Review of CorBon DPX

Review of CorBon DPX

This is a discussion on Review of CorBon DPX within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is an extended discussion of CorBon DPX +P and +P+. As an example, I tested CORBON 9mm +P with the 115-grain JHP that runs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Review of CorBon DPX

Review of CorBon DPX

Here is an extended discussion of CorBon DPX +P and +P+.

As an example, I tested CORBON 9mm +P with the 115-grain JHP that runs about 1300 fps in my M&P 9mm, fast enough for excellent performance.
    One of the more painful things you can do in this life is run a box of CorBon through your carry weapon. Available in most calibers, this is darn expensive stuff to shoot. But if you're going to carry it (as I do), you want a feel for the recoil and know how it shoots. Compared to standard American, Federal, or WWB target ammo, the CorBon tends to place a bit high and to the left for me. So I aim with it accordingly.

Do your own Google searches, you'll see the rounds consistently expand the way you would want JHPs to perform:

Buffalo Bore, Federal Hydra-Shok, many good options out there. If you buy quality defense ammo you're doing it right. Not saying the CorBon is the best of them all, but it should be in your top 5 when you're making a buying decision.
    TVJ and gatorbait51 like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I like & use Gold Dots 124gr +p ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Gold Dots and HST's here.

I haven't given much thought to other options because these brands work so well.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Carry a good personal defensive round that expands well and it all come down to the guy holding the gun.

Most all rounds will do the job if you do yours. There's been many die from nothing more than hard ball. It all comes to placement of the rounds you fire.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

You can buy the most expensive SD ammo on the market, but if you can't hit anything/anyone with it, you're better off throwing rocks at your attacker.

Gold Dots, PDX1, HST, Buffalo Bore, DPX, Underwood...it's all good stuff, and it depends upon what you feel is best and what you want to pay for your ammunition. All I know is that I am NOT putting 200rds of my chosen defensive ammunition through my semi-auto. As much as it may be recommended, I just can't see shelling out that much money. A box or two will suffice.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

With my EDC, a 9mm, one box of 100 rounds of target ammo is about $35. That's the cost of 20 rounds of CorBon, so figure about $70 worth of ammo to ensure the semi-auto runs well. With a revolver, you don't have to shoot that much.

The main thing is that target ammo and SD cartridges perform differently and you want to understand that difference.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    My personal choice is the Buffalo/Barnes. It isn't the softest shooting ammo I have ever tried in my little Kahr CM9,but it works VERY well.
    KoB likes this.

TVJ
    Barnes Bullet loaded by Corbon is DPX; Reviewed here: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

If you take all of these criteria into account, the lists should come as no surprise. Please note that all of the recommended pistol loads listed below have been personally tested and vetted by Dr. Roberts. THEY ARE NOT IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE, SO ANY BULLET ON THE LIST IS CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE.

9mm

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Love the CorBon DPX in my glock 36. Perfect.

Distinguished Member
    Barnes and speer gold dot are my edc loads = every day. I mix them up in my 29 and 26. When practicing fast draw and firing 2to the center mass and one to the head I don't even notice the difference from my cheap range cartridges. I figure with the adrenalin rush the difference will be even less in a true threat situation.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I carry DPX in my Glocks. Expensive? Yes, but what is your life or a family member's life worth? I like the peace of mind of knowing that the bullet will not fragment, the jacket will not separate, and that it will retain nearly 100% of it's weight and will more than likely not exit the target if you hit it.
    I have used it once, and it worked exactly as promised - one shot, one nearly instant stop and no over-penetration. (no - not a person, a very large Pit Bull)

my 3" charter bulldog likes the 200gr 44 spl DPX...it is all I carry (Cor-Bon)...Don't shoot it much, don't buy it much eather, but it is in every pistol we own...Was a complete mistake that we have it at all...the wife picked some up in Montana for every caliber we own....she was there on a conference thing and all the local Montana gun stores had ammo..none of Washington local gun shops had any, it was right after Obama took office ver 1...I was amazed at the price but happy to have it, then I shot some and was very pleased that the old Bulldog could finally shoot the O in the COKE can....I like that it tests best through glass/hollow/wood sheetmetal...

Distinguished Member
    I use 9mm DPX in my Sig P938 and .380 in my P238. I do not find them painful but pain is very subjective and gun dependent. After a long time of contact sports, even the recoil of a .454 Casull is not as bad as some hits I took playing football. I find that the right grips help a lot in taming recoil that stings. On my guns that I use DPX in, I have Hogue rubber grips that cushion the recoil very well and have nothing on them to rub my hand raw. I had the problem of .357 magnum ammo taking off skin from my hand in my 11 oz. Scandium J-Frame. A new set of rubber CT laser grips with a shock absorbing thingamabob at the web of my hand, tamed those suckers down right away.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I use 9mm DPX in my Sig P938 and .380 in my P238. I do not find them painful but pain is very subjective and gun dependent. After a long time of contact sports, even the recoil of a .454 Casull is not as bad as some hits I took playing football. I find that the right grips help a lot in taming recoil that stings. On my guns that I use DPX in, I have Hogue rubber grips that cushion the recoil very well and have nothing on them to rub my hand raw. I had the problem of .357 magnum ammo taking off skin from my hand in my 11 oz. Scandium J-Frame. A new set of rubber CT laser grips with a shock absorbing thingamabob at the web of my hand, tamed those suckers down right away.
    I think the OP meant painful in the wallet, not the hand..

I like Cor Bon, but I like my carry ammo to hit exactly where I aim. In a fight, I doubt I would remember to hold low left, low right, high left, whatever.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links