Reloading question - VMD?

This is a discussion on Reloading question - VMD? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've scoured the web and still can't find what I'm looking for, the Volume Measured Density for the new CFE Pistol powder. Any of you ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By luvmy40
  • 1 Post By coffeecup

Thread: Reloading question - VMD?

Reloading question - VMD?

I've scoured the web and still can't find what I'm looking for, the Volume Measured Density for the new CFE Pistol powder. Any of you fellow reloaders gotten your hands on this info? I need this number to make a calculation that will allow me to use my Lee Perfect Powder Measure and not have to weigh every single load. I'm planning on loading 500 cartridges this week and that would really come in handy.

You would think that Hodgdon would have the decency to put a little data section on the container with all the pertinent info that reloaders need to use their product, but I guess that would be too much like right, huh? What a bunch of ninnies....

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this, or maybe offer up another, faster, yet accurate, way to accomplish this task. I'm new to reloading and will take any advice I can get. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

This isn't something found in your reloading manual?
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.w.daugherty View Post
    This isn't something found in your reloading manual?
    Nope.

CFE Pistol powder just came out this year, so there aren't any reloading manuals out yet with that info, that I know of. I bought a copy of Hodgdon's 2014 Annual Reloading Magazine when I bought the powder, but the data in the magazine is still extremely limited compared to the data for older powders. I've emailed Hodgdon's asking them for the info, on Saturday, but have yet to get a response. That's why I'm asking here, see if someone here maybe has been working on this for a while and finally got an answer.

Sponsor
    I haven't used that powder yet so I don't have any data for you but, just throw a few different charges with the perfect powder measure, weigh each known volume and build your own data base. You should always verify the powder charge with a scale regardless of where you get the volumetric data from anyway.
    the6shooter likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I haven't used that powder yet so I don't have any data for you but, just throw a few different charges with the perfect powder measure, weigh each known volume and build your own data base. You should always verify the powder charge with a scale regardless of where you get the volumetric data from anyway.
    Thank you, luvmy40.

That's what I was considering doing if I couldn't find the VMD by the end of the day today. I was hoping to finally hear back from Hodgdon's customer service reps via email, but looks like that ain't a hap'nin.

I can't believe that this data isn't out there. I know the powder is fairly new to the market, but I'm sure they spent years developing it prior to it's release - I would think. It blows my mind that they don't just put something like that on the container, or at least in that magazine of their's that I paid $7.95 for. Ah well, I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by herpjunkie View Post
    Thank you, luvmy40.

That's what I was considering doing if I couldn't find the VMD by the end of the day today. I was hoping to finally hear back from Hodgdon's customer service reps via email, but looks like that ain't a hap'nin.

I can't believe that this data isn't out there. I know the powder is fairly new to the market, but I'm sure they spent years developing it prior to it's release - I would think. It blows my mind that they don't just put something like that on the container, or at least in that magazine of their's that I paid $7.95 for. Ah well, I digress.
    I like to have the VMD of whatever propellant I am using, too. Barring that Hodgdon doesn't come through, the process I use is to find a VMD is I fill a large handgun caliber case -namely the .45ACP (1.6 cc)- of known capacity and take the average of at least ten full charges to get the VMD. It produces surprisingly good agreement with the published data I have on record and would recommend the procedure over the published data anyway.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by herpjunkie View Post
    I've scoured the web and still can't find what I'm looking for, the Volume Measured Density for the new CFE Pistol powder. Any of you fellow reloaders gotten your hands on this info? I need this number to make a calculation that will allow me to use my Lee Perfect Powder Measure and not have to weigh every single load. I'm planning on loading 500 cartridges this week and that would really come in handy.

You would think that Hodgdon would have the decency to put a little data section on the container with all the pertinent info that reloaders need to use their product, but I guess that would be too much like right, huh? What a bunch of ninnies....

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this, or maybe offer up another, faster, yet accurate, way to accomplish this task. I'm new to reloading and will take any advice I can get. Thanks!
    Did you find the CFE Pistol VMD? I just picked some up at Simmons and am wondering as well. Thanks!

Actually I calculated it. But it's such a small number, and it's really hard to read the numbers on the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I don't remember what it was right off hand, but the micrometer setting on the powder measure is less than 1. Heck, it's less than 0.5. I think it was like 0.47, or maybe 0.437, or maybe even 0.3 something.

Anyway, if you have the LPPM, just wind the micrometer to less than 0.5 and then tinker around a bit, it won't take long to get your desired charge.

I was about to suggest you determine the VMD and tell us.
    .5 cc and 1cc weights would be a good start.

C'mon guys. We all have a few of those Lee dippers around. From there on is isn't really rocket science.
    hdhnict likes this.

Links