Defensive Carry banner

A minor kaboom

3K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  CeltKnight 
#1 ·
I am NOT having fun in this class. A case exploded in my gun and caused a minor kaboom. No injuries except sparks flew into my face (ya safety goggles), the magazine dropped and my hand had some minor gun powder residue.

Brass Metal Cylinder Auto part Ammunition
Finger Skin Hand Thumb Joint

See less See more
#8 ·
That looked like a 9mm case (as I'm not a Glock nut.)

In your case setting off good fireworks of the Indian type (illegal in most cities) maybe the safer saner course of action. I've had similar injuries and I'm still here with all my slightly scarred digits. In a few days you'll stub your toe or hit your head and completely forget about your hurt finger.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#13 ·
FMJ or lead?

#17 ·
A Glock failure ? That's heresy...Glocks never fail,at least that's what people say ! I wouldn't know anything about failures,I shoot a Sig.lol

#22 ·
Exactly you may wish to get a KARMA reset! Seems you got some bad Ju-Ju hanging around you! Maybe you should have Auror investigate or find a gypse to reset you Karma!

#23 ·
While at the range the other day, shooting LRN reloads in my Glock 30 (Oh my!), after 60-70 rounds I experienced several incidents of the round not fully chambering. (That's Out of battery for some of you.) Sometimes it was only enough to barely see. The funny part is, with each one, no matter how much or how little the slide did not seat, the trigger did not reset. Apparently the gun is either in battery or not, and the trigger resets or doesn't--accordingly.

I will add that this was with my Storm Lake aftermarket barrel, not the Glock OEM barrel. The SL barrel has a tighter chamber, and afterwards I found what appeared to be bullet wax build-up in the chamber which was preventing the round from seating. A bear to remove also. I've had this issue before with the SL barrel, it's never been a problem when using the OEM barrel.

#32 ·
OldVet, try mineral sprits to soften that bullet lube up first when you get that problem again, it may help with the cleaning process.

#24 ·
I had a barrel that had the ramp beveled by a "gunsmith" to the point where the case was not fully supported in the chamber, even when the slide was in battery. The brass would bulge or rupture in the exact same spot. I retired the barrel to serve as a cartridge gauge. Taught me to inspect the fired case for problems.

Gun with the case bulging was not a Glock, by the way. It was all steel.

#34 ·
I had a barrel that had the ramp beveled by a "gunsmith" to the point where the case was not fully supported in the chamber, even when the slide was in battery. The brass would bulge or rupture in the exact same spot. I retired the barrel to serve as a cartridge gauge. Taught me to inspect the fired case for problems..
^This also happened to me. It was an AMT .30 carbine pistol. A dealer friend had it in stock, had just taken it in trade. I'd just gotten a .30 carbine and went by to get some ammo. He told me he didn't have any in stock, but he'd give me his personal stash of .30 carbine if I'd also shoot his pistol and let him know if it was okay.

First thing I noticed was that the mainspring was weak as it took two drops of the hammer to fire. I got too focused on this and on the third shot BOOM!. Mag partially ejected, some side piece and a chunk of the right grip blew off, the slide went partially back and stuck (warped frame, I think) ... and ... you know ... stuff. I didn't look down, I just started counting fingers. I counted all 10 (three times) then looked down to find my still numb hands were mostly black. This was soot but it was three days before I could close my hands anywhere near a fist and it looked like someone had taken a red hot needle and touched both hands about 100 times each. TINY little burns but they sure smarted. The ejected brass told the story (same as yours, Splat). I learned a valuable lesson that day about checking brass, REALLY inspecting a weapon not trusting that someone else, more knowledgeable or not, did it, and to not let one problem get me so focused I fail to see a bigger one.

All guns are capable of failure. Given how they work, they can all fail catastrophically given the right circumstances. I know one police officer who, following some hurricane duty, found his RUSTED SHUT. Probably any other pistol would have been too, but even the almighty Glock is not infallible. I am not a huge Glock fan (I own and sometimes carry a Glock 26, carried it quite a bit, usually as a BUG in my years as a detective). They are incredible machines but for me there are better weapon platforms most of the time. For others, Glocks are a perfect fit. Again, like any machine, they can (and apparently DO) break.

#26 ·
I have seen a number of bulged cases out of blocks. one of the reasons I won't own one. The unsupported case area at the bottom of the barrel would seem to be the culprit. Also the occasional slide flying off after the first shot makes me never wan't to own one. Not to mention it going off when it wasn't intentional.

#33 ·
Yup. The "loaded chamber indicator" on my LCPs consists of a little window that lets you see the cartridge...which means that part of the cartridge is not supported! Oh no!

OP - Are you related to Rollo? :hand5:

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.