What to Believe About Stopping Power

This is a discussion on What to Believe About Stopping Power within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Really good article with basic info about terminal ballistics. What to Believe About Stopping Power - Home Defense Gun...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: What to Believe About Stopping Power

wrinkles

Really good article with basic info about terminal ballistics.

What to Believe About Stopping Power - Home Defense Gun

Distinguished Member
    Well written article with some good points.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post
    Well written article with some good points.
    Concur, very eloquent and concisely written.

wrinkles, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

What to Believe About Stopping Power - Home Defense Gun

Facklerite/Dentist Roberts groupie..... Only thing that matters is expansion and penetration... Because we cannot accurately measure other effects they don't exist. According to this theory arrows with broadheads are just as good as defensive pistol rounds.

Velocity does matter and attempts to dismiss it does not make it disappear. Velocity of 1300fps and beyond do work better when proper bullet construction is selected. If velocity under 2000fps doesn't matter we should all just use 38 S&W. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_S%26W
    maxwell97, Wolf357 and Bad Bob like this.
    “Our lives come from God. So does our right to defend them”
    There is only one gun law in this country, the 2nd Amendment. All else is bureaucratic nonsense that I choose to comply with or not at my discretion.

wrinkles
    Other than insults and a link to the 38S&W wiki, don't know what for, what actual data do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    Other than insults and a link to the 38S&W wiki, don't know what for, what actual data do you have?
    The best data. What actually works on the streets. A track record. Also called history. The link you provided is like everything else here, an opinion. Everyone has one. Not trying to insult anyone. Just don't care for closed minded people that worship at the Facklerite altar. Of course the three things that determine stopping power is , shot placement, shot placement and shot placement.
    redmc, Wolf357 and Bad Bob like this.
    There is only one gun law in this country, the 2nd Amendment. All else is bureaucratic nonsense that I choose to comply with or not at my discretion.

wrinkles
    Again forgoing the insults and name calling where is this data? How was it compiled?

Physics says bigger is better and faster is better when you want to destroy something. Then comes compromises and justifications for the compromises. Carry whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Where is the data and how was it compiled that velocity plays no role in defensive ammo?

Also, when deer hunting and your chosen round fails to work on multiple occasions do you continue to use it because learned people in the lab says its the best? (knowing that deer are not people, talking about decision making here) Or do you select something else that does work. That is, every round has a track record or history. If you don't like the person that touts it or their beliefs, do you not use it even though it works very well most every time?
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwonderful View Post
    The best data. What actually works on the streets. A track record. Also called history.

Of course the three things that determine stopping power is , shot placement, shot placement and shot placement.
    And that's the thing about history, even. Every single incident varies with respect to the path the shot traveled, what it struck, how it deflected, what media (clothing, windshield, wall) it had to go through, and so on. Even ~2-3mm difference in the path can make the difference between just ticking off the guy and him bleeding out rapidly.

Agreed, though, that 'street' performance history over a long time can combine strongly with calibrated tests to form about the best view we have as to comparison between this or that round. In the end, though, it'll depend heavily whether one's next shot varies better or worse than those "averages" in such history and/or tests. We'll never know until we know.
    mrwonderful likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The only thing we can all agree on is, hits matter.
    Carry the biggest round you can hit with. Practice.
    mrwonderful, Ksgunner and Bad Bob like this.

wrinkles
    The best data. What actually works on the streets. A track record. Also called history. The link you provided is like everything else here, an opinion. Everyone has one. Not trying to insult anyone. Just don't care for closed minded people that worship at the Facklerite altar. Of course the three things that determine stopping power is , shot placement, shot placement and shot placement.
    Where's this data? The Street data, track record?

Where is the data and how was it compiled that velocity plays no role in defensive ammo?

Also, when deer hunting and your chosen round fails to work on multiple occasions do you continue to use it because learned people in the lab says its the best? (knowing that deer are not people, talking about decision making here) Or do you select something else that does work. That is, every round has a track record or history. If you don't like the person that touts it or their beliefs, do you not use it even though it works very well most every time?
    Deer hunting has nothing to do with service pistol ammo selection.

Again where is this track record, history you keep referring to? What does this track record prove? Velocity does create significant damage in service pistol rounds? You're gone into this hissy fit and you have yet to explain what exactly you are supporting let alone show verifiable data to back it up.

Calm down take a breath.

Explain you stance. Preferably without name calling or insults please.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Aaaand they're off!

Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm perfectly calm. Not at all butt-hurt that not everyone agrees with my beliefs.

Reading is fundamental. "(knowing that deer are not people, talking about decision making here)"

Others here seem to have no problem comprehending my points.

Simply put the main point of my position is that penetration and expansion alone are not the only two factors in deciding what is a good defensive round. Your free to make your own opinions in this regard.
    You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to walk in lock step with those who think Fackler's position is the only position and anything else is heresy.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Aaaand they're off!

Beat me to it, Vet.
    LimaCharlie and Ksgunner like this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links