Penetration Power of the lswc from a snub

This is a discussion on Penetration Power of the lswc from a snub within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm posting this for those of you who have made the snub nose revolver a carry option. Now, this video shows a factory lswc hollow ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Penetration Power of the lswc from a snub

Penetration Power of the lswc from a snub

I'm posting this for those of you who have made the snub nose revolver a carry option.
    Now, this video shows a factory lswc hollow point, but I use a solid lswc design, and this video clearly shows my reasoning.
    It also demonstrates the penetrating qualities of the 38 lswc 158 weight bullet, and why I like to handload, so that I can have better control of this penetration.
    But it really shows just how effect this combination can be in the place of a magnum where penetration is the most desired trait, for woods carry, or protection from different unknowns in wide open places.

I'll take consistent penetration and wounding characteristics over the latest greatest HP design that may or may not work every time.
    Enjoy the video, feel free to comment and debate.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Excellent, I use the full wad cutter from Buffalo Bore in the 38 5 shooter myself. Good enough for Elmer where penetration is concerned on hard to kill game animals, good enough for me on two legged critters.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I would be interested in what a standard 158 gr lswc would do. I wonder if it would be the same or different. Interesting video.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Work for a cause, Not for applause. Live life to express, Not to impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, Just make your absence felt"

My load of choice if I were to carry a snubby 38.
    msgt/ret and GhostMaker like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Great choice, if you do your job and hit center mass its going to hit some bones causing bone shrapnel an creating havoc I like it. image.jpg the other day someone asked what to do against a fat guy with a knife, well here you go

Just the other day I upgraded my ammo in my wifes .357 snubby. I had some cheap 38 special jhp, but saw the Winchester pdx1 38 special +p. Saw some mixed reviews after the fact. But it's an upgrade non the less. I hear good things about those wad cutters.
    That you may retain your self-respect-it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong.
    -- William J.H. Boetcker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'm posting this for those of you who have made the snub nose revolver a carry option.
    Now, this video shows a factory lswc hollow point, but I use a solid lswc design, and this video clearly shows my reasoning.
    It also demonstrates the penetrating qualities of the 38 lswc 158 weight bullet, and why I like to handload, so that I can have better control of this penetration.
    But it really shows just how effect this combination can be in the place of a magnum where penetration is the most desired trait, for woods carry, or protection from different unknowns in wide open places.

I'll take consistent penetration and wounding characteristics over the latest greatest HP design that may or may not work every time.
    Enjoy the video, feel free to comment and debate.
    I like it, too bad all my .38 Specials and #1's are non +p guns. I've always liked wad cutters though ..
    GhostMaker likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The LSWC is a proven bullet for penetration and wound channel. I intend to work up some hunting loads for my .44 magnum using LSWC's.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Good video! Newer isn't always better.

I too would like to see the same test with a standard pressure round; and then again with the 148 gr HBWC.
    GWarden and gatorbait51 like this.

I don't think the difference would that great for standard loadings. Usually +p only gets 50-80 fps more over standard, and that's with a 4 inch barrel.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I don't think the difference would that great for standard loadings. Usually +p only gets 50-80 fps more over standard, and that's with a 4 inch barrel.
    Thanks GM, I thought not. .Now to find #1 her 158 gr wadcutters. S&W told me flat out to avoid +p in a Model 12 and her Model 36 is so old it too is non +p rated.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Thanks GM, I thought not. .Now to find #1 her 158 gr wadcutters. S&W told me flat out to avoid +p in a Model 12 and her Model 36 is so old it too is non +p rated.
    As well as those penetrate, I may down load mine for defensive uses. 24 in he's of jello and 2 water jugs is great, but not needed. I think a standard 158 load out of a snub clocking 700 fps with that bullet would be very nice.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I would prefer an expanding bullet and somewhat less penetration---bigger hole and not to worry about hitting someone in the next room.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    I would prefer an expanding bullet and somewhat less penetration---bigger hole and not to worry about hitting someone in the next room.
    You are in luck!!! Every Tom, Dick, and Harry makes the very best one.

VIP Member
    As well as those penetrate, I may down load mine for defensive uses. 24 in he's of jello and 2 water jugs is great, but not needed. I think a standard 158 load out of a snub clocking 700 fps with that bullet would be very nice.
    I used some 158 gr JHPs in her Mod 36 and her Mod 12. Was there recoil? Oh yeah, mon.. Did she hit her target in the COM and head? Oh yeah mon. I had her shoot from 15 feet down to four feet . Just put T grips on her Model 12 so we'll see.

Or, she'll stick with her Super .. .Anyway, it'll be fun .
    OD*, ETXhiker and BamaT like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links