Rebuilding reloading data

This is a discussion on Rebuilding reloading data within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last summer I lost most of my reloading equipment and supplies in a house fire. I have finally replaced enough that I can begin reloading ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By hdhnict
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder

Thread: Rebuilding reloading data

Last summer I lost most of my reloading equipment and supplies in a house fire. I have finally replaced enough that I can begin reloading my pistol ammo. Thankfully, my powder magazine is in my shop, so didn't lose that!

A really BIG thank you to all the Friends (online and FTF) who have helped accomplish that task.

Now for my problem.
    I have no records of my past reloading data.
    I am kicking myself for not backing up my reloading data. Think about what it would take to replace all your favorite handloads.
    I had specific loads tailored for their intended purpose and to each firearm.

Target loads have been easy to manage and I have enough loaded now to carry through the next year or two.

Now I am beginning to work on hunting loads for this fall.

Just whining. Keep thinking about all the time put in working up handloads.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't keep logs of data, I just load what works. Pretty simple for me, most loads are mid-range of published load data. If I try something and it doesn't work out, it's history. 48 grains of 4064 under a Sierra SPBT is all my -06 needs for almost anything except big bears or moose, which aren't on my agenda. I don't change bullets/powders much once I settle on a load.
    denclaste likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Handloads.com has a database that is searchable by caliber, powder, bullet weight. Some have chrono data.
    Might be a place to "jog your memory" regarding where to start.
    TSKnight likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Partner, that stinks and I'm very sorry for you. You bring an interesting point here. Less for my own but for my dads loads and records for the rifles he left behind; I'm so happy that I've got his logs for his loads. Oh what a drag it would be to lose his original log book AND the data within. I need backup.

I guess, try to remember how cool it is when you strike gold on a load and go with that as your top side view. Durn.
    TSKnight likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Sorry about the fire, I keep my load data in an Excel Spreadsheet. It includes bullet weight, powder measurement, primer type and Power Factor for competetion uses. I am down to 2 different powders and two brands of primers. I also have a copy of the file on a memory stick.
    TSKnight likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Thanks for the replies.

I am now using a computer spread sheet for my load data which is automatically backed up with the rest of the computer files each day.

Would really hate to lose my Grandfather's log book. If was me, I'd photo copy it and keep the original in a fire safe.

I've used handloads.com for a couple of years, so have been looking back through their load data now.

Something else I started doing is putting ALL the load data on the boxes as I load it. I used to assign a lot # and list bullet/powder/date loaded.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Sponsored Links