Low recoil .38sp for training

This is a discussion on Low recoil .38sp for training within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife's new Ruger LCR .38sp is shipped and on the way. She has fired her friends S&W airweight before, I don't know with what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Low recoil .38sp for training

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar

Low recoil .38sp for training

My wife's new Ruger LCR .38sp is shipped and on the way. She has fired her friends S&W airweight before, I don't know with what load, and did not like it. I am hoping that the Houge tamer grip and polymer frame will make a difference on the LCR. Still I would like to find some Low recoil .38sp ammo for her to train on. I did buy a box of those Pink tipped 90GR bullets form Hornady, but at $0.96 per round they are too expensive to train with.

Any suggestions?
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Wadcutters. They feel like a .22 out of my airweight. Right around the same price as .38 fmj. Not the most accurate things in the world but they are great for training. Sometimes they tumble so bad they put a 2" long hole in the paper

VIP Member
    Start rolling your own. Either that or find a friend that reloads and offer to help them do up a batch.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Yup, wadcutters!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Any particular brand or weight of Wadcutters? What about cowboy loads?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    Any particular brand or weight of Wadcutters? What about cowboy loads?
    I don't think it matters that much, whatever is on sale and lots of 'em!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Wadcutters are what many people use to train, however, what happens if your wife ever had to shoot the small, lightweight handgun with spiffier ammunition ? Actually, I think wadcutters can be a decent defensive bullet at close range.

BUT, my main question is if she did not care for the Airweight, how is she going to find the Ruger manageable ?
    Last edited by USM1976; June 6th, 2014 at 06:45 PM.
    NickBurkhardt and Ianthin like this.

Does bullet weight effect recoil with wadcutters? Do I have to clean the barrel every few rounds due to leading?

VIP Member
    I shot PPC for years using 148gr lead bullets.

A full circuit of PPC is 150 rounds.

Leading is not a serious issue until shooting one heck of a lot more rounds than that.

You may want to scrub the cylinder just to aid in loading and unloading.
    NickBurkhardt likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    Wadcutters are what many people use to train, however, what happens if your wife ever had to shoot the small, lightweight handgun with spiffier ammunition ? Actually, I think wadcutters can be a decent defensive bullet at close range.

BUT, my main question is if she did not care for the Airwieght, how is she going to find the Ruger manageable ?
    The S&W she shot had a hard Crimson Trace grip and may have been loaded with +p defensive rounds. She dryfired the LCR in store and really likes the comfortable grip and way it points. The goal is to ease her into shooting instead of scaring her off.

I got my wife the LCR 38 +P and she shot it one time and gave me a dirty look. It does kick so to speak and she did not like it. The only thing she likes about it now is the pink grips. Haven't tried wadcutters in it so I can't say on that.

On the brighter side I think I have a new BUG. pink grips are going to go thou
    ETXhiker likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    The S&W she shot had a hard Crimson Trace grip and may have been loaded with +p defensive rounds. She dryfired the LCR in store and really likes the comfortable grip and way it points. The goal is to ease her into shooting instead of scaring her off.
    I wouldn't pick a firearm just because of the grips. Grips can be changed. One of my carry pieces is a J Frame with a set of Houge grips, night and day different from the stock grips.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post

BUT, my main question is if she did not care for the Airwieght, how is she going to find the Ruger manageable ?
    Generally, seems like recoil is most troublesome when shooting higher numbers of rounds than in a self-defense situation (due to cumulative pain and tiredness in hands). In a critical situation, under the stress of stress hormone dump, pain and fatigue will not be so noticeable, if at all. As long as the shooter can control the gun adequately for a few rounds in practice, that may be sufficient for SD. It will get better with practice.

To me, the LCR is more controllable than the typical air-weight j-frame, with the same ammo. 'Course, your mileage may vary. (Ammo and grips make a tremendous difference, of course.) Wife has the same impression I do, preferring the LCR to the Airweight J. She has the .38, but the .357 model -- with the same .38 ammo -- is easier to handle.

It was the whole package. The better LCR trigger, hammerless design, grips, green hi-viz front sight and lightweight all for $359 shipped. Also, I have read that the polycarbonate frame of the LCR helps absorb recoil better. Here's hoping.

VIP Member
    Do a search on 'cowboy loads'. They're loaded lighter for cowboy action shooting.
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links