new firearm owner wondering about ammo.

This is a discussion on new firearm owner wondering about ammo. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I said, I'm new to all this firearm business. I'm still acquainting myself with all the rules and regulations in all the many aspects ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: new firearm owner wondering about ammo.

As I said, I'm new to all this firearm business. I'm still acquainting myself with all the rules and regulations in all the many aspects of being a gun owner. I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction of the regulations on hollow point ammunition in New Mexico. I've heard different things about it's legality. The main question I have is, is it legal for me to carry with hollow point rounds outside my home or is it only legal for in home defence?

I cannot help you, but i would he very surprised of you were not allowed to carry JHP (jacketed Hollow points). Many will agree that hollow points are a more responsible choice for carry for various reasons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    EMTJosh likes this.

Yes, it is perfectly legal for you to carry JHP (hollow point) ammo in your weapon. At home or out.
    NM is an open carry state, but you must have a license to conceal carry.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Most anything you can buy at the store will be ok

Distinguished Member
    As an aside, there are benefits to ball ammo (or non-hollow point) based on bullet weight, caliber, firearm, barrel length, season (yes, that's right), intended use, etc. We won't even go into chrono. Hollow points aren't the be all, end all. They are probably the majority load for SD, and more often that not that's probably appropriate, but not always. Or said differently, a hollow point is not always necessarily necessary. You've got a whole world of interwebz surfing ahead of you but you'll find it confusingly educational. Welcome newbz. You found a good community. BTW....get to a range and please consider some training. It will go a LONG way on many fronts.

I think Easy8 has it right. If you can buy it off the shelf in NM, I expect you can carry it in NM.
    NewportReds likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I shoot 9mm 1911s, and I prefer finochhi or Sellers and Beloit - 9mm ball ammo seems to run better for me. So I pay $15 a box, rather than $35 for some Hollow Point SD ammo.

Just depends on your gun.
    NewportReds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    I shoot 9mm 1911s, and I prefer finochhi or Sellers and Beloit - 9mm ball ammo seems to run better for me. So I pay $15 a box, rather than $35 for some Hollow Point SD ammo.

You carry FMJ 9mm ??? God I hate to be the person behind the guy you shoot

If 9MM hp wont run get guard dog and the like FMJ looking rounds that are HP

Please dont carry ball 9mm that is not going to have much stoping power and will over pentrated ... Why do you think the mil hates the 92s ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

If you provide us with some information such as: what gun and caliber/ carrying in wilderness, populated areas, both/ home defense and carry/ or? You will find as many opinions as there are posters; each believing they have made the correct decision for THEIR use. I EDC 10mm's and carry 180gr hollow points but also have a mag loaded with 180gr FMJ/FP with me. These choices wont be valid for you unless you are using the same equipment and have the same expectations that I do. Just give us the best info you can and we will do the best we can to guide you along.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I won't say what someone should use.I wouldn't want to get shot with any ammo.That said,i wouldn't have the FMJs in mine.I use the Speer Gold Dot 124 and 147 gr HP in my 9mm.

Obviously you have to decide what you think is best for whatever you are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post

The main difference between HP and ball is with hp you are less likely to get over penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    You carry FMJ 9mm ??? God I hate to be the person behind the guy you shoot

If 9MM hp wont run get guard dog and the like FMJ looking rounds that are HP

Please dont carry ball 9mm that is not going to have much stoping power and will over pentrated ... Why do you think the mil hates the 92s ...

$62 for fifty is expensive range ammo - now I am paying $15 for fifty. But you are 100% correct.

Distinguished Member
    I am glad you have become interested and are willing to ask questions. I hope you enjoy your time with guns as much as I have.

Question Wrongrecroom could you point me to some articles about over penetration of 9mm jacketed. I shoot .40 and .45 so I have not read anything about the 9mm jacketed round and overpenetration.

Thanks Bill

JHP is normally better for SD. And I think pretty much legal except maybe in a couple of the very worst anti gun states.

That said the over penetration while not a non issue is not as big an issue as its made out to be. Youd be much more likely to hit a bystander with a miss than with a through and though shot. I practice with FMJ carry JHP. But if FMJ is what all you have, or all your gun will feed then FMJ is what you carry.

Just and aside. As I said I and the wife carry JHP. But from shot to shot theres no guarantee that a JHP wont plug or not expand and act just like a FMJ, except in jello blocks
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

There are no restrictions regarding ammunition in NM- at this time. It is not mentioned anywhere in the statutes or administrative code that I know of- except for the stipulation that you must carry what you qualified with for your license, if you are carrying concealed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links