Another reason to lose weight

This is a discussion on Another reason to lose weight within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taking General Defensive Handgun 2 and the instructor "encouraged" us to lose weight for the following reasons: 1. It is easier to draw your gun ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Another reason to lose weight

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Another reason to lose weight

Taking General Defensive Handgun 2 and the instructor "encouraged" us to lose weight for the following reasons:

1. It is easier to draw your gun with your non-dominant hand (don't want to use the word "weak" because we are what we say)
    2. If you are hit with a hollow point round, there is not enough mass to expand the round. Just look at all the ballistic gelatin. If you are thin, the bullet will go straight through you before it has a chance to expand.

Going on a diet.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hey, whatever gives you incentive!

One more reason: Thinner is (mostly) healthier. If you should be unfortunate enough to ever be shot, healthier is better!!!

EAT LOTS OF GREEN THINGS! (And yellow, and orange, and red and blue..........)
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Congrats on the decision to start dieting.

I'm on the 'ol bourbon and water diet. For every glass of bourbon I reward myself with a glass of water.

I always workout with a smile on my face. I recommend it to all.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Taking General Defensive Handgun 2 and the instructor "encouraged" us to lose weight for the following reasons:

1. It is easier to draw your gun with your non-dominant hand (don't want to use the word "weak" because we are what we say)
    2. If you are hit with a hollow point round, there is not enough mass to expand the round. Just look at all the ballistic gelatin. If you are thin, the bullet will go straight through you before it has a chance to expand.

Going on a diet.
    I have NO idea who told you this, but they are talking out their arse cause their mouth knows better. Gezzus H Christ, I can't believe some of the sheet I read posted here sometimes.
    40Bob, DingBat, Taurahe and 1 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I have NO idea who told you this, but they are talking out their arse cause their mouth knows better. I can't believe some of the sheet I read posted here sometimes.
    Ya, maybe not

922907_orig.jpg
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I've lost 100 lbs in the last 6 months. Didn't know I was doing it for a tactical advantage. Although I'm not sure if those two reasons make much sense; but hey, I'll take 'em.

Administrator
    Eat to live. Do not live to eat.

Do Push Ups....Push yourself up from the table before you feel STUFFED.<~~~

Eat everything in Moderation.

Actually the latest fairly extensive study shows that strict Vegetarians/Vegans have a shorter lifespan than folks who eat meat protein in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Hey, whatever gives you incentive!

One more reason: Thinner is (mostly) healthier. If you should be unfortunate enough to ever be shot, healthier is better!!!

EAT LOTS OF GREEN THINGS! (And yellow, and orange, and red and blue..........)
    OD*, bmcgilvray and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Eat to live. Do not live to eat.
    Do Push Ups....Push yourself up from the table before you feel STUFFED.<~~~
    Eat everything in Moderation.
    Actually the latest fairly extensive study shows that strict Vegetarians/Vegans have a shorter lifespan than folks who eat meat protein in moderation.
    I hope you didn't think I meant that he needs to become a vegetarian. That is a specific lifestyle that is not right for everyone and takes a lot of study and "larnin" to do properly for complete nutrition.

What I was referring to was that by far most people don't eat enough fruits and veggies (the colors), but eat way too much of the "white stuff" - bread, potatoes, sugar, etc. Guess I should have been less "clever" and more specific.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Ballistic gel is good for some things... but AzQkr is dead right about this. Point 2 is invalid at best and an outright lie at worst. Losing weight can make you healthier. It can allow you to fight harder for longer. It can allow you to move the way you need to move. But it does not prevent ammunition from expanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
    QKShooter, BamaT, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I eat all kinds of yellow and green stuff but the pizza with green peppers just ain't making me lose any weight/
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

VIP Member
    When it takes two trips to haul butt it is time to lose weight. And yes I do like VEGTABLES (cannot stand the word veggie, baby talk and nauseating) just hope I have better luck with the garden this year.
    OD*, welder516, locotest and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

From a purely tactical standpoint, if you're thinner you're a smaller target for the bad guy to hit if he's shooting at you making you more difficult for him to hit...and you can get more effective cover from smaller objects.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My wife and i are trying to eat healthier. Gluten free (and Glutton Free). portion control. No sugar or salt. It's helping us both.
    JoeFriday and ShooterGranny like this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    My wife and i are trying to eat healthier. Gluten free (and Glutton Free). portion control. No sugar or salt. It's helping us both.
    Gave up wheat about 1.5 years ago now. Best decision I ever made because I feel many times over better overall and lost the common aches and pains of aging. Long story.... but I wish my wife would also participate.
    Kennydale and ShooterGranny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Gave up wheat about 1.5 years ago now. Best decision I ever made because I feel many times over better overall and lost the common aches and pains of aging. Long story.... but I wish my wife would also participate.
    My wife was having backaches and aches in her legs. After a month and a half of doing this she says she can sleep better because the aches are gone. :)
    NewportReds likes this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links