Finally! 38 Special +P 158 grain lead HP

This is a discussion on Finally! 38 Special +P 158 grain lead HP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've looked forever for 38 Special +P 158 grain lead HP. None of the LGS around me have had it in stock, and I guess ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By BamaT
  • 1 Post By sideKahr
  • 3 Post By Phaedrus
  • 1 Post By WebleyHunter
  • 1 Post By ironhead7544
  • 3 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Finally! 38 Special +P 158 grain lead HP

I've looked forever for 38 Special +P 158 grain lead HP. None of the LGS around me have had it in stock, and I guess I've just had bad timing looking online, as I can't ever seem to find it anywhere. Couldn't sleep last night, finally got up, got the iPad out, looked at SGAmmo, and lo and behold there it was! Six boxes on the way! Just checked, they've still got some, if anyone else is looking for this. It's the Remington HTP version.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Excellent! I think Winchester also offers something in Super X, although I could be mistaken....

Good luck, and stay safe!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Buffalo Bore carries it also. Expensive, though.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108
    BamaT likes this.
    It isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Buffalo Bore carries it also. Expensive, though.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108
    Yeah, but I'm getting 50 Remington for just barely more than 20 of the Buffalo Bore! I really was just about to pull the trigger on some BB when I finally found the Remington.
    NRA Life Member

Last I scored was a 100-round box of Federal 158gr LRN - which means harder cleaning but I've found the 158gr to be POA in my .38s.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Check with Georgia Arms. 158gr.+P SWCHP 900 fps.
    Vietnam Veteran

Federal makes the 38G. It's a 158 gr +P SWCHP, but they're hard to find. We carried 38 Spl 158 gr +P JHP's ( Speer and Winchester ) while on patrol. We also had Federal 158 gr +P Nyclad HP's. I think those rounds went the way of the Dodo? I'm not sure if anybody is making a 158 gr +P JHP any more? I'm not a fan of Buffalo Bore. The best I can find is the Spear 130 gr +P JHP. ---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

SGAmmo is my main go-to online vendor for ammo. Good folks, good service, good prices and fair shipping.
    StormRhydr, BamaT and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Historically, this load has been considered rather "warm" compared to the Fed and Win FBI equivalents.

I chronographed some nominal 2007 production Rem Express 158 gr LSWC-HP +P and some nominal 1977 production Rem Express 158 LRN +P and got a rough average of 995 fps for both from a 1941 6" Colt Official Police.

Recent reports may indicate that Rem may have download the current HTP production, but it could be just an odd lot. Hopefully, that's the case.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I have some of the recent stuff bought at a local gunstore about 30 days ago. My chromo showed about 875 from a 4" barrel. Hope this is helpful.

That is what I carry in my Airweight snubby. I believe that is what was once referred to as the FBI load.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Last I scored was a 100-round box of Federal 158gr LRN - which means harder cleaning but I've found the 158gr to be POA in my .38s.
    If you are getting leading, it can it removed easily. Get some Chore Boy all copper scouring pads. Cut some material off and wrap it around a bore brush for a tight fit in the bore. Works wonders. Also removes plastic from shotgun barrels.

Handloading is the best way to insure an ammo supply. I still use factory for carry.
    BamaT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerOne View Post
    Check with Georgia Arms. 158gr.+P SWCHP 900 fps.
    Thanks. I have checked with them and Underwood, and it seems that both are always out of stock of the lead 158 grain +P HP.
    NRA Life Member

For those that wish to approximate factory velocities of the typical "Fedingchester" +P 158 grain loads with their own handloads, 5.1 grains of Unique and a standard small pistol primer will get you there. Buffalo Bore's +P 158 grain load may also be duplicated using either 2400 or SR 4756, even using published data, but it's older data that's now "off the charts." The older data still achieves the desired effect though. Makes the .38 "thump" good 'n hard!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links