.41 Mag and 10mm Practice Ammo

This is a discussion on .41 Mag and 10mm Practice Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know where there are good deals on .41 mag and 10mm ammo? I know they're going to cost more than .22 LR or ...

Thread: .41 Mag and 10mm Practice Ammo

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Does anyone know where there are good deals on .41 mag and 10mm ammo?

I know they're going to cost more than .22 LR or 9mm or 7.62X39, no matter what, but someone out there has got to know of someplace that might be a little cheaper than most of the rest.

I have hesitated to start reloading, and there is a good reason for that. I am not what you call a patient man and fine motor skill is pretty much something I only dream about.

OTOH, if there's a way to make it really easy to do....

nothing is cheep for 41 or 10mm these are truly reloading calibers

Roll Yer Own

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    nothing is cheep for 41 or 10mm these are truly reloading calibers
    Vouche for that! Used to load .41 alot for M57 and M58 S&W's.Cast my own slugs also,that took a BIG bite out of my ammo prices.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Randy,

Not the cheapest by far, but some of the most bang for the buck:

www.doubletapammo.com
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    Vouche for that! Used to load .41 alot for M57 and M58 S&W's.Cast my own slugs also,that took a BIG bite out of my ammo prices.
    If you do decide to cast lead, be sure to use proper ppe for safety.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Randy,

checkout www.outdoormarksman.com They have some good prices on just about anything they carry. They are miwall's largest distrubitor. I have not had any problems shooting their new and factory reloaded. But be forewarned, their website is buggy at best. I am lucky because their west coast warehouse is only a few miles from me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I reload for most of my practice amo, especiaaly the 10mm. I don't cast my own bullets though, i usually watch MidwayUSA for sales on the bullets i load for.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

SonofASniper:

Outdoor Marksman is a good tip...thanks for the heads-up.

I'm guessing I'll either have to start re-loading (and tell the neighbors to consider moving) or just keep hammering away at site after site on the internet, scrounging up the new best deal. It's kind of fun, but it is a little work.

VIP Member
    Randy, check Georgia Arms. I use their 10mm and it is quality ammo. They also load .41mag. If you look around the site you will see that they use quality components. If Artz is on he can tell you more about them. They are not far from where he lives.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I had been shooting a S&W mod 29 starting in 1980. After seeing Dirty Harry and then found how hard they were to get made it special.After many range trips I was always short of brass and ammo. Yes others in the group had 29's also. I traded up for a .41 and have never lost a bit of ammo or brass. I have 5 now. My best advice is save your brass . Put it in zip locks in 100round bags. When you get 500 rounds its time to buy a $15 LEE handload kit.$20 for a pound of Hercules 2400 powder. $2 for 100 primers and Im guessing $12 for cast bullets (100). You will need to start your reloading search of how to online(FREE). Reloading can be agrevating and make your decision after you load your first 10 rounds. Sell the LEE on Ebay for $15 Sell your Bullets on Ebay. Keep the primers and powder as you cant ship them anyway and sooner or later the itch to reload will bite again. Like right now arent you snowed in in Oklahoma? I always found that if the weather was unsafe to be outside and I wanted to do something to improve my shooting skills, reloading was the cure. I have thousands of loaded shells and its still January. By November Ill start reloading again. I buy .41 any time I see a good price (not often). If I find brass at the range and its .41 I buy a lottery ticket that day . Ive bought 2 tickets from this luck(didnt win).

The price for having a great cartridge. But your friend wont need it.
    Last edited by lightningstrike02; January 13th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Hey, lightningstrike02:

I appreciate the info on the how-to. It's probably going to come to that here pretty soon. I've sort of wanted to for a while.

I also buy .41 and 10mm ammo when I see a good price on it (which isn't very often, and whomever has it often doesn't have very much of it, either).

Sometimes the ammo I want, particularly in the .41, is hard to find, period- good price or not.

I recently cleaned Midway USA out of their last 5 boxes of Winchester Platinum Tip 240-grainers for my Taurus 415.

The 10mm stuff is a little bit more commonly made. Double Tap is great stuff, but ain't none of it cheap. Less expensive 10mm ammo can be found, from time to time, here and there (Fiocchi, Miwall, Lancer, which seems to have dried up, CCI and American Eagle, to name a few).

And yeah, I am snow (or freezing-rained/sleeted) in. Probably at least until tomorrow, PM.

My credit cards cannot take much more of this hibernating in front of the 'puter...
    Last edited by randytulsa2; January 13th, 2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Didn't address the weather.

See? Just talking about it makes it better. The biggest obstacle to reloading is your starting supply of brass. Brass cleaning will be your first step even before any supplies are purchased. So start reading and get an idea of the steps . I usually clean and sort brass and stop. Then decap and reprime and stop. Then powder fill and crimp in the bullet and stop. Come spring or the first warm day I shoot. Usually load in lots of 100 at a time. For virgin brass or once fired you wont discard many. After 10 loadings in a brass you will see cracks showing up and throw those in your "Brass discard "bucket. Primers in there too. And youl crush one ocasionally. I have progressive loaders for high volume but I never got that for .41s Its just my favorite all pleasure round and I dont rush it.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Sponsored Links