Plastic vs Metal Ammo boxes?

This is a discussion on Plastic vs Metal Ammo boxes? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a better 50 cal ammo box and can't decide between plastic or metal. The site Buy Ammo Cans | Storage SolutionsThe Ultimate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Plastic vs Metal Ammo boxes?

Plastic vs Metal Ammo boxes?

I'm looking for a better 50 cal ammo box and can't decide between plastic or metal. The site Buy Ammo Cans | Storage SolutionsThe Ultimate Guide to Ammo Cans and Storage - Buy Ammo Cans | Buy Ammo Cans had an interesting article talking about burying ammo - which is better to do with plastic. Interesting idea

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I tried burying ammo once, but nothing ever grew.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I bet you didn't fertilize it with gun oil.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

And it requires good aeration, you have to shoot several bullets around the bulb to create void spaces that allow fresh oxygen exchange at the root.
    Navydude and Sister like this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Had a Marine who, after he got off of Enlisted Duty, was driving in FL and got stopped and searched. Turned out he had a full trunk of Military issued ammo and explosives. He apparently was burying it all over the LZ where the Helos would pick us up for Para-Ops training. He must of applied a lot of gun oil (LOL) because he got something like 16 or more years confinement. The LEO or the State of FL was not impresses with his apparent green thumb............................... Lucky I never personally signed for any of the Lots of ammo/stuff he had....................................... What an idiot! This was back in the '90s, not current.
    Navydude and herpjunkie like this.

"Ammo cans in particular are an essential part of any hunters gear and choosing a quality can is sometimes the difference between getting the perfect shot and missing."

In my book, that is a complete load of hooey. I have plenty of ammo boxes. GI issue, and plastic, and not one of them for hunting use.

I have taken over 50 white tail deer, (not that many I know), and not once did an ammo box have a thing to do with any of them.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Plastic will give you less of a detection signature when the Man comes to raid you and sweeps your property. Just sayin..................................
    welder516 and DingBat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Plastic will give you less of a detection signature when the Man comes to raid you and sweeps your property. Just sayin..................................
    Yep, as long as you have it filled with plastic bullets
    Navydude and poetdante like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Your tin foil hat will give you away every time though:)
    Navydude, Taurahe and ANGLICO like this.

You also need to mulch it with cinder blocks.....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

plastic ... they are 6 bucks at walmart
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    The Main objective when storing ammunition is to avoid high temperature (above 150 Deg. F) and to keep the powder dry.

If humidity can be controlled, burying in a metal or plastic container, while a somewhat extreme solution would most likely solve any high temp problems but not necessarily extreme temperature fluctuations that can also cause ammo to deteriorate.

Either metal or plastic boxes work fine. In fact, storing ammo in their original cartons works fine as long as it not subjected to high heat or moisture.

Here is a link to what SAAMI says: http://www.saami.org/specifications_...Ammunition.pdf
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member
    Don't know. Down here at the coast you want plastic everything, esp in the ground. Everything rust and fast. I've never been to Chicago so I don't know what your climate is other than you get lots and lots of snow, at least that is the pictures I see on TV. I worked with a lady from there and she thinks she is in heaven here. It must get really cold there.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    My ammo cans are all plastic with a rubber seal. They work for what they were intended for...holding ammo.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Thought about it once but figured the glock bird would just fly over the range and take them all. I don't keep ammo long enough to germinate. My glock is one hungry gun. What I can store ends up in plastic but gets cycled thru pretty regular. Out with the old in with the new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links