Want to kill a whale? Or maybe just a deer? I have a slug for you! The Dupo28

Want to kill a whale? Or maybe just a deer? I have a slug for you! The Dupo28

This is a discussion on Want to kill a whale? Or maybe just a deer? I have a slug for you! The Dupo28 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're like me you probably think there is no reason to change the design of the standard shotgun slug. It's cheap, effective, and accurate. ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By 1 old 0311
  • 1 Post By Glock2201
  • 1 Post By usmc9688
  • 1 Post By Cuda66

Thread: Want to kill a whale? Or maybe just a deer? I have a slug for you! The Dupo28

Cool Want to kill a whale? Or maybe just a deer? I have a slug for you! The Dupo28

If you're like me you probably think there is no reason to change the design of the standard shotgun slug. It's cheap, effective, and accurate. Recently I've been testing some of the more specialized shotgun slugs designed by a Latvian company called DDupleks. Surprisingly these slugs have been kicking some serious butt, and have real world applications.

What's so great about the Dupo 28?

According to DDupleks, the Dupo 28 has a few advantages over a standard slug. "The most effective" advantage is the rounds ability to create a "hydrodynamic shock wave that destroys vital organs" (DDupleks' Website). This sounds like effective stuff, but what's really interesting is how the slug performs in different tissues.

According to DDupleks the Dupo 28 is capable of performing like a hollow point slug, or a fragmenting slug, depending on where you hit the animal. Apparently if the animal is struck in the frontal area where all of the softer tissue is located, it will expand like a hollow point. This causes damage to organs and kills the animal without destroying a lot of the meat. If you pull the shot and hit the animal in the rear where all of the dense muscle tissue is located, the Dupo 28 will fragment, much like the Hexolit32, and create a cone of damage that kills the animal quickly. This ensures that the animal is brought down as fast as possible, although it will damage more meat. Now this isn't the first time we've been promised amazing capabilities. Anyone remember that G2 RIP stuff?

Setup

Like usual we shot our slug out of the Remington 870. We fired the slug from roughly 15 feet through an F1 Chrony chronograph to measure its velocity. For this test we used two blocks of synthetic ballistic gelatin in hopes of capturing the slug. These blocks are calibrated to simulate something close to muscle tissue, so I expect the slug to perform as a fragmenting projectile.

Results

The Dupo 28 left the muzzle traveling 1480 feet per second. Our shot was dead center on the first block. The Dupo caused an impressive temporary cavity. For the first time in any of our tests the projectile caused the gelatin to expand towards the shooter. I was skeptical of the "hydrodynamic shock wave", but all doubts were dropped when I saw the high speed. A clear wave of destruction can be seen pushing through the block in a matter of thousands of a second.

Upon entering the block the Dupo 28 began fragmenting. I believe this was caused by the high density of our gel which is calibrated to simulate muscle tissue. The six steel petals of the Dupo 28 flowered into the gel creating a cone of destruction six inches in diameter. Each petal penetrated until the six inch mark. At this point the petals sliced their way out of the gelatin, flying across the range with a velocity of ~50 feet per second.

The main slug continued on through the gelatin creating a maximum cavity of 1.25 inches. Unlike the Hexolit 32, the Dupo's permanent cavity did not taper off as violently. The slug penetrated through both blocks for a total penetration of 32 inches. The base of the slug was found in tact two feet away from the table.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Looks like a peach of a deer load!

Ex Member
    I do have a deer stand BUT must admit I do NOT have a WHALE STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I do have a deer stand BUT must admit I do NOT have a WHALE STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Looks like you're gunna have quite the summer project ;)

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc9688 View Post
    Looks like you're gunna have quite the summer project ;)

Kill a whale?
    uhh, nooo Not today.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    First step is to find a tree in the ocean.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    First step is to find a tree in the ocean.
    I've been throwing seeds in the ocean for years. Still no luck :/
    ANGLICO likes this.

I can go hunting for Grizzly with those sucker.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    I can go hunting for Grizzly with those sucker.
    I think it's one of the selling points of the round. You're out hunting deer and get attacked by a bear. Why not have something that will have no trouble taking that thing down?

Quote Originally Posted by usmc9688 View Post
    I think it's one of the selling points of the round. You're out hunting deer and get attacked by a bear. Why not have something that will have no trouble taking that thing down?
    Riiight.

Because a regular 12ga slug will just bounce off a bear...

Hate to break it to you, but plain old Foster and rifled slugs have taken plenty of bears down, and do it very well. If you feel better with your magic fragmenting slug, good for you...but it ain't gonna do a better job.
    Eric357 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    One of the guys we hunt with used DDuplex slugs a couple years back. Takes a Russian to make a steel slug that works very well.

Don't think there for sale anymore here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Riiight.

Because a regular 12ga slug will just bounce off a bear...

Hate to break it to you, but plain old Foster and rifled slugs have taken plenty of bears down, and do it very well. If you feel better with your magic fragmenting slug, good for you...but it ain't gonna do a better job.
    I don't understand what makes the slug magical? Foster slugs would be fine for taking a bear, but I would prefer these for a few reasons. From the tests I've conducted and seen fragmenting shotgun slugs have an easier time transferring energy into the target. This particular design doesn't seem to forfeit any penetration as well. It also reacts differently in various tissues (I have yet to confirm this with testing, but I have seen other tests that show this). I like that ability. Standard slugs are great, and I'm not trying to downplay them or up sell this particular slug.

If I was deer hunting and a Grizz came upon me

I'd STILL want my M79 40mm.....

or some Dynamite!!!!
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    If I was deer hunting and a Grizz came upon me

I'd STILL want my M79 40mm.....

or some Dynamite!!!!
    I'd become a "Tree Hugger"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links