True 9mm or 9mm Luger

This is a discussion on True 9mm or 9mm Luger within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there such a thing? I never owned a 9mm except for my Makarov which 9x18 When you guys talk about 9mm ammo are you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: True 9mm or 9mm Luger

True 9mm or 9mm Luger

Is there such a thing? I never owned a 9mm except for my Makarov which 9x18
    When you guys talk about 9mm ammo are you really saying 9x19 para?
    Trust me all I ever shot was my Mak my 32cal Mauser 45cal Glock and Kahr CW40
    Forgive my limited knowledge, Im a lover not a fighter

2. Remove Ads

I'm guessing that 99.9% of people in this forum are referring to 9×19mm Parabellum when they say 9mm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    9x19mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO is what most people mean when they say 9mm

9mm Browning, 9mm short, or .380 Auto is usually called .380

9x18mm or 9mm Makarov is usually called 9mm Makarov.
    Last edited by JD; April 19th, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    In a word; Yes.

it is a bit confusing.

When one says .30 cal., it could mead a myriad of calibers but when one says 9mm, the universal caliber that comes to mind immediately is 9x19(9mm).
    Doesn't matter what country you are in, it will be the same.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I think most if not all would be referring to the 9MM Luger rather than the 9x18 Mak.

In the USA most people say 9mm ( meaning 9mm nato 9x19 ) but yeah there is a lot of 9mm out there 9mm largo ( which trust me dont fire in 9mm ) 9mm kurz ( 380) .. 9/10 9 mm means 9x 19 unless otherwise mentiosn ... Cause outside of 380 and maybe 9x18 most of the other 9mm rounds are not in wide use in the usa anymore

Fun note the 9x18 was made to be shorter then 9x19 so it could never be used in nato handguns in case of WW3...

Also fun note the name for 9mm comes from the Latin phrase "if you want peace prepare for war " pretty kick but if you ask me ..

The 9×19mm Parabellum (abbreviated 9mm, 9mmP, 9×19mm or 9×19) cartridge was designed by Georg Luger and introduced in 1902 by the German weapons manufacturer Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) for their Luger semi-automatic pistol.[5] For this reason, it is designated as the 9mm Luger / 9mm Luger +P by the SAAMI[6] and the 9 mm Luger by the C.I.P. (differentiating it from the 9mm Makarov and 9mm Browning cartridges). Under STANAG 4090, it is a standard cartridge for NATO forces as well as many non-NATO countries.[7]

The name Parabellum is derived from the Latin: Si vis pacem, para bellum ("If you seek peace, prepare for war"), which was the motto of DWM.[8][9]

Do note that there are some very very hot load 9mm out there that should be weary of too that are 9x19 but rifle only or limited used only ... Uzi ,rem the swedes the austrian all made 9x19 that is super hot SMG rounds and will go though body armor ..why you never see the stuff ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    9x19mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO is what most people mean when they say 9mm

9mm Browning, 9mm short, or .380 Auto is usually called .380

9x17mm or 9mm Makarov is usually called 9mm Makarov.
    Small point: 9x17 is .380, 9x18 is Makarov.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiejuan View Post
    Is there such a thing? I never owned a 9mm except for my Makarov which 9x18
    When you guys talk about 9mm ammo are you really saying 9x19 para?
    Trust me all I ever shot was my Mak my 32cal Mauser 45cal Glock and Kahr CW40
    Forgive my limited knowledge, Im a lover not a fighter
    While there are numerous 9mm rounds (.38 cal, 9x18mm, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, etc) yes, when we discuss "9mm" we mean 9x19mm parabellum (luger)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    ObieJuan I'm assuming you're speaking of handgun ammunition as there is a 9mm X 57 rifle! This should not corn-fuse one who liken himself to that noted Jedi warrior and sage to young Luke!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Yes sir, Sir Onacoma, the info is for my Beretta Nano it shouold arrive tomorrow...Yeppe.
    Sincerely
    Sir Obiejuankinobie

Quote Originally Posted by Obiejuan View Post
    Yes sir, Sir Onacoma, the info is for my Beretta Nano it shouold arrive tomorrow...Yeppe.
    And the Nano in 9mm is definitely 9x19 (aka Luger, Parabellum) and not one of the others discussed in this thread.

Great choice -- I really like my li'l buddy.

Makarov which 9x18 is an odd ball . Many have never even heard of it , most only know of the 9mm as the 9x19 Luger
    The 380 is a downsized 9mm it is not an odd ball but a very popular round, just not talked about much at the big boy table

Now what is the round the first german luger came out in the civilian model. My father in law brought one back in WWII and it is not a 9x19. I was told it can fire the 9x19 if the barrel is changed, the round it takes now has a tapered case

Quote Originally Posted by bill35738 View Post
    Now what is the round the first german luger came out in the civilian model. My father in law brought one back in WWII and it is not a 9x19. I was told it can fire the 9x19 if the barrel is changed, the round it takes now has a tapered case
    I'm gonna guess 7.65x21 Parabellum.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'm gonna guess 7.65x21 Parabellum.
    I'd guess that that's the best guess. Better known in the U.S. as .30 Luger.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links