4" Barrel 9mm (HK P30) ammunition opinions.

This is a discussion on 4" Barrel 9mm (HK P30) ammunition opinions. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; D.C. Members, From your experiences what ammunition would you carry in an HK P30 with a 4" Barrel? Currently I carry 135 +P critical duty ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bama61
  • 2 Post By giz5792

Thread: 4" Barrel 9mm (HK P30) ammunition opinions.

D.C. Members,

From your experiences what ammunition would you carry in an HK P30 with a 4" Barrel?

Currently I carry 135 +P critical duty and 124 +P Fmj in my spare magazine.

I do all my training with 115 fmj white box/ UMC bulk. (150 a month average).

Thank you for your time.
    Ron

Distinguished Member
    I have a LC9 and carry 124 critical duty in it. It's a little smaller than yours and I've found the plus P to be a little too much. Unless you just really like the P try just the regular CD in 124.
    Navydude and GWarden like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Anything that has the letters HST or words Gold Dot in its name. Standard pressure should work just fine, unless you want to try the +P. Underwood also makes some good stuff, but it is warm.
    Navydude and GWarden like this.

I use CorBon +P 115 gr and Remington 124 gr BJHP. Until I came on board here I really did not give it to much mind. After seeing some of the threads I have started rethinking my choice of ammo for my 9mm G19. When I started carrying I used my 1911 45cal full size with 230 gr hydra shocks. Little bit too much weight and did not want to have safety to mess with when I drew my handgun. Hmm that's my story and I sticking to it.

DC members,

How did you choose your ammunition?

Randomly? Research claims? Physical tests?

I'm trying to also understand the physical effects a 9mm vs 40 vs 45 will have with optional bullets (not fmj ball). I'm using brass Fetcher, any suggestions or personal resources?

Thank you,
    EDC - HK P30 9MM
    Door Greeter - SBE W/ 3.5" Nitro Steel +P+ customs
    Hunting - Pre 64 M70 in 300 win mag.
    SHTF - Classified.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    My choice in 9mm is the 115gr. +P+ Buffalo/Barnes offering. 1400fps and an all copper bullet with great expansion and penetration. At almost 2 bucks a pop I wont be burning a bunch of these for practice. Just enough to insure good functioning of my Kahr CM9.

Quote Originally Posted by Olkowsr View Post
    DC members,

How did you choose your ammunition?

Randomly? Research claims? Physical tests?

I'm trying to also understand the physical effects a 9mm vs 40 vs 45 will have with optional bullets (not fmj ball). I'm using brass Fetcher, any suggestions or personal resources?

Thank you,
    Cost and the F B I test protcals testing ( gel and denim )
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

IMHO, 124gr. JHP, such as Fed. HydroShok, Hornady Critical Defense, etc., will perform well for you. Good luck. Be Safe.
    Work for a cause, Not for applause. Live life to express, Not to impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, Just make your absence felt"

D.C. Members,

From your experiences what ammunition would you carry in an HK P30 with a 4" Barrel?

Currently I carry 135 +P critical duty and 124 +P Fmj in my spare magazine.

I do all my training with 115 fmj white box/ UMC bulk. (150 a month average).

Thank you for your time.
    Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by giz5792 View Post
    Anything that has the letters HST or words Gold Dot in its name. Standard pressure should work just fine, unless you want to try the +P. Underwood also makes some good stuff, but it is warm.
    Your P30 will appreciate a varied diet and will digest anything you wish to feed it. I do agree, however, that HST is a great way to go. I used Ranger T when it was still available, but have switched mostly to HST, or even Hydra-shok, whatever I can find.

I have not found any premium ammunition that will not feed in my P30S. As far as range use, I roll my own and have never had a malfunction with 115gr, 124gr, or even 147gr bullets.

With the P30 it's pretty much a matter of "if it fits, it shoots," so use anything you can get.

I will say, I have never fired lead bullets in my P30S, so I have no opinion on lead rounds.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

... what ammunition would you carry in an HK P30 with a 4" Barrel?

... 135 +P critical duty and 124 +P Fmj
    Dunno. Sent them both to me and I'll check 'em out. Nice rig, there.

My preference for a mid-sized (4" barreled) sidearm is: 124gr +P JHP and either standard 124gr or 124gr +P FMJ for training/range rounds. Have used this in a number of sidearms, from 3.8" to 5" barrel lengths. Works fairly well. Though, in shorter barrels it can (depending on the load formula) end up with a bit more blast than some alternatives.

My personal choices: DoubleTap 124gr +P JHP, or Winchester Ranger-T 127gr +P+ JHP ... plus, whatever 115gr or 124gr "range" round.

Sounds like a reasonable choice. If you're please with the published performance figures and your own tests for reliability in your specific gun, it should do you nicely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Dunno. Sent them both to me and I'll check 'em out. Nice rig, there.

My personal choices: ... Winchester Ranger-T 127gr +P+ JHP ...

Sounds like a reasonable choice. If you're please with the published performance figures and your own tests for reliability in your specific gun, it should do you nicely.
    Just a quickie - HK recommends you DO NOT USE +P+ in the P30. As a matter of fact, almost all, if not all, manufacturers recommend against the use of +P+ merely because there are no SAAMI specs for +P+, so +P+ pressures can vary from mfg to mfg.

Of course it's your gun, so you are certainly free to use whatever ammunition you prefer.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I dont carry 9 mm very often. When I feel the need for more capacity like trips to Miami I carry my CZ an load it with XTP 115 gr with 6.5 gr unique still packs a punch, an since I roll my own can practice with carry ammo without breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Just a quickie - HK recommends you DO NOT USE +P+ in the P30. As a matter of fact, almost all, if not all, manufacturers recommend against the use of +P+ merely because there are no SAAMI specs for +P+, so +P+ pressures can vary from mfg to mfg.

Of course it's your gun, so you are certainly free to use whatever ammunition you prefer.
    Good point. Thanks for the check.

Don't have a HK30, myself. Have used it in a few other sidearms, including a CZ P-01 9mm, Browning BDM 9mm, Glock 19 9mm.

So far as I can find, the SAAMI spec is 36,500 CUP for 9mm NATO, and 38,500 CPU for 9MM +P. According to the Winchester LE website, their 9mm JHP Ranger-T 127gr +P+ is 42,000 CUP (avg).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links