9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP vs 10mm, which have you chosen & why?

9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP vs 10mm, which have you chosen & why?

This is a discussion on 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP vs 10mm, which have you chosen & why? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Iím not looking to start a caliber war here, all im looking to do is discern which one of the titled calibers has the ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree516Likes

Thread: 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP vs 10mm, which have you chosen & why?

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar

Question 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP vs 10mm, which have you chosen & why?

1. Iím not looking to start a caliber war here, all im looking to do is discern which one of the titled calibers has the best overall ballistics to cost ratio. Something I will be shooting weekly at the range & conceal carrying on an almost daily basis. I'll let it be known that I conceal carry a Gen4 Glock 26 atm, Iím looking for another conceal carry weapon. Beit a S&W M&P or another Glock Gen4.

2. With todayís ammo, is there really that much of a difference ballistically between the titled calibers?

3. Another thing I would like to know, why did you choose the caliber you chose for conceal carry?

Thanks in advance.

I would trust any of the ones you mentioned. 38+p, 9+p, 357mag, 357 sig, 40, 10mm, 45... All of these, to me, are acceptable for my preferences and level of trust.

As I said recently, drive a yugo through a wall, you make a hole. Drive a Ford F-350 through a wall, you make a BIG hole. It is hard to argue the fact that a bigger projectile will make a bigger hole. The permanent wound cavity is what the ammo manufacturers are trying to improve. I would wager there are some 357s that will make a majorly impressive permanent cavity and some 45s that will not get the same expansion. I TRUST Winchester Ranger or PDX1 and Federal HST above all others since I have seen the results their ammo have produced on gel through denim. I do trust DoubleTap ammo but tend not to carry 357 sig or 357 mag often which is what I typically have ordered from them.

That said, the Springfield XDS .45 I am carrying today got my vote because it makes a really big hole with the Winchester PDX1 I have in it and I shoot it well.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Moderator
    I like .357 magnum

And no I don't think that there is too great of a difference between calibers
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I picked a .45 because I've stared down the business end of one and know how intimidating it is. I also carry a 9mm, so...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

To my way of thinking, you only have 3 choices; the last 3 you mentioned.
    Now ballistically, the 10 mm is superior to any other auto loader commonly carried. And the cost difference is not a big deal. The only issue is finding REAL 10mm ammo, and the only one made that I know of is the Winchester ST. After that there is Double Tap. But online sales take the concern out of this issue.
    Now, the 45acp is always a top choice. Can't go wrong there.
    The 40 is a great choice also, with the most efficient loads being those in the 155-165 weight range, although Double Tap has a great load using a Nosler bullet out of a 4 inch tube at 1100 fps, which is about 200 fps faster than the FBI studies in the 80's concluded was the best performer for their criteria.
    The 9mm is good if you are recoil sensitive or have a fixation of shooting a lot of bullets fast. Other than that, it's kind of weak and bland.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I primarily carry what I can shoot quickly and accurately, which is predominately +P or +P+ 9mm. I'm a firm believer it's better to carry the platform and caliber that you can confidently, consistenly shoot quickly and as accurately.

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    I’m leaning towards a .45acp, I like the way the Gen4 Glock 30 feels in my hand. I’m going to see IF I can find a gun shop locally who has a S&W M&P 45 compact, to see how it feels in hand. Anyone have a Gen4 Glock 29?
    AmmoFan01 and gatorbait51 like this.

.45 ACP, cause America!

...seriously, I carry a G21 w/ 13+1 of .45 plus two spare mags. If I can't fix it with that, I need more firepower than is available in a handgun...
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
    Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I carry .40 in a Sig P226 because that is the setup most comfortable to me. My wife doesn't like the recoil and opted for a 9mm Sig P290. Both weapons make nice holes.
    ďWhen they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

I own all the rounds and more so :

1. 40 is the more common carry shoot etc gun for me .. Why is around here and online 100 + bulk packs are still very cheep like 30 or bucks or less.. Plus the often primo ammo for them ie Ranger etc is easy to find ... And the guns/mags esp used are often cheper as they were/are populare cop guns .. You can get a 40 glock for under 400 easy and LEO mags I have gotten for under 10 bucks a pop .. .. I am probley going to switch over a lot of my carry guns to 40 for this reason .. Save some of my 9mm rifles due to them never being made in 40 cal ..
    2. 9MM was one or my first rounds and I like it .. It is still cheep now and guns and mags are still cheep .. I just can handle 40 about the same as 9 so I will take a bit more omp

as for 10v45

1. 10MM esp glocks ...I like them alot you can fire 38 super and 45 and other rounds with them ... But the ammo is pricy and often save a few loads downloaded to gov lite which is really 40cal.. Dont forget 40cal is a cut down 10mm in many ways ... I like the gun it is powerfull and with the right rounds has killed bears ..
    2. That said 45 is easy to get ammo for .. And if you want a silenced handgun that still has knock down power 45 is your gun... I have fired 9mm and 45 silnced and due to the nature of the round 45 is pretty quite .. Also it is a classci round will be around for a long time and most any gunshop worth there salt should normal have a few boxs in stock.. .It and 40 cal have been the easiest rounds to find ..

If I could only one of the all the calibers I would take 40 cal .. If 2 40 and 45 ...

And bullet wise it it as I said about loading you get a true loaded 10mm round oh yeah .. Hammer of the god right there ..

I still think 40cal is a bit more omp then 9mm why I carry it
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I've always been a .45 guy but my wife shoots 9mm and I've decided to keep to one caliber so I carry 9mm now. The differences aren't nearly as great as they used to be with modern ammo.
    Taurahe and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
    1. I’m not looking to start a caliber war here, all im looking to do is discern which one of the titled calibers has the best overall ballistics to cost ratio. Something I will be shooting weekly at the range & conceal carrying on an almost daily basis. I'll let it be known that I conceal carry a Gen4 Glock 26 atm, I’m looking for another conceal carry weapon. Beit a S&W M&P or another Glock Gen4.

2. With today’s ammo, is there really that much of a difference ballistically between the titled calibers?

3. Another thing I would like to know, why did you choose the caliber you chose for conceal carry?

Thanks in advance.
    If it's a serious Defending my Life gun/caliber, I would ask you this: What can you shoot effectivly? What are you most accurate with? ALL the calibers mentioned are GREAT, but which one can you shoot with the greatest ammount of accuracy? I'm not being rude, but just attempting to help you rationally define what you shoot best.
    Eric357, gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

For 20 years I've been a .357 mag guy. But when the .40 first came out many moons ago it intrigued me. Last year decided it was time to move into the semi-auto world. So after all those years being intrigued by the .40 I caved in and got the .40. Actullay I killed 2 birds with one stone as I always wanted a Sig 229. so I got the Sig 229 in .40. I like the .40 because imho its a great median. Has some umph but still in a decent size package. I know a lot of folks look down at the .40 as being a un-needed round but that's their problem. I had also looked at the .357 Sig since it was suppose to mimic the .357 mag. But to me the loading of it were just too limited. And as far as the 229 goes, I think the gun and .40 are a perfect pair since the 229 was designed around the .40 instead of just a gun being re-chambered to accept it. But this is just my ramblings.

That being said my wife shots 9mm. But she is a lot smaller than me and she just started shooting last year.
    Last edited by Eric357; April 22nd, 2014 at 02:28 PM.
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
    1. I’m not looking to start a caliber war here, all im looking to do is discern which one of the titled calibers has the best overall ballistics to cost ratio. Something I will be shooting weekly at the range & conceal carrying on an almost daily basis. I'll let it be known that I conceal carry a Gen4 Glock 26 atm, I’m looking for another conceal carry weapon. Beit a S&W M&P or another Glock Gen4.

2. With today’s ammo, is there really that much of a difference ballistically between the titled calibers?

Thanks in advance.

1.-2. Any of the calibers listed are more than adequate for the job of self-defense if a high quality JHP is employed. Anyone arguing the superiority of any one caliber above the others is fooling only themselves. Shop around (the online ammo search services are fine for this), get the best price you can on the load you wanna carry and do it.

3. I am equally comfortable with 9mm and .45ACP. I can make a fair account of myself with either caliber and have no doubt that either -using a premium JHP- is up to the task of defending me and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    If it's a serious Defending my Life gun/caliber, I would ask you this: What can you shoot effectivly? What are you most accurate with? ALL the calibers mentioned are GREAT, but which one can you shoot with the greatest ammount of accuracy? I'm not being rude, but just attempting to help you rationally define what you shoot best.
    Let me ask you something; why not pick the caliber you believe to be the most effective, and learn to shoot it effectively ? Why can't someone shoot a 10mm or. 45 just as well as a lesser cartridge ?
    This has been going around so long that people starting to believe they have to settle for less because they can't shoot a more powerful cartridge. That's horse hockey, and just pure laziness.

Unless you have an infirmaty or are just stricken with age related issues , there is no reason anyone cannot shoot anything they desire with great effectiveness.
    If that were true, then the 22 rimfire would reign supreme.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links