Multipurpose Ammo For All Threats?

This is a discussion on Multipurpose Ammo For All Threats? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What type of ammo would you carry if your threat matrix ranged from 150 lb methheads to 1000 lb moose? In a typical day, I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Multipurpose Ammo For All Threats?

What type of ammo would you carry if your threat matrix ranged from 150 lb methheads to 1000 lb moose? In a typical day, I could legimately face hostile humans, feral/aggressive dogs, coyotes, mountain lions, black bear, and now moose. One is not really more likely than the other. I tend to be gravitating towards factory loads like the Speer Lawman 158 gr FMJ +P in .38 Special, 158 gr XTP/JSP in .357 Mag, 230 gr FMJ in .45 ACP, 240 LSWC in .44 Special and 225/250 gr JSP/XTP/LSWC in .45 Colt. What do you folks think?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

uh a pulse rifle?

i would carry a 10mm glock one mag with sliver tips the other max loaded hard cast hunting rounds ...that or a 454
    TDH1961, Eric357 and GhostMaker like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

It would be just my luck to come home from work armed only with a .32 pocket pistol and run into a stupid bear upset that he cant get into my trashcans.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    It would be just my luck to come home from work armed only with a .32 pocket pistol and run into a stupid bear upset that he cant get into my trashcans.

Well someone did kill a bear with a 22lr one time ..

Really if you carry a 32 get the right ammo you can.. I carry them a lot .. The ammo I carry will breach soft armor at close range and car doors .. Bear probley not .. Most anything short of that oh yeah ..

But really if you think you will be facing down a bear a 10mm or somthing hotter then that might be a good choice .. A 29sf ?
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    .30-30?

I don't think it much matters what kind of pistol you have for bear and moose. At that point, they are a noise maker to scare them away.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

heck, i just alternate loads in my mags to cover anything that might come up from day to day:

few 147gr HSTs for BGs up front, snakeshot for reptiles or the occasional rabid squirrel, maybe a couple bonded +P rounds for auto glass, couple Doubletap 147gr+P Flatnose for bigger animals, throw in a couple FMJs for good penetrating measure, thumb in a few more HSTs/snake/bonded and you just about got all the multipurpose ammo you can get in one magazine without having to empty and refill. load up the others like that and you got it.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Since you include bear and moose, I would have a minimum of a 357 mag, but a 44 mag would be much better. It's kind of hard to have a full spectrum handgun. There really is no such thing. As far as the ammo, Gold Dot, HST, PDX1 has proven penetration, and expansion. Alternating rounds may prove interesting in a court of law after you shot a meth head. Some crackerjack lawyer could possibly turn that against you somehow. That's just a guess as I've never been in that situation. Food for thought.
    TSKnight and WebleyHunter like this.

I think the phrase bigger is better applies here. However, I live in an urban environment so take this with a grain of salt.
    Walther PPS 9mm
    MDJ IWB holster // Cooks AIWB holster
    Nelson IWB spare mag (www.nelsonholsters.com) *DC Sponsor*
    Filson belt (www.filson.com)
    SOG Twitch2

What type of ammo would you carry if your threat matrix ranged from 150 lb methheads to 1000 lb moose?
    At some point, one has to decide that probabilities matter. I figure that in AZ you're not that likely to encounter a raging moose, so ...

My own preference is for a sidearm that'll deal with a violent 2- or 4-legged predator that I'm likely to meet, with a round that'll likely penetrate and expand sufficiently to get the job done. I'm willing to forgo some ability against large mountain lions, raging moose, grizzlies, and the "Big Five" from Africa. But that's just me. And so, my choices tend to be the most-penetrating JHP rounds in the caliber I'm carrying, knowing there's some added risk of so-called "over-penetration" to bystanders (beyond walls). Works for me.
    WebleyHunter likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Find a good, hot, hard cast for the .357, unless you want to step up to rifle calibers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

TVJ
    Carry the big can of Bear Spray for the animals on a left thigh holster and 357SIG or 10MM on the right for the rest. Learn to deploy both at the same time and engage sequentially if necessary. Carry an extra two mags. Use name brand hollowpoints like DPX or whatever.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Did you leave out elk? Sounds like you are going cowboy or sheriff's department? I like the idea of a large pepper spray for the four legged critters, particularly the big ones. But assuming you might need to shoot something that size, the .45 Colt in a SWC. You can always shoot Schofields for practice. You might resurrect the practice of a second gun in a crossdraw holster, perhaps a small 9mm.

If you are a civilian, forget the Mitty and keep a lever carbine in the truck.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    For the purposes you stated Id be most comfortable shooting a 45 colt with a 255 grain lead bullet. It wasn't a choice but Id also be comfortable with 44 mag. These have a proven track record on Coons, Dogs, Deer, Hogs, Bear, and yes Moose! A good stout Ruger in a good stout caliber is as good as you will find for a what ever comes at me gun! DR
    bmcgilvray likes this.

My thought would be to pack two guns with different loadings.
    hdhnict, BamaT and nightsonge like this.

What type of ammo would you carry if your threat matrix ranged from 150 lb methheads to 1000 lb moose? In a typical day, I could legimately face hostile humans, feral/aggressive dogs, coyotes, mountain lions, black bear, and now moose. One is not really more likely than the other. I tend to be gravitating towards factory loads like the Speer Lawman 158 gr FMJ +P in .38 Special, 158 gr XTP/JSP in .357 Mag, 230 gr FMJ in .45 ACP, 240 LSWC in .44 Special and 225/250 gr JSP/XTP/LSWC in .45 Colt. What do you folks think?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links