting inside the city limits.
    StormRhydr likes this.

My first .22 rifle was a Remington bolt action, that shot all 3 sizes of .22. Many, if not most rifles made back then would shoot all 3 sizes, and its just like coffeecup said.

.22 shorts were the cheapest to shoot, then longs, and long rifle were almost for special occasions, lol. Today, .22 shorts (the ones I have found, and bought), cost more than most .22 LR, and I have not seen .22 longs on the shelf in many a year.

When I was a boy, I shot in NRA/Jr Comp programs where we used exclusively .22 longs. From the CMP, if I recall correctly. We had to "buy" them, but it was at something like 1 cent a round.

Other than the cost, in todays market, for use in revolvers, I like shooting .22 shorts. Less noise, and I can save the .22 lr for guns that only shoot that.

Btw, I have a new S&W airweight .22 snubby, and I wouldnt hesitate to shoot shorts out of it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member
    How abt 22lr in a 22 mag?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Only if it is a convertible with a second cylinder. My Ruger Single-Six can shoot .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. With a cylinder change, it shoots .22 magnum. The standard .22s are all .223 inch diameter while the .22 magnums are .224 inch diameter.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Yep, if a firearm is chambered for a .22 mag & you shoot .22LR ammo the bullet tends to wiggle a bit in the slightly oversized bore. Accuracy suffers correspondingly.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Not a happy combination.

The .22 LR is a "heeled" bullet; the base of the bullet that fits inside the case is a smaller diameter than the part which engages the rifling, so the bullet diameter and the case diameter are very close in size.

The .22 magnum's bullet fits inside its case (lust like most centerfire rounds), so the case is necessarily larger in diameter - about 0.014" larger than the OD of a LR case. That translates to a very sloppy fit for an LR in a .22 WMR chamber The thin brass of the LR case would be marginal for that kind of expansion - it might be fine for 99 out of 100 shots, but that 1 shot in a hundred when the case ruptures could get uncomfortable for the shooter, or messy, or both.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've shot thousands of .38s in .357 chambers, and the same with .22 shorts in LR chambers. Clean your dang gun afterwards and quit worrying about a carbon ring. Geeeze.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've shot quite a few .22 shorts in my Ruger Super Single Six (w/LR cylinder) with no ill effects. I'm sure that your SP-101 will be fine, they are VERY robust!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Agree on the stoutness of the SP101. I've never (ever) HEARD an internet rumor of anyone shooting so much hot .357 mag ammo that it even broke a sweat in an SP. At rimfire pressures, the gun has the half-life of...plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Yep, if a firearm is chambered for a .22 mag & you shoot .22LR ammo the bullet tends to wiggle a bit in the slightly oversized bore. Accuracy suffers correspondingly.
    Well, the .001" oversized bore isn't really the issue. As gasmitty points out, the .014" oversized chamber is. The inadequately supported .22 LR case is at risk of rupturing in a .22 Mag chamber.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links