DoubleTap Tactical 10mm Auto Barnes TAC-XP tests

This is a discussion on DoubleTap Tactical 10mm Auto Barnes TAC-XP tests within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally getting around to some 10mm tests. This wasn't too bad for a first outing. Full report on the blog. Pocket Guns and Gear: DoubleTap ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ljutic
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By 481

Thread: DoubleTap Tactical 10mm Auto Barnes TAC-XP tests

DoubleTap Tactical 10mm Auto Barnes TAC-XP tests

Finally getting around to some 10mm tests. This wasn't too bad for a first outing.

Full report on the blog. Pocket Guns and Gear: DoubleTap Tactical 10mm Auto 125 Grain Barnes TAC-XP Multi Shot Terminal test

Teaser picture
    abillb likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. Remove Ads

I noticed you did not get the velocity from your barrel that was listed on the box. Is your conversion barrel a polygonal rifling? Many people make the same mistake. Double Tap 10mm is tested thru a Glock barrel, which is known to give higher velocities than a traditional rifled barrel.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Lonewolf barrel (traditional rifling) but I did up the recoil spring assembly to a 22lb. When I was deciding which barrel to buy for the conversion, everything I read said anything but Glock for chamber support issues.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

That's gonna leave a mark.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Finally getting around to some 10mm tests. This wasn't too bad for a first outing.

Full report on the blog. Pocket Guns and Gear: DoubleTap Tactical 10mm Auto 125 Grain Barnes TAC-XP Multi Shot Terminal test

Teaser picture

Normally not a fan of "light-for-caliber" ammo because penetration almost always suffers (< 12") if the bullet expands, but it looks like the Barnes TAC XP bullet is an option for having the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the tests.
    wrinkles likes this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

The TAC-XP is a really nice design in that yes, it does give good expansion while not compromising penetration too much. In my testing and verifying it by looking at Ljutic's pics here, it's that the Barnes bullet doesn't have a big solid blob of lead to mushroom out, which creates a large circular blob that has a relatively uniform diameter to it. Instead, the Barnes bullet is more like the Lehigh Maximum Expansion rounds, in that it has a smaller center and longer-reaching petals. There's more "empty space" within the circle defined by the outer reaches of the petals, but I think it's a more efficient use of space; the petals can reach farther and have the potential of cutting or nicking vital organs that the smaller, denser blob of lead might slip past. So you effectively get further reach, while maintaining deeper penetration, because the overall surface area is allocated more intelligently. The results of the CorBon DPX loading of that Barnes bullet, in a 3" 9mm, were shockingly great, especially considering the light weight of the bullet.

Ljutic, you said you got "the parts" to convert your G21 to a 10mm... did you get more than just the barrel and a mag?

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingTheBull View Post
    Ljutic, you said you got "the parts" to convert your G21 to a 10mm... did you get more than just the barrel and a mag?
    Recoil spring and extractor to hack on until it works reliably for both 45 and 10mm.

Links