7.62x39 Russian ammo cans

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 Russian ammo cans within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was working on the road and stopped to gas up and saw this LGStore across the street so never having been there I figured I'd ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 2 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: 7.62x39 Russian ammo cans

7.62x39 Russian ammo cans

Was working on the road and stopped to gas up and saw this LGStore across the street so never having been there I figured I'd go have a look see. It had several 7.62x36mm 640 round 122gr FMJ green ammo cans marked "made in Russia small arms ammunition L.C.B. non corrosive" for $160. ech with a 3-can limit. Of course he said it's good stuff adding too that if you don't open or puncher the can it will store for ever.

Anyone ever see or use any of this stuff? Is it any good? They even come with their own funky can opener. If it's good stuff too buy then the short trip would be worth the drive to me as my sons & brother & nephews would all enjoy visiting it as well. It has some interesting things in stock. I bought a couple things .... as my wife said; too add to my dust-bunny drawer

2. Remove Ads

As I remember LCB is new producation Tula ammo ..If tula good stuff .. That can stuff yeah it will last a while I mean most of the 5.45 out there is from the 1970 etc ... I mean heck peopel are still firing 303 ammon from the WW2 so ...

This is not surplus ammo ( he could not sell it more then likly if it was due to the steel core ban ) .. I have not fired that brand but if it is like Tula it is fine ...

The pice is ok for that too I think ..

I mean it wont last forever the powder will go bad eventual but even then it might work some peopel are using ammo from 1917 still so .. But at least 20 years I guess easy if unopen ..
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    As I remember LCB is new producation Tula ammo ..If tula good stuff .. That can stuff yeah it will last a while I mean most of the 5.45 out there is from the 1970 etc ... I mean heck peopel are still firing 303 ammon from the WW2 so ...This is not surplus ammo ( he could not sell it more then likly if it was due to the steel core ban ) .. I have not fired that brand but if it is like Tula it is fine ... The pice is ok for that too I think ..I mean it wont last forever the powder will go bad eventual but even then it might work some peopel are using ammo from 1917 still so .. But at least 20 years I guess easy if unopen ..
    How can I tell if it's Tula without opening it? I've heard Tula is not so good to use that it's dirty stuff that they use steel casings and to stay away from it??

What gun(s) are you shooting it in? SKS /AK are Made for the steel cased stuff so that may not be an issue at all FWIW
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    How can I tell if it's Tula without opening it? I've heard Tula is not so good to use that it's dirty stuff that they use steel casings and to stay away from it??

The only issue with steel case is it does not expaned as much as brass case ammo and that some of the rounds that were really diped in Laquer coating can gum up some AR .. But if you have a AK or SKS shoot the crap out of it .. It is good ammo .. Nothing wrong with it some ARs and mini 30 are picky about x39 ammo but AKS tend to fire it just fine they were made for it after all..

And yeah it is dirty but it should not be corrsive unless your shooting yugo ammo so I would not worry .. The only thing is some ranges wont let you used it as they want the brass to reslae so steel case has to be sorted out ..

I would not worry about it .. I shoot wolf/tula/golden tiger /Red army etc in my commie guns and a lot of my handguns .. It is cheep and most guns will fire it ( some handguns are picky I have found though) ..I like it as I can use a magnet to pick it up outdoors so I dont have to hunt for my brass... It is not be any means match grade ammo or anything but good for plinking etc ...

I would not worry about it ... If you have a AR or mini 30 it might be worth it to buy a few boxs first to make sure your gun likes it .. But if for AK/SKS dont worry about it buy it and stack it deep ...
    Aceoky and 5lima30ret like this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

really appiles to AR rifles firing it .. They are if you ask me a dirter gun so it is easier to gum them up more .. AK or piston guns tend to run a little bit cleaner

Ah had found it is made at Kilmosvk plant

Klimovsk Specialized Ammunition Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .. so not tula
    This is 123 grain FMJ Russian manufactured by Klimovsk in Russia. This is lacquer coated cases and this is a true Soviet military round.
    United Nations Ammo Company (UNAC)
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Be VERY careful with the sharp edge when opening those metal cases with the included can opener! (Don't ask how I know!)
    WrongRecroom and Aceoky like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'm saving up to get an AK47 so being new to AK's and learning I've never seen these cans because I've never really paid any attention to their ammo requirements but I found this video and this is exactly what the cans < spam cans ya call um EH > that I saw look like.

is $160. for 640-rounds $.25 a round a good price for this stuff? Is it good to get just to have like say getting a case of Federal XM193 @ $.375 a round? Or would you pass on this? Like I said I'm a newbie to AK-Country

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I'm saving up to get an AK47 so being new to AK's and learning I've never seen these cans because I've never really paid any attention to their ammo requirements but I found this video and this is exactly what the cans < spam cans ya call um EH > that I saw look like.

is $160. for 640-rounds $.25 a round a good price for this stuff? Is it good to get just to have like say getting a case of Federal XM193 @ $.375 a round? Or would you pass on this? Like I said I'm a newbie to AK-Country

I have found that canning it does add a little bit of course and that price seems ok.. I mean I have gotten 500 + rounds for like 130 or less but loses... This is good to have for long term dont touch till the end of days stuff ..

To me most AK ammo is about the same .. Some have claimed Golden Tiger ammo is a bit better then others but I can not prove that ... Also some ammo is laquer sealed at the base and neck for long term uses .. Tula is not why it is canned I would guess for long term .. I have a lot of brands of x39 ammo it all about shoots the same .. But then again some guns do like some ammo more then others .. I alwasy say with any gun if you can buy a few brands see what you like ...

What AK you looking at ? Ammo is easy finding a good AK is the fun part .. And learing all about 922r and the 1989 and 1994 import bans

Look around online at the pricing like ammobot etc .. But wihtouth shipping 160 is pretty good .. I mostly just buy the 500 rounds lose packs and save the cans till SHTF ...
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I have found that canning it does add a little bit of course and that price seems ok.. I mean I have gotten 500 + rounds for like 130 or less but loses... This is good to have for long term dont touch till the end of days stuff .. To me most AK ammo is about the same .. Some have claimed Golden Tiger ammo is a bit better then others but I can not prove that ... Also some ammo is laquer sealed at the base and neck for long term uses .. Tula is not why it is canned I would guess for long term .. I have a lot of brands of x39 ammo it all about shoots the same .. But then again some guns do like some ammo more then others .. I alwasy say with any gun if you can buy a few brands see what you like ... What AK you looking at ? Ammo is easy finding a good AK is the fun part .. And learing all about 922r and the 1989 and 1994 import bans Look around online at the pricing like ammobot etc .. But wihtouth shipping 160 is pretty good .. I mostly just buy the 500 rounds lose packs and save the cans till SHTF ...
    Which AK47 to get is becoming more confusing then simply choosing between which model DD AR to get.

Seems Bulgarians and Yugoslavians are good. Which brands would you suggest looking at? Seems a good AK47 would be some where's between $400. to $600.

And now that Magpuls making mags for um thats' a no brainer.

Links