What .357 Mag Defensive ammo do you use?

This is a discussion on What .357 Mag Defensive ammo do you use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use Win Ranger T or Rem Golden Saber for my 9mm and .40 and in my .38 I use Win Silver Tip (muzzle flash ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What .357 Mag Defensive ammo do you use?

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar

I use Win Ranger T or Rem Golden Saber for my 9mm and .40 and in my .38 I use Win Silver Tip (muzzle flash is to bright though) I have a S&W 686 but I have not carried it since the Black Talon was available(mid 90's). I am hoping to dump the .38 J frame and move in a .357 J frame soon, So what ammo is available, Ranger T is not made for that caliber, Silver Tip has a very bright muzzle flash, and I don't know anything about Rem GS for revolvers. So what do you suggest?

Winchester 110gr JHP white box for practice. Cor Bon 110 for carry, or PB or DPX.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Thumbs up 357 Mag ammo

Either MagSafe SWAT load or 125gr SJHP.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

1952 - 2006
    In my experience the 110gr loads do not have the penetration neccessary for self defense. The 125gr bullet is the best load for the 357 Mag. In my 357 I keep Hornady 125gr XTP HP. In my tests they reliably expand to 57 cal. and maintain 92% of their original weight. That's what I call an effective load.
    Just MY .02 worth.
    Justified likes this.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

When i carry it and thats rare more of a bedside gun it gets 125 something or other SJHP's . Only thing that will shoot point of aim in this gun is 125's everthing heavyer is way low

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Wow all the grain sizes are so much smaller than I thought. The Black Talon were 180gr and I see most are recommending 125gr, times have changed. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I agree with acparmed: based on the 100+ handgun killings I've seen, I worried more about penetration and do not trust a lighter bullet.

Actually, I worry the 125-gr bullet is too light, too. Like most folks, I swallowed the Marshall & Sanow line and took up carrying the 125-grain Rem SJHPs in the late '80s. Nowadays, though, the lightest I'll ever go is Federal's 130-grain (and surprisingly sprightly) Personal Defense Hydrashoks.

And, on hikes, I carry Buffalo Bore 158-grain JHC .357s. They positively HOWL out of the gun, and they're heavy enough that I feel they'll penetrate reasonably well.

Super:
    My wife carries a S&W 640-1 J frame 357 and we use Remington 125gr Golden Sabre in it. Very controlabel & accurate. When I carry my S&W M19 2.5" 357 I use Federal 125gr Hi Shok. Heavy duty load - very fast - if you are recoil sensitive this might be a bit much in a J frame.

Lee......................
    Take Care.... Stay Safe.... Only Good Hits Count

I liked the Cor Bon 110 JHP for carry when I had my .357

Currently I carry the Remington G. Sabers in 125 or CCI 158 JHP depending on the season. I would prefer something 140 grain or larger based on the information that I have been getting from other forums.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child might have peace."
    - Thomas Paine

Thumbs up

PMC 150gr starfire 357's is what i carry in a 3" 3" 65-3.It was the most accurate load i tried,
    lower flash than most 357's.Recoil isn't bad and it shoots to POA at 15 yards.They cost less than other loads but that wasn't a primary reason i bought them.

VIP Member
    Remington 125gr JHP. Used with good results by several PDs. Of the LEO shootings I researched only one BG continued to fight after being hit, but to be fair it wasn't a serious wound and it was in the arm. A second hit ended that confrontation. Most gave up after just being shot at. If you've ever fired this round you'll understand why.

I was shooting indoors one day and some Fed LEOs were doing their quals at the other end of the range (12 lanes). I ran through some of these 125s and they came down to see what kind of cannon I was shooting. They were amazed it was "just" a 357 magnum.

BTW if you like the Black Talon get the Winchester SXT. Same basic design, just not an "evil black bullet". IIRC it has one more petal than the BTs did.

-Scott-

FLM
    Some of the experts recommend the 180 gr Speer Partition Gold. I've never tried it.

I carry 145gr. Winchester Silvertips in my S&W 640.

FLM: Winchester makes the Partition Gold, Speer makes the Gold Dot.

I've read this with interest and wanted to see what all everyone said.

.357 Magnum is my .45 ACP basically in that it's the most outright effective handgun caliber I can possibly use.

I have found that any 125 grain JHP is quite serviceable. The debate is really over which particular cartridge that fits this general description is best as far as I'm concerned.

I think as long as it's good ammunition, Remington, Winchester, Speer, whatever you like, there's nothing to worry about.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links