Snake shot

This is a discussion on Snake shot within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there was a thread on snake shot just a while back But I couldn't find it. So here's another. Its snake season here. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Snake shot

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Exact center of CA
    Posts
    1,653

    Snake shot

    I know there was a thread on snake shot just a while back But I couldn't find it. So here's another.
    Its snake season here. And they are out in force! So I made some up using 180 grains of #8 shot over 3.5 grains of Tite Group. I tested them at 7 and 12 feet and was very surprised at the even patterns. I did have two loads open up and spill their shot, So Ill be sealing the next batch with glue. Ill try and get some pics of the process of putting them together. DR
    StormRhydr likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    2,561
    Do you have any pics of your patterns? What caliber?

    I've killed dozens of copperheads with .38 CCI from a snub, but they're pricy, so I'm very interested in rolling my own. My interest has just been jacked up a bit - we've seen two coral snakes in the yard in the last week!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Flippin, AR
    Posts
    532
    LOL! I use the standard CCI shot shells in my NAA mini 22WMR when I go fishing. I don't reload for pistol cartridges, but I know how useful pistol caliber shot shells can be. Patterns are good to know, but sometimes I'd rather have a flame-thrower. Do the best you can with what you have. Snakes piss me off especially when they are coming at me!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,245
    I bought some of the Speer shot capsules and instead of using shot I cut music wire in lengths to fit the capsule. Instead of punching nice little holes in Mr. Snake those spinning pieces of wire work more like throwing him in a Quisinart, they just slice and dice and leave the snake in quite a mess.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    About 235M out of The Palouse WA
    Posts
    7,500
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    LOL! I use the standard CCI shot shells in my NAA mini 22WMR when I go fishing. I don't reload for pistol cartridges, but I know how useful pistol caliber shot shells can be. Patterns are good to know, but sometimes I'd rather have a flame-thrower. Do the best you can with what you have. Snakes piss me off especially when they are coming at me!


    DEPTH CHARGE those cheeky rascals!!!
    Navydude and Recon1342 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,397
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I know there was a thread on snake shot just a while back But I couldn't find it. So here's another.
    Its snake season here. And they are out in force! So I made some up using 180 grains of #8 shot over 3.5 grains of Tite Group. I tested them at 7 and 12 feet and was very surprised at the even patterns. I did have two loads open up and spill their shot, So Ill be sealing the next batch with glue. Ill try and get some pics of the process of putting them together. DR
    I load them all the time. How did they open up an spill the shot?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array Navydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Beckley, WV
    Posts
    662
    Damn. I love the way NONAME thinks.
    Recon1342 likes this.

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I bought some of the Speer shot capsules and instead of using shot I cut music wire in lengths to fit the capsule. Instead of punching nice little holes in Mr. Snake those spinning pieces of wire work more like throwing him in a Quisinart, they just slice and dice and leave the snake in quite a mess.
    That sounds nicely effective and evil. I like it.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Savage Heartland

    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    ...Patterns are good to know, but sometimes I'd rather have a flame-thrower. Do the best you can with what you have.
    It's pretty important to know how a shotshell patterns if you're going to use it to defend yourself.

    The problem with "doing the best I can with what I have" is that they're so dang expensive! I've upgraded from .38 to .44 since seeing the coral snakes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    ...Snakes piss me off especially when they are coming at me!
    Amen!

    I've had a couple of encounters with rattlesnakes, quite a few (including a couple REALLY close encounters) with cottonmouths, and more than I can count with copperheads. I'm not particularly afraid of snakes, but the coral snakes are a whole new ballgame; they can stand the hair up on the back of my neck.

    With the grandkids, pets, and poultry around, they are not allowed on the property!!!
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array bandrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Posts
    801
    We will be moving to Biloxi MS soon. I hate snakes and especially poisonous ones. None in Wisconsin. Soooo any body familiar as to how many "bad" snakes I will likely see in subdivisions around Gulfport/Biloxi. Would .22 CCI shot shells kill them nasty critters?
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

  12. #11
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,386
    Soooo any body familiar as to how many "bad" snakes I will likely see
    They're all bad. Just some will kill ya.

    I joke. Those that can kill me, die. Those that can't, don't.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    We will be moving to Biloxi MS soon. I hate snakes and especially poisonous ones. None in Wisconsin. Soooo any body familiar as to how many "bad" snakes I will likely see in subdivisions around Gulfport/Biloxi. Would .22 CCI shot shells kill them nasty critters?
    You will see copperheads. They are fairly timid, and not likely to bite unless you scare them or step on them. They do bite more people than any other venomous snake in the U.S. They won't kill you, but can inflict a NASTY, debilitating and/or disfiguring injury up to and including loss of a limb.

    If you're within a couple hundred yards of a pond or stream, you will see cottonmouths. They are more dangerous than copperheads, much bigger, and more aggressive. You could also encounter rattlesnakes or coral snakes, but they're much rarer.

    In my experience, a .22 is fine against a copperhead - my wife uses a 3" Rossi on them. You need a good head shot, though. I carry a .38 or .44 Special with shotshells. Never needed a 2nd shot with .38 or .44, but there have been a few times we've shot a 2nd time for insurance with the .22. Between the two of us, we've killed 60 or 70 of them.

    Against a big cottonmouth or rattler, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the .38. As I posted above, I'm using the .44 now that we're seeing coral snakes. They're not very big, and I'm sure a .22 would kill them in short order, but I want the extra horsepower of the .44 just 'cause they're so dang dangerous! They are VERY timid, though, and will "run" as soon as they see you. My wife has lived in S. Louisiana her whole life, and I've been here 25 years, and neither of us had ever seen one until this week, when we've seen two!

    DO NOT think you have to go out and buy some silly-azz .410 revolver or derringer for snakes. They're gross overkill for any snake in the U.S., and a total waste of money.
    bandrich likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  14. #13
    74
    74 is offline
    Member Array 74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hermit's Peak
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    In my experience, a .22 is fine against a copperhead - my wife uses a 3" Rossi on them. You need a good head shot, though. I carry a .38 or .44 Special with shotshells. Never needed a 2nd shot with .38 or .44, but there have been a few times we've shot a 2nd time for insurance with the .22. Between the two of us, we've killed 60 or 70 of them.
    Can you give us an idea of approximate distances you have used these rounds from?

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    You will see copperheads. They are fairly timid, and not likely to bite unless you scare them or step on them. They do bite more people than any other venomous snake in the U.S. They won't kill you, but can inflict a NASTY, debilitating and/or disfiguring injury up to and including loss of a limb.
    BTDT This was the result of being bitten by a huge 10-inch long copperhead. It took two months to completely heal.

    IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0941.JPG
    Hopyard and 5lima30ret like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Exact center of CA
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I load them all the time. How did they open up an spill the shot?
    The over shot wad was just held in place by a roll crimp, recoil seems to have opened them. I tested two batches one glued closed and one held in with a crimp. both patterned well. All of them had enough recoil that primer setback was not an issue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

shooting snakes
,

swollen shotshells

Click on a term to search for related topics.