First time Hollow Point 9mm Buyer

This is a discussion on First time Hollow Point 9mm Buyer within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Will have my CHL soon. Have stocked up on FMJ 9mm ammo to practice with and having lots of fun too. I know nothing about ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: First time Hollow Point 9mm Buyer

First time Hollow Point 9mm Buyer

Will have my CHL soon. Have stocked up on FMJ 9mm ammo to practice with and having lots of fun too. I know nothing about defensive rounds or hollow points. If you have a 9mm defensive round preference... reply here. I have a LGS, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro all nearby. So if it's something I can get there, all the better.

My only handgun is an XDs 9mm.

Thanks!
    GhostMaker and BamaT like this.

2. Remove Ads

Any of these will do. 124gr or 147gr, Gold Dots, HST, Ranger T, Ranger PDX, Cobon DPX. When you buy them make sure and buy extra to shoot through your gun. At least a mag full per mag you plan to carry, more than that would be better. Make sure they feed reliably before carrying them. Most people say 100 to 200 rounds before they are consider carry worthy.
    5lima30ret, bigpapa and BamaT like this.

here is a good discussion by LEO's on HP ammo.. I have both Speer and Hornady.. both prove to shoot well but due to costs I usually shot FMJ
    Best 9mm Duty Round
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    The key point from going from Ball to HPs in the mag is that you really tap them back. HPs are shorter than Ball. Make sure you really set them well in your mags so that you do not get a malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    The key point from going from Ball to HPs in the mag is that you really tap them back. HPs are shorter than Ball. Make sure you really set them well in your mags so that you do not get a malfunction.
    Umm...what?

Would that not be dependent on bullet weight and/or COAL?

To make a blanket statement of "they're shorter" is rather inaccurate...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    @ Cuda66 - OK - some tend to be shorter. Is that better?

Get some HP's that feed in your gun and that you can hit what you are shooting at.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

There are any number of threads on this subject and I think I've read most of them by this point.

The consensus, I believe, is that whatever commercially available defensive ammo your gun and you shoot reliably will do the job. Shot placement is the critical factor rather than ammo.

Everyone has their favorites though. Personally I shoot Hornady Critical Defense because (a) it functions reliably in both my wife's EDC and my own, and (b) for whatever reason it's readily available in my area.
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by b2187101 View Post
    Will have my CHL soon. Have stocked up on FMJ 9mm ammo to practice with and having lots of fun too. I know nothing about defensive rounds or hollow points.
    Were you surprised when none of the rounds (often called >>bullets<< by the constantly misinformed news media the average moron and many noobies jumped out of the boxes and cooked off ricocheting off the floor and walls while you ran for cover?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Whatever shoots in your gun .... Really any modern HP rounds will be good if it fires .. If you can try to put at least a box or more of the ammo though your gun to make sure it feeds and fires ok... I usally have Crttical defesive or Hornady rouns .. Ranger is pretty good ditto PDX1 etc ... Just try to avoid the gimixy rounds ( glaser/ RIP etc) at least until your more into the ammo game imop
    donp326 and BamaT like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    124gr-147gr Gold Dots
    ETXhiker likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

For a shorter-barreled pistol like your XDs, my testing (from a 3" barrel) shows the 124, 124+P, and 147gr Federal HSTs, 124+P "short barrel" Gold Dots, 115-grain Critical Defense, and 115-gr +P Cor-Bon DPX are all superb performers.

HSTs in my Shield 9mm
    NickBurkhardt and munch520 like this.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my 9mm. It seemed like a nice round, so thats the way I went. I have Speer Gold Dots in my .45acp. Id probably go to Gold Dots in my 9mm down the road, when I feel like its time to rotate my carry ammo with new rounds, just to keep it all the same. Also, the Gold Dots are around $.60-.75/round, so you can buy two 50rd boxes for a reasonable price and shoot a box, then carry whats left.

As said, any modern JHP thats in the ballpark for caliber weight should do the trick. Stay away from frangible and the really light 50gr rounds.

CorBon 115 gr +p has everything I look for.

Feeds with no problems in my guns, high velocity, good penetration, good expansion, available and not outrageously expensive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links