What do bullets do to people

This is a discussion on What do bullets do to people within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This text and photo's are of real injuries. This is raw traumatic injury photo's use caution in opening and exposing young children to these images. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: What do bullets do to people

Distinguished Member

This text and photo's are of real injuries. This is raw traumatic injury photo's use caution in opening and exposing young children to these images.
    Penetrating Trauma

For me this has been the best I have found showing exactly what gun shot wounds do to people. The treatment and success of repairing these injuries is pretty impressive.
    gatorbait51, PEF, ccw9mm and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    This text and photo's are of real injuries. This is raw traumatic injury photo's use caution in opening and exposing young children to these images.
    Penetrating Trauma

For me this has been the best I have found showing exactly what gun shot wounds do to people. The treatment and success of repairing these injuries is pretty impressive.

Oh God. Now I remember why I went to engineering school instead of medical school.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    Hope I never get shot. Survival rates are very high, but the disabilities can last forever.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

You and me both.

You know, when i was around 7 or 8, my dad had me come with him; he had the .22 I learned to shoot with him.

There was a cottontail by the garden; I was to shoot it.

I did.

I've been under no illusions to what bullets do in flesh and bone ever since.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Visually, one can get over the shock. Though, sometimes the smell can be overwhelming...
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

These are the far end of the spectrum. Very, very few of the shootings I work look anything like this. And of those that do, the majority are dead before I get there, so I don't actually work them, either.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Oh God. Now I remember why I went to engineering school instead of medical school.
    Ditto
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Any penetrating wound can look horrific . Shrapnel wounds are especially so.
    manolito likes this.

Of all the shootings I worked as an LEO, only one came close to what is displayed here, It was a closerange shotgun blast to a males abdomen and it was pretty gnarly looking. everything else was handguns, both ball and JHP, and all of them were just a small hole and maybe a trickle of blood. The exit wounds, on the otherhand, could be rather impressive but still not look like these images. The closest I saw to any of this was several knife wounds.... now those are a gnarly wound in every way. There is nothing like seeing fat flesh and intestine hanging out of a 6 inch gash on a victims belly....
    manolito and AmmoFan01 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Of all the shootings I worked as an LEO, only one came close to what is displayed here, It was a closerange shotgun blast to a males abdomen and it was pretty gnarly looking. everything else was handguns, both ball and JHP, and all of them were just a small hole and maybe a trickle of blood. The exit wounds, on the otherhand, could be rather impressive but still not look like these images. The closest I saw to any of this was several knife wounds.... now those are a gnarly wound in every way. There is nothing like seeing fat flesh and intestine hanging out of a 6 inch gash on a victims belly....
    Probably not by chance that they seem to have chosen photos of shotgun wounds from birdshot.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    This is why I don't like birdshot.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Knarly. I have seen some of this stuff first hand, and it is never pretty. People do not realize that the nifty hole, as in a Hollywood movie, does not exist most of the time. Well, from the exit side anyways.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Oh, I don't know. I always thought that the semi-tractor/trailer vs. pedestrians or motorcyclists were worse in that regard. (Think explosive abdominal evisceration)

Now that is 'stopping power'.
    manolito and Taurahe like this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links