federal hst vs. ranger t

federal hst vs. ranger t

This is a discussion on federal hst vs. ranger t within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; alright...here is the newest argument of the night. win. rangers or federal's hst round. ok, ok, all you old schoolers are gonna swear by gold ...

Thread: federal hst vs. ranger t

federal hst vs. ranger t

alright...here is the newest argument of the night. win. rangers or federal's hst round. ok, ok, all you old schoolers are gonna swear by gold dots, hydra-shoks, and so on; let's face it, we've all seen sabers seperate from the jacket, gold dots that just bob up, and hydra-shoks that don't expand, not to mention the extreme shock marketing stunt. here is a strait up photo comparison of .40 cal rounds shot through 10 percent ballistic gellatin w/ a g23. two of the most talked about bullets diplayed for your decision making pleasure. note that both bullets were equal in weight, 180 gr. and for the record, hst stands for hi-shok-two, not hydra-shock 2 or hydra-shok tactical. ranger on the left, hst on the right; and yes, that's a f.cking quarter.

let's get it on; anyone have anything they want to add
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Yep, I do. Read the following wound ballistics trials and let's discuss more!

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Pierce%20County%20Workshop.pdf
    http://le.atk.com/pdf/San.pdf

Little more thorough of a study than a couple of recovered bullets
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

My department just switched from the Winchester Ranger 40S&W to Federal HST 180gr. They said after testing the Federal performed much better in most situations.

I agree that the HST look's nasty but I also have something to bring to the table. It's about placement more than anything else. Just because a bullet look's cool when expanded doesn't mean a thing if the placement and penetration is not there. Large expansion can keep a round from penetrating enough depending on the situation, dress, winter, summer. There are many factors that go into it. But with all of that it still comes down to shot placement.

Here is a good read about the subject,

http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; January 3rd, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

shot placement, couldn't agree more. but when a dreaded self defense situation, marksmanship comes and goes; sure, you can open the ground and apply your shooting skills, that's ideal. self defense situations are not ideal and that's why they are so undesireable. now i'll be the first to admit, i'll shoot 'till f.cking slidelock if need be. keep in mind, if it is a true life and death sitation, chances are high that you'll be moving, he/she will be moving, front sight focus is blurred, there are many many things happening all at once; so sure, shot placement is key, you may even score 80 percent or more hits on the body, but it's a slim chance all are in the mortal wound zone. if i only get 5 out of 16 in the zone, i am confident that the cool looking bullet will more than penetrate deeply, it will interupt cns enough for me to get away and use my phone.

do you really think fed.hst is my personal preference just beacause it looks cool, come on. did you read the test results...you do realize that the hst shot through 4 layers of denim and into 10 percent ballistic gellatin penetrating a respectable 12.5 in. with ample expansion. yeah the bullet does look cool, even in black and white.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Been carrying the 230+P tactical HST load in my 1911s since they came out. Also use the 200+P EFMJ which is equally nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by dfoster9 View Post
    shot placement, couldn't agree more. but when a dreaded self defense situation, marksmanship comes and goes; sure, you can open the ground and apply your shooting skills, that's ideal. self defense situations are not ideal and that's why they are so undesireable. now i'll be the first to admit, i'll shoot 'till f.cking slidelock if need be. keep in mind, if it is a true life and death sitation, chances are high that you'll be moving, he/she will be moving, front sight focus is blurred, there are many many things happening all at once; so sure, shot placement is key, you may even score 80 percent or more hits on the body, but it's a slim chance all are in the mortal wound zone. if i only get 5 out of 16 in the zone, i am confident that the cool looking bullet will more than penetrate deeply, it will interupt cns enough for me to get away and use my phone.

do you really think fed.hst is my personal preference just beacause it looks cool, come on. did you read the test results...you do realize that the hst shot through 4 layers of denim and into 10 percent ballistic gellatin penetrating a respectable 12.5 in. with ample expansion. yeah the bullet does look cool, even in black and white.

No different than caliber war's!

Training is everything, a big bad gun with big bad bullet's is secondary. Many hundred's, even thousands of people have been successful in defending themselves without the new HST round's. Was that an accident? I think the round is great but other's do just as well, with proper training any round can be effective and it has been that way for many year's, this round didn't change the world.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; January 3rd, 2007 at 04:49 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    This discussion always mixes in many factors. All things being equal I think the following applies:
    1. If every hit is in the same place, I would rather have the best performing round.
    2. I would rather hit someone with a 22 short than miss them with a 500 S&W
    3. I would rather hit someone with an inferior round in the middle of the chest, than hit them in the arm with the superior round.

4. Last of all, hit them with the biggest, baddest, superior round, in the middle of the chest.

Unfortunately, with so many variables (resources available to buy the best weapon, sufficient time and money to practice adequately, availability of the best round, capability of the shooter) all we can do is optimize with what we have.

A round won't change the world, but if it gives me even the slightest advantage over the BG in what is a life or death struggle, then I want it.

blhar15: I think the tests done by those other depts (see the links I posted previously) support your Department's switch.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Great thread, but let's knock it off with the "F.CKING" thing - this is a family forum and crap like that isn't gonna fly here. You're new, so I'm cutting you some slack...

Yes, Sir.

Sponsored Links