Is this possible?

This is a discussion on Is this possible? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Salutations, I'm a newbie to many things. Recently, i heard of revolvers 'accidentally discharging' while holstered with a cartridge in front of the firing pin. ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Sbestry
  • 6 Post By coffeecup
  • 4 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 1 Post By subhuman
  • 4 Post By John_W_in_SC
  • 1 Post By Donn
  • 1 Post By PEF

Thread: Is this possible?

Is this possible?

Salutations,
    I'm a newbie to many things. Recently, i heard of revolvers 'accidentally discharging' while holstered with a cartridge in front of the firing pin. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this first or second hand. Should I not be running with 5/5 or should i keep my .357's bore clear when i climb fences? Cuz im in arizona, the sherriff has alot of fences.
    Sleepless in arizona.
    Navydude likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The older ones without a transfer bar would do that if dropped or the hammer struck hard enough. Double action revolvers for the most part are not prone to accidental discharge.

This is a concern with some prehistoric single-action revolvers, but it requires something striking the hammer. The gun's not going to go off just from jiggling it or something.

Absolutely not an issue with a modern double-action.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

it is said that in the old west many carried 5 rounds and dropped the hammer on the empty cylinder to avoid accidental discharge.

for the life of me i can't remember where i heard that maybe even this wasn't true and that they usually loaded all six. might have been a Hickok45 video he mentioned it in passing.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

unless you are carring a SAA Colt or clone of it or an old 3 screw blackhawk you should be okay fully loaded
    Bad Bob likes this.

Yes, it is quite possible. And I must respectfully disagree with those who suggest it only happens with older single action revolvers. I have a cheap double action with the firing pin as part of the hammer. It lacks a hammer block or transfer bar system, but relies instead on a half cock notch. The notch has worn to the point it doesn't hold the hammer, which rests on (or can fall on) a primer. Its an accident waiting to happen. I keep it around as a visual aid for discussing gun safety issues.

Modern revolvers, whether single action or double action, use either a hammer block or a transfer bar to physically prevent the firing pin from contacting a primer unless the trigger is pulled. (S&W uses a hammer block, Ruger a transfer bar.) Your best bet is to find a friend or instructor who can show you different revolvers with different systems, and explain how they work. You can also try searching for "hammer block safety revolver" and "transfer bar safety revolver" without the quotes. You will then know what to look for when you examine a gun. (Hint: Gun store employees are often not the best sources of reliable information.)

Quality revolvers are designed to be carried with a cartridge in every chamber, and are quite safe that way. Even a few minutes searching will tell you what you have, and whether it is safe to carry fully loaded.

John W in SC

Quote Originally Posted by vice87 View Post
    it is said that in the old west many carried 5 rounds and dropped the hammer on the empty cylinder to avoid accidental discharge.

for the life of me i can't remember where i heard that maybe even this wasn't true and that they usually loaded all six. might have been a Hickok45 video he mentioned it in passing.
    In his memoirs, Wyatt Earp mentioned he had a negligent discharge when his gun fell out of the holster and the hammer hit the floor. I look at my Colt Single-Action Army and the firing pin is right there, either sitting on or very near the primer. Either way. I've always loaded five.
    vice87 likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

I can't comment on newer guns but older guns could have that happen. Once I found out how smart my dad was and started listening to him. He only loaded 5 and that was why. Newer guns are suppose to be ok to have all chambers loaded but for the life of me I can't do it. Hard to get out of that old habit.

Of course my EDC is a Glock 19 so no worries there. Welcome to the forum

By the 1968 GCA all guns must be drop safe ... That said as other said some single action wheel guns will fire if droped ( some new models wont some will) so if it is single action assume non drop safe .. But your mordern halfway quailty gun in good shape should not fire if droped ( now some cheep ring of fire gun all bets are off I say) ... Also if it drops dont try to catch it .. Let it fall

Really the only guns that can fire if droped are open bolt guns like the first macs etc .. Really old guns pre 68 or Single action cowboy guns ...Mordern guns should not
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Hickcock45 expleines and show all this .. Watch and see :)
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I only own Modern S&W's and Rugers...... They all get 6, and safely.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

On the old guns you can rotate the cylinder so that the firing pin rests between the cartridges. Could you break the firing pin? I suppose (I think it's unlikely but Murphy could say different). The old cap and ball revolvers you could rest the hammer between the caps and carry 6 safely.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post

Hickcock45 expleines and show all this .. Watch and see :)
    Why did he put dings in the handle of his nice hawk?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John_W_in_SC View Post
    Yes, it is quite possible. And I must respectfully disagree with those who suggest it only happens with older single action revolvers. I have a cheap double action with the firing pin as part of the hammer. It lacks a hammer block or transfer bar system, but relies instead on a half cock notch. The notch has worn to the point it doesn't hold the hammer, which rests on (or can fall on) a primer. Its an accident waiting to happen. I keep it around as a visual aid for discussing gun safety issues.

Modern revolvers, whether single action or double action, use either a hammer block or a transfer bar to physically prevent the firing pin from contacting a primer unless the trigger is pulled. (S&W uses a hammer block, Ruger a transfer bar.) Your best bet is to find a friend or instructor who can show you different revolvers with different systems, and explain how they work. You can also try searching for "hammer block safety revolver" and "transfer bar safety revolver" without the quotes. You will then know what to look for when you examine a gun. (Hint: Gun store employees are often not the best sources of reliable information.)

Quality revolvers are designed to be carried with a cartridge in every chamber, and are quite safe that way. Even a few minutes searching will tell you what you have, and whether it is safe to carry fully loaded.

John W in SC
    That about sums it up, OP. But not all "modern" revolvers are equal. I believe Smith started with the hammer block in the mid-40's. I expect you are not carrying or using a vintage double action revolver, however. If you are unsure, do some searching on your revolver (make, model and dash number, if the latter is applicable). Or let us know what you have and we might be able to tell you exactly what to look for.

Best,
    PEF
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Cuz im in arizona, the sherriff has alot of fences.
    And why, pray tell, do you need to jump all of these fences?

Links