What 308/x51 to get

What 308/x51 to get

This is a discussion on What 308/x51 to get within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am now near a 100 % sure I am going to be getting a ptr91 soon ... Just talked to them about the one ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By Rob99VMI04
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By Bigsteve113

Thread: What 308/x51 to get

What 308/x51 to get

I am now near a 100 % sure I am going to be getting a ptr91 soon ... Just talked to them about the one I wanted the special edition one .. they said any ammo mil or commercial should be good ..

So right now looking at either Hirtenberg x51 from 83 and or new made Litiutahain ammo .. And maybe 308 Fiochech ( sp ) .. Any other suggestion ? And what would be a nice soft point or HP round for hunting or more likely in my case HD etc ( not that I would use a 308 battle rifle for HD but if it came to it ..)

I am getting exicted about this .. Got me a buuuunch of mil and commerical made mags even a 40 rounder to break it in with just need the ammo

thanks !
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    You are getting a seriously Kick A _ _ rifle.

Anything off the shelf 308 soft point 150-165 grain will knock the crap out of anything from coyotes to elk.
    OldVet and WrongRecroom like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Do you reload?
    I bought 1000 rnds of Portuguese ammo before the ammo fallout and love it. It shoots great out of my STG58 or my M1A... but it can't be reloaded (easily). I ended up buying 500 rnds of Federal for when I want to start reloading that caliber. Looking back it seems like a waste getting the surplus ammo. But I don't need to pick up my brass either, so maybe it's a wash.

The .308 is a cartridge that really rewards the enthusiastic handloader. A lot may be done with the .308 and medium burning powders and medium weight bullets. My M1A mostly feeds off of handloads as the cost of any factory ammunition puts too much of a crimp in shooting.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The only problem with the PTR's is the fluted chamber and the fact that is ejects the forward and into the next county.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Portuguese if it is still out there,

I reload all my .308 with Sierra or Hornady 168 grain with Varget. Mostly Win or LC brass.
    Make sure to post some pictures of that new rifle
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Thanks all .. I save brass but dont reload ( dont have the space/time to get a good setup) ..
    I am thinking about buying a couple dif brands and boxs and see what she likes .. I have spied some new Lithuanian 308 nato I am thinking about

And I am thinking this one as a big send off to CT ptr_915800.jpg ptr_915800_d.jpg ptr_915800_b.jpg

Just about to order a bayo lug and g3 bayo to make it really evil
    Attached Images
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

wow. that sure is Purdy.

Have you ever shot a roller-lock before? .308 isn't exactly a recoil monster, but rollers usually have the hardest felt recoil. (it's always subjective though isn't it?) ...and they just feel so weird, the guy here who has a CETME... it's cool, and I've almost bought it about a jillion times, but then everrytime I shoot it I just.... and I already have a FN/FAL so.... but cool gun, quality, for sure.

but if you haven't shot a roller-lock before expect it to be...different.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    wow. that sure is Purdy.

Have you ever shot a roller-lock before? .308 isn't exactly a recoil monster, but rollers usually have the hardest felt recoil. (it's always subjective though isn't it?) ...and they just feel so weird, the guy here who has a CETME... it's cool, and I've almost bought it about a jillion times, but then everrytime I shoot it I just.... and I already have a FN/FAL so.... but cool gun, quality, for sure.

but if you haven't shot a roller-lock before expect it to be...different.

Cool thanks .. Yeah it sure is nice .. It is there special we moved to SC version .. Has the SC flag on it and special serial numbers ..

I have only shoot 9mm rollers (and silenced at that ) so this should be fun ...

I was tempted to get a DSA FAL or save up for a gun south pre 89 Belgin but the mags price is on thouse have gone up a lot .. Guess I will find out .... To be honset the lure of 2-4 buck a pop 20 round factor mags kind of drew me in

I am told this the 91f version and after talking to them .. Found out it should fire most any mil or comerical x51 or 308 ammo and any normal 18 inch g3 or hk91 stuff should fit it ... Plus if they only make 500 o these it could be a nice keepsake
    DingBat likes this.

I mostly shoot PMC, PPU (Prvi), and CBC/MagTech in my FNAR. All three are (relatively) cheap brands that perform well for 'plinking'. There's cheaper stuff out there, but it's mostly steel case and I don't, as a rule, generally use steel-case ammo.

I've never hunted with 7.62, and I don't do a lot of real precision target shooting, so I can't really comment on terminal ballistics or accuracy. It's all FMJ Ball. As far as HD is concerned, I guarantee that no one wants to be on the receiving end of even a wimpy, underperforming 7.62x51!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    My PTR 91 GI feeds any old junk I put in it. And yes, I do reload the brass afterwards without a problem. Recoil is not bad at all, nothing like my .308 bolt actions. My favorite round for it is a 150 gr Hornady SST over 43 gr of Benchmark. It really stacks those into a tight group, but it does fine with almost anything. And it loves cheap steal junk!
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Sponsored Links