9mm ammo question

This is a discussion on 9mm ammo question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a year ago I decided to go with 9mm as the caliber I would use. While I do have a Ruger LCP380 as a ...

Thread: 9mm ammo question

9mm ammo question

About a year ago I decided to go with 9mm as the caliber I would use. While I do have a Ruger LCP380 as a pocket gun back up. I began to wonder can the 9x18 used for the Makarov be fired in the 9mm Luger safely? I have to think that over the years this has happened being the 9X18 and 9X19 at first glance look the same. Understand theirs no way I would ever try this but is there any danger if this did happen?

2. Remove Ads

They are not interchangeable.
    The 9MM Luger (9x19) has a different bullet diameter than 9MM Makarov (9x18mm). The 9MM Makarov bullet is slightly wider in diameter at .365 inches compared to the 9MM Lugers .355".

Great so it wont chamber that eliminates any problems!

The deal with 9x18 was the russian made it so no NATO gun could fire it .. So if WW3 broke out NATO could not use captured stocks of ammo ..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

As stated, due to diameter differences, it shouldn't be able to chamber.

If it did, given the difference in case length, and the rounds head-space off the front of the casing, the firing pin would most likely not be long enough to strike the primer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    As stated, due to diameter differences, it shouldn't be able to chamber.

If it did, given the difference in case length, and the rounds head-space off the front of the casing, the firing pin would most likely not be long enough to strike the primer.
    ^^^ this ^^^

And since it is wider, and forced onto the .355 chamber, the 9x18 will not extract, and you will have to push out the live round from the front of the baqrrel.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links