Ranger +P+ in a 92FS?

This is a discussion on Ranger +P+ in a 92FS? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty in my 92FS. Found some Ranger T 127gr +P+ and was thinking about trying a couple of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ranger +P+ in a 92FS?

Ranger +P+ in a 92FS?

I currently carry Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty in my 92FS. Found some Ranger T 127gr +P+ and was thinking about trying a couple of boxes. As far as function and wear, should I be concerned? This is primarily a HD gun, but gets carry duty on weekends.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Have tried the ranger 127s in the 92 no problems. This makes me want carry the beretta tomorrow.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Just remember there is no industry standard detailing specifications for +P+ ammunition. +P is as high as SAAMI goes for pressures in manufactured ammunition. Your only truly correct action for is ask the manufacturer if the specific model and serial number series can handle that specific +P+ round.

What you stand to gain with going to the +P+ over the +P is most likely going to be negligible and not really worth the extra wear and tear.
    Ianthin, wmhawth, sensei2 and 2 others like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I think the gun should take it .. But as others said +P is as hight as rated load so +P+ could be anything .. And I own some of that .. But I think you could fire some and check it out see how it looks ...

I am pretty sure that is one +P+ that is not too bad .. I have some +P+ stuff I would never fire in any handgun but I dont think Ranger is one
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I don't use +P+ in anything.

You're not only overstressing the gun with the overpressure, but you're potentially running outside the pressure curve that the gun's action is designed for, making a malfunction more likely. Not to mention voiding the gun's warranty.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I would use it for carry if it works OK. Practice with the standard stuff. I heard that police depts. were replacing their pistols after 2500 rounds of +P+. I know I could never afford to wear one out.

the gun should take it with out any problems. you will not shoot enough of the +p+ ammo to wear it out.
    BamaT likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have run 500 or so rounds thru one of my G-19's, including one session of 200 +P in the morning and 250 +P+ Ranger T in the afternoon of a gunfighting course I took more than a year ago. This is my carry ammo with another 1800 rounds in storage. I have not had any issues and inspected for overpressure signs, none found and every round has gone bang.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

If you feel you really require +P they won't bother the 92FS

VIP Member
    Just buy a pistol chambered in .357sig.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just buy a .44 Magnum and get over it.
    Ianthin likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What's that saying? I think it's "you're not a SEAL until you eat Italian steel."

My understanding is that hot rounds have a history of blowing the slide off the back of a 92 and into the user's face. I believe there was a correction to the design to prevent this, but I'm not sure what models or vintage it applies to.

Here's an article on the subject.

The Gun Zone -- The M9 Slide Failures
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

This problem was corrected a long time ago and any 92FS is fine.

VIP Member
    I have run a bunch through a couple of G 19's....never had a problem...my 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Just buy a .44 Magnum and get over it.
    Trust me, big boom wheel guns are the next frontier of guns for me. I like hand cannons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links