The Tree Piercing Shotgun Slug. What Do You Think?

This is a discussion on The Tree Piercing Shotgun Slug. What Do You Think? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my hands on something called a Monolit 32. One of our viewers uses the shell for hunting and asked for a test, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Tree Piercing Shotgun Slug. What Do You Think?

I got my hands on something called a Monolit 32. One of our viewers uses
    the shell for hunting and asked for a test, so here it is!

What's with the weird shape?

The Monolit 32 closely resembles a type of slug that is commonly used by hunters
    throughout Eastern Europe. A similar type of slug may have been fired at Ukrainian
    protesters earlier in the year. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bel21ULCcAAbStG.jpg:large

The shape is apparently great for stabilizing the hunting load at longer ranges.
    The projectile is comprised of a steel slug and a polymer base. DDupleks, The
    company that manufacturers the Monolit 32, claims that the slug will not deviate
    from its intended flight path even after penetrating small trees. This makes the
    Monolit type slug good for hunting is heavily forested areas.

What's so great about a steel slug?

The idea seemed a bit gimmicky to me at first. Anyone that's shot a lead slug knows
    it usually has no trouble getting the job done, and they're relatively cheap. Lead slugs
    do face problems punching through barriers though, so I thought I would give these a test.

testing Setup

I wanted to test the rounds ability to penetrate barriers, so we used a slightly
    different set up than normal. In this test we set up an inch of wood and then two
    blocks of clear synthetic gelatin (ballistic gelatin). We fired the shell through the Remington 870
    form a distance of 10 feet. To measure the projectile's
    velocity we used the F1 Chrony Chronograph (great piece of equipment that I highly recommend).

Results

The DDupleks Monolit 32 left the barrel at 1591 feet per second. This is a full 181 feet per second faster than advertised.
    I was a bit worried that my shot would miss, but luckily it was dead on. The slug punched cleanly through both sheets
    of half inch wood and easily traversed the eight in gap to the first block of ballistic gelatin.

Upon striking the gelatin, the projectile created a temporary cavity five inches in diameter. This cavity tapered
    down the entire first block and had an ending diameter of three inches. It is important to note that a temporary
    cavity of this size is rarely seen in any of our tests. The only cavity that came close was the Terminator Slug.
    The Monolit was able to transfer 3763 Joules of energy into the target.

The total penetration was twenty inches. The slug's path through the first block was impressively level. After
    entering the second block, the slug slanted downwards and struck the table. We found the slug embedded in the table top with no deformation.
    Last edited by usmc9688; May 13th, 2014 at 07:15 PM.

2. Remove Ads

If I ever intend to shoot a deer through a tree I'll keep these in mind.
    Tactical Senior Junior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactically Stealth Tactics And Tactical Bad-Assery

IMHO, there's are fine (tried & true, time-tested) reasons why barrels are traditionally made of steel while intended projectiles made of...softer metal. If something is gonna' take a pounding, I prefer it to be the lesser-expensive, more disposable component. When slugs, uh...QUIT WORKING, I perhaps may reconsider my opinion.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Looks like it ought to make a vehicle and swiss cheese have a lot in common.
    usmc9688 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If they ever open a tree hunting season,you`ll be covered.
    Taurahe and Badey like this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, there's are fine (tried & true, time-tested) reasons why barrels are traditionally made of steel while intended projectiles made of...softer metal. If something is gonna' take a pounding, I prefer it to be the lesser-expensive, more disposable component. When slugs, uh...QUIT WORKING, I perhaps may reconsider my opinion.

It must be a very hard Lead alloy but, any Lead even alloyed to the degree of being brittle would still be much softer than a steel barrel. So no real worry there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The trees are our friends! Save the trees, test on a scumbag! We need more oxygen!
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    forgive my ignorance, how does a steel slug not qualify as AP? i thought anything steel or tungsten was automatically AP and thusly poo-poo? it doesn't count for shotty's?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    If I ever intend to shoot a deer through a tree I'll keep these in mind.

What if I wanted to shoot a tree through a deer?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    forgive my ignorance, how does a steel slug not qualify as AP? i thought anything steel or tungsten was automatically AP and thusly poo-poo? it doesn't count for shotty's?
    Doesn't count for shotguns or for rifles. The prohibition is for handguns.

The definition of AP ammo is at 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17): "(B) The term `armor piercing ammunition' means- (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile....(snipped)

Also see http://www.pagunblog.com/2007/07/29/...piercing-ammo/

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Thats a cool lookin slug though

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Doesn't count for shotguns or for rifles. The prohibition is for handguns.

The definition of AP ammo is at 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17): "(B) The term `armor piercing ammunition' means- (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile....(snipped)

Also see Armor Piercing Ammo | Shall Not Be Questioned
    so, in theory one could turn their own, solid tungsten bullets, so long as they were in a cartridge not for handguns? say a .338 mag?

how has the contender not rendered a bunch of calibers inelligible? can you still legally buy .30-06 AP ammo? i know you can't for .223 and 5.7x28, ut there are handguns for those, for sure, does it not count in contenders and rifle chambered bolt action handguns?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

IMHO, there are fine (tried & true, time-tested) reasons why barrels are traditionally made of steel while intended projectiles made of...softer metal. If something is gonna' take a pounding, I prefer it to be the lesser-expensive, more disposable component
    Interesting video - thanks for posting.

I'm with Tracker, though. That slug didn't have a scratch on it after all of that...what's it doing to my barrel?!
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I think the slug rides on that green stuff and stays off the barrel. It would be interesting to fire it in a rifled barrel and compare it to sabots.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member
    The slug steel or lead should not touch the barrel. It should be encapsulated in plastic unless something has changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links