stopping power testing

stopping power testing

This is a discussion on stopping power testing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopping Power: Myths, Legends, and Realities - Article - POLICE Magazine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: stopping power testing

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    All I know is if you shoot someone with .44 mag across a football field they will pretty much do a back flip. I've see it myself!
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns others "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Sounded like a politician. There were a lot of words, but he said nothing.
    maxwell97 and Oreste like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I think he said what most of us already know... caliber doesn't matter much but holes in important places get the job done.

A few .45 lovers will still say bigger is always better and some 9 mm lovers will say smaller and faster is better but I think by now most of us know its more important where the holes are than how big they are.
    sdprof likes this.
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I like the idea of putting big holes in important places !
    poetdante and 481 like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

How many of us can consistently put a round exactly where you want to in someone shooting at you or running at you with a knife?
    NECCdude likes this.

U.S. Army, Retired

Mas Ayoob tells a story about a NY cop who had cleaned his 38 revolver by soaking it with WD-40. He thought he would save time and not remove the bullets. Some days later the cop was on the subway and was held up at knife point. When they cop pulled his revolver and dropped the hammer, it went "click", the would be robber died of a hear attack. He said that "click" was the loudest sound he has ever heard. Point is, that was a true NO SHOT stop.

Flukes happen. All we can do is choose what we have confidence in and can shoot well. The rest is all variables that we can't control.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Sounded like a politician. There were a lot of words, but he said nothing.
    Very true. Unfortunately that's the way the discussion always goes. There's no respectable body of science behind what causes stops, just conjecture masquerading as professional opinion.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    I like the idea of putting big holes in important places !
    Yep. Rinse and repeat.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Distinguished Member
    I know we are all aware of the saying not the size of the dog but the size of the fight in the dog. The same is true with people. Some take a small injury and fall down and stop fighting. Others will take catastrophic wounds and still kill you before they expire. Hand guns are very poor at stopping people.

Dinner time got to go.
    hdhnict likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    .50 bmg ftw!!
    hdhnict likes this.
    "Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I know we are all aware of the saying not the size of the dog but the size of the fight in the dog. The same is true with people. Some take a small injury and fall down and stop fighting. Others will take catastrophic wounds and still kill you before they expire.
    I think manolito hit the nail on the head with this comment. Short of a massive shock to the CNS (which he also says here)
    Hand guns are very poor at stopping people.
    a pissed off/methed up BG is gonna soak up a whole lotta lead (or copper jacket/gilding material or whatever) before their subscription expires.

Hand guns are very poor at stopping people.
    As so many people do, looking back the '86 Miami debacle, the BG's (primarily Platt) must've had an enormous adrenaline spike and like a Timex watch they "took a licking and kept on ticking". They wore only t-shirts or similar and so nothing like a leather jacket or heavy winter clothes which would further impede an appropriate shock to where it needs to go. What was needed was a serious shock to their CNS and it wasn't delivered.

I can fully appreciate why LEO's carry an AR in their patrol vehicles. A friend of mine is now a "Cycle" cop and I'm glad he's only on traffic. When he was working the afternoon/evening shift (as well as the graveyard shift) his AR was readily available. That's good thinking.

Overall, the article was informative, but as the author stated it wasn't written to give off-the-shelf buying suggestions. It did state what is fairly common knowledge amongst those who take HD/SD seriously - get as many rounds on target to the appropriate place to disrupt neurological functioning to stop the aggressor.

I completely agree. So my vote is for as many holes as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    How many of us can consistently put a round exactly where you want to in someone shooting at you or running at you with a knife?
    hdhnict likes this.

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    He just repeated what has been known since the stone age; hit someone where it will do the most damage. Since it would be illegal to attempt tests on live human subjects there are no scientific studies done to date that will give us the needed data on modern bullets effect on humans. Yes you can extrapolate from previous studies and autopsy reports but that's just a guess in many instances. So we are pretty much left with going with what we believe will work and hope that it does.
    sensei2 likes this.

Carry the best gun you can afford in the largest caliber you can control with the most capacity you will carry every day.
    hdhnict, ETXhiker and andrewcdub like this.

U.S. Army, Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links