Woods Ammo For The 40 S&W and 9mm

This is a discussion on Woods Ammo For The 40 S&W and 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you use in your 9mm and 40 S&W on the bike n hiking trail as far as ammo. I was thinking Hornady XTP ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Woods Ammo For The 40 S&W and 9mm

What do you use in your 9mm and 40 S&W on the bike n hiking trail as far as ammo. I was thinking Hornady XTP and also tourniquet bullets.
    We have the occasional hog sometimes run across the Moose once in awhile may see a black bear, Cougars or Wolves at times. As with any wildlife you never know who or what you may stumble upon in the woods.

If I were going to be carrying in the wilds and may encounter hostile critters I'd sure like something larger than 9mm. Having said that, I'd also prefer a hard cast lead round in whatever I'm carrying.
    StormRhydr and Taurahe like this.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

I think BB makes some heavy FN in 9mm, I'm confident that a 9mm, 40 Smith and Wesson or a.45 ACP would be just fine on the trail with the correct bullet and placement. The 44 mag is just to much for the trail.

Cool

Are you concerned with self protection or hunting ?

Both rounds are light for moose or black bear and marginal for hog at best.

I carry a 9mm and .40 S&W for two legged protection but my minimal for your situation would be a .357 magnum.

For a semi-auto a 10mm would be the lowest I would go however I do not own one.

If you must use the calibers you mentioned then I would go with the heaviest bullet available and I would go with Buffalo Bore.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...oduct_list&c=1
    wmhawth likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    A bonded heavy (180 gr) for the .40. It's less than ideal but would be much better than 9mm IMHO. A heavy .357 or better yet .44 mag would be the way I go for those circumstances. Good luck!
    GhostMaker and FlaRon like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

5lima30ret likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"Tourniquet bullets"??? Never heard of 'em.

If your potential threats are from bears, big cats and wolves, I'd leave the 9mm behind if you have something bigger. .40 is a move in the right direction but still a little short. In the handgun rounds, I'd choose a load that's heavy for the caliber and I'd favor penetration over expansion.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Worse case I would take the 45 Super or .460 Rowland with 265gr or 300gr Cast performance bullets.

Just looking for something a little bit lighter to carry around.

That was a typo it was supposed to be TMJ total metal jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    "Tourniquet bullets"??? Never heard of 'em.

If your potential threats are from bears, big cats and wolves, I'd leave the 9mm behind if you have something bigger. .40 is a move in the right direction but still a little short. In the handgun rounds, I'd choose a load that's heavy for the caliber and I'd favor penetration over expansion.
    The 45 super or 460 rowland can go, but that is a lot of weight on the hip, I would be better with an 12ga shotgun. It`s almost lighter. :)

If you have a 45acp, any 230 weight bullet is gonna be fine, although the 225 weight Lead TC bullet is the best.

For your 40, a 180 weight bullet in a controlled expansion design would be good.
    Both of these calibers and bullets I have listed should work fine on anything, even black bears.

There's really not much you can do with the 9mm to make it a woods gun. The only thing that would allow it to fill that role in a light capacity would be to find a 147-155 weight flat nose lead bullet that it would feed reliably, and I know of no such bullet.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by wildchild2010 View Post
    What do you use in your 9mm and 40 S&W on the bike n hiking trail as far as ammo. I was thinking Hornady XTP and also tourniquet bullets.
    We have the occasional hog sometimes run across the Moose once in awhile may see a black bear, Cougars or Wolves at times. As with any wildlife you never know who or what you may stumble upon in the woods.
    If you are absolutely confined to those two calibers...

You could load this-

9mm Ammo - 147 gr FMJ - Federal American Eagle 9mm Ammunition

or this-

40 S&W Ammo - 180 gr FMJ - Federal American Eagle .40S&W Ammunition - 50 Rounds

-and get roughly the same penetration -about 30-32 inches in soft tissue in which case I'd recommend using the .40 S&W for its (very) slightly wider wound channel.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Animals that can eat you? That scenario has SHOTGUN written all over it.

You can carry a backup handgun if you like - to shoot yourself with if the shotgun fails you.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    I'd carry a can of wasp spray as a back up, seriously. They shoot (spray) a long way and it would stop any of those animals if you get it in their face. Guns are great protection but the wasp spray keeps spraying and your aim wouldn't have to be that good if all you are wanting to do is keep the animal away from you. Still carry the gun and I like the .40 idea.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    For my .40 I would carry my handloaded home cast 175 gr LSWC/5.0 gr Unique. 5.5 gr gives it a lil more pep, but the 5.0 gr load shoots a lot better. But usually carrt a .357 magnum in the woods.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links