What .357 Mag Defensive ammo do you use?

This is a discussion on What .357 Mag Defensive ammo do you use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having what Guantes is having for woods carry in my 586 4 inch, 125 Golden Sabers around town until I try some others. My ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What .357 Mag Defensive ammo do you use?

I'm having what Guantes is having for woods carry in my 586 4 inch, 125 Golden Sabers around town until I try some others. My 3" 60 Pro has Speer 135 gr Gold Dot short barrels that I scored the last box of two weeks ago at my LGS. I plan to hit the range HARD next week and try some other stuff for point of aim and user interface; I'll see what I find out. I don't think you can go too wrong with the 125+ grains from the better brands, from my internet surfing.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Wow all the grain sizes are so much smaller than I thought. The Black Talon were 180gr and I see most are recommending 125gr, times have changed. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
    The 125 gr Golden Sabres actually achieve advertised velocities out of short barrels. For my bigger guns, I always go heavy!

125 Gr golden saber exclusively now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    I agree with acparmed: based on the 100+ handgun killings I've seen, I worried more about penetration and do not trust a lighter bullet.

Actually, I worry the 125-gr bullet is too light, too. Like most folks, I swallowed the Marshall & Sanow line and took up carrying the 125-grain Rem SJHPs in the late '80s. Nowadays, though, the lightest I'll ever go is Federal's 130-grain (and surprisingly sprightly) Personal Defense Hydrashoks.

And, on hikes, I carry Buffalo Bore 158-grain JHC .357s. They positively HOWL out of the gun, and they're heavy enough that I feel they'll penetrate reasonably well.
    Buffalo Bore uses flash surpressed powders in all their ammunition. You might take a look at some of their offerings. They are known to make high power quality rounds. Their not the cheapest ammo out there but they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Buffalo Bore uses flash surpressed powders in all their ammunition. You might take a look at some of their offerings. They are known to make high power quality rounds. Their not the cheapest ammo out there but they are good.
    I am a HUGE fan of buffalo bore. I carry it in my G29 and P3at, however after doing extensive night time testing with my smith, lcr, and taurus jframes I found the low recoil low flash .357 offering had more flash back into the weapon shooter than the golden saber 125gr and the 158gr jsp I tested. I was not impressed with it.

Speer Short Barrel GDHP 135gr. .357 in my snubby. Federal .357 158gr. Hydra-Shok in my larger guns.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links