10 mm ammo

This is a discussion on 10 mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wondering about 10mm ammo, i don't see 10mm ammo on any shelfs . # 1 The members here that own 10 mm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 10 mm ammo

VIP Member

10 mm ammo

I have been wondering about 10mm ammo, i don't see 10mm ammo on any shelfs .

# 1 The members here that own 10 mm do you all reload yourselves ?

#2 Is Glock the only 10MM handgun maker ?

# 3 How different does it handle from a 9mm or any other cal. ?

# 4 If you plan on never reloading is it a gun worth getting ?
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

2. Remove Ads

I owned a 20sf so

1. I dont reloaded and dont have a issues finding ammo ..Sure I dont have deep stocks of it but enough to run it .. Loads are from 35 and under for 50 .. Really hot loads are a bit more ( many loads are more 40 cal then 10mm) stuff like underwood etc .
    2. A lot of 1911 makers make them. EAA makes a couple 10mm.. There are a few 10mm wheels guns .. I think right now glocks are the big markter for them .. There are also 3 gen s&w in 10mm ( kentucy HP carried them for a long time ) .. Also whatever guns were made for the feds way back when .. I have seen a few mp5 and the like in 10mm and even a thomspan ..
    3. It does have a bit more kick but not that bad .. Sort of too me a 40/45 kick mix .. Really hard to described but it not some massive force to deal with .
    4. For me I would not sell the gun .. You can kill a bear with this thing and the selling point is you can 45 and other rounds if you change the barrel or slide for them .. 38 supper and 45 acp and I think 460 rowaland and others .. I mean having 15 rounds of underwood hard cast is a heck of a commoft if you ask me ... You may not shoot it as much as say a 9mm or the like but you wont ever have a issue find ammo for it ... I like it and will more then likely pick up a 29 to go with one day
    welder516 and NewportReds like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I do not reload any ammo. I have no problem finding 10mm ammo locally or ordering online.

Several 1911 manufacturers make a 10mm. One worth looking at is the Rock Island Armory for the money. I have a Colt Delta Elite and a Kimber Stainless Target II government size 1911. I carry Winchester Silvertip 175 grain JHP in them. I also have a Glock G20 SF which is carried with Buffalo Bore or Underwood 180 grain JHP. In the past, I have owned a Star Megastar, a Glock G29 SF, an RIA 1911, and an EAA Witness in 10mm. S&W made a semi-auto and a revolver in 10mm.

The recoil feels about like a .45 ACP +P.

If I could only own one handgun, it would be the Glock G20 SF.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

VIP Member
    I have a S&W 1006, a model which hasn't been manufactured in about twenty years. I don't reload, and most currently available commercial ammo I have found operates in the same ballistic ranges as the .40 cal. Buffalo Bore approximates the original round, but it is scarce and expensive. I like it well enough, but won't buy another one.
    WrongRecroom and welder516 like this.

As I undersand it Silver tips are very close to the orginal 10mm loading ..
    welder516 likes this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

If, by "the original loading", we're talking about the SAAMI specifications for 10mm, then... I just took a look through Ballistics101.com's listings for 10mm, and compared the weight & velocity against the SAAMI spec.

It looks like the Buffalo Bore offerings meet or exceed the SAAMI specs (for example, SAAMI says a 200-grain bullet at 1150 fps, Buffalo Bore lists a 200-grainer at 1200 fps, but there's no listing for barrel size on the Ballistics101 chart so I don't know if that's a direct comparison).

Cor-Bon seems to be loading them to full SAAMI spec; their 155-grain is quoted as 1500 fps; in the SAAMI spec a 155-grainer should travel at 1410 fps.

DoubleTap seems to be at or slightly above full SAAMI load.

Federal's FMJ and Hydra Shok are way, way low; they're 180 grains at 1030 fps, SAAMI says a 175-grain bullet should be 1,275 fps. Heck, the SAAMI spec for a .40 S&W 180-grain bullet is 985 fps, so the Federal loads are barely any more powerful than a bone-stock .40 S&W. Same for Hornady and Remington, their loads are showing well below SAAMI spec.

Underwood looks to be at or above full SAAMI spec.

It looks like WrongRecroom is absolutely right, Winchester's "STHP" (presumably SilverTip Hollow Point) is listed at 175 grains and 1290 feet per second; the SAAMI spec for a 175-grain bullet is 1275 fps, so that looks to be right at SAAMI levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingTheBull View Post
    If, by "the original loading", we're talking about the SAAMI specifications for 10mm, then... I just took a look through Ballistics101.com's listings for 10mm, and compared the weight & velocity against the SAAMI spec.

It looks like the Buffalo Bore offerings meet or exceed the SAAMI specs (for example, SAAMI says a 200-grain bullet at 1150 fps, Buffalo Bore lists a 200-grainer at 1200 fps, but there's no listing for barrel size on the Ballistics101 chart so I don't know if that's a direct comparison).

Cor-Bon seems to be loading them to full SAAMI spec; their 155-grain is quoted as 1500 fps; in the SAAMI spec a 155-grainer should travel at 1410 fps.

DoubleTap seems to be at or slightly above full SAAMI load.

Federal's FMJ and Hydra Shok are way, way low; they're 180 grains at 1030 fps, SAAMI says a 175-grain bullet should be 1,275 fps. Heck, the SAAMI spec for a .40 S&W 180-grain bullet is 985 fps, so the Federal loads are barely any more powerful than a bone-stock .40 S&W. Same for Hornady and Remington, their loads are showing well below SAAMI spec.

Underwood looks to be at or above full SAAMI spec.

It looks like WrongRecroom is absolutely right, Winchester's "STHP" (presumably SilverTip Hollow Point) is listed at 175 grains and 1290 feet per second; the SAAMI spec for a 175-grain bullet is 1275 fps, so that looks to be right at SAAMI levels.

Thanks for that !

I was trying to rember what loads were true and not .. Sliver tips are old rounds ( they sucked in 9 as I remember blamed in fact for the 86 shooting issues in Miami) but in 10mm are ok I think the vids on youtube show they at least expaned and do something ..
    welder516 likes this.

I would like to own a G20 10mm but ammo is outrageous. Almost $34 for a box of 50 fmj at my LGS.
    welder516 likes this.

For what it's worth, ammo is available and reasonably priced here local. Most "oddball" cartridges seem to be though.

VIP Member
    It can be a little tough to find 10MM but since I have dies for 40 S&W I have no problem with 10MM ammo and besides Glock worship.gif worship.gif worship.gifthere are several manufactures like Colt that make firearms in 10MM.

Colt Delta Elite
    ColtDE_R.JPG ColtDE_L.JPG
    welder516 and NewportReds like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It can be a little tough to find 10MM but since I have dies for 40 S&W I have no problem with 10MM ammo and besides Glock worship.gif worship.gif worship.gifthere are several manufactures like Colt that make firearms in 10MM.

Colt Delta Elite
    ColtDE_R.JPG ColtDE_L.JPG
    So are your .40 cal dies used to make 10mm ? and are these two calibers about the same size . It sounds like the .45 cal is slightly larger , in the LGS (Maryland) i just have not seen the 10mm guns in stock .

Thank You Everyone , for answering my questions .
    I can see a COLT in the near future
    Stoveman likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Two words.... Underwood Ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    So are your .40 cal dies used to make 10mm ? and are these two calibers about the same size . It sounds like the .45 cal is slightly larger , in the LGS (Maryland) i just have not seen the 10mm guns in stock .

Thank You Everyone , for answering my questions .
    I can see a COLT in the near future
    The .40 S&W is just a shorter 10mm.

.40 S&W (.40 Auto, .40 Short, 10x22 mm) .400 in (10.2 mm) .850 in (21.6 mm)
    10 mm Auto (1025mm, 10mm Norma, 10mm F.B.I.) .400 in (10.2 mm) .990 in (25.1 mm)

If you get a Colt Delta Elite, stay away from the hotter rounds and loads. Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and Underwood warn against using their hottest rounds in the Delta Elite due to lack of support in the chamber. Underwood makes a round specifically for the Delta Elite. That is the reason I carry the Winchester Silvertip 175 grain JHP in my Delta Elite and my Kimber Stainless Target II.
    welder516 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Dan Wesson makes a 10, or at least they did in the past. They were pretty proud of them, the Glock is half the price, but they're fine 1911's.
    welder516 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Glock 29 SF
    Chrono average for 5 shots:
    Corbon 150 JHP: 1,222 fps / 497# KE / PF 183
    When fired into gallon filled jugs of water it fragmented, but still made it into the 4th jug, recovered diameter varied .55/.60/.64
    Hornady 175 gr. Criitical Duty: 1,077 fps / 451# KE / PF 188 / exit 3rd jug @ .64 - .65
    Hornady 155 XTP: 1,278 fps / 562# KE / PF 198 / 4th jug @ .68 diameter

I listed those loads in order of felt recoil.
    The Hornady 155 XTP (PF 198) is at my limit of control based on keeping an accurate (hit a 6 inch circle at 18 feet) 1/3 second 2nd shot in mind.
    For SD against two legged attackers, the Corbon 150 JHP is my choice, very controllable while producing about 500# KE.

I do handload and have loaded some 155 XTP that duplicates factory velocity; however, 10mm ammo is easily found online so reloading is not essential.
    welder516 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links