Any disadvantage to firing short barrel spec ammo from a fullsize?

This is a discussion on Any disadvantage to firing short barrel spec ammo from a fullsize? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I have an M&P40, 4.5 inch barrel.... Would there be any disadvantage to firing the .40 Short Barrel specific Gold Dots out of a ...

Thread: Any disadvantage to firing short barrel spec ammo from a fullsize?

Any disadvantage to firing short barrel spec ammo from a fullsize?

Okay, I have an M&P40, 4.5 inch barrel.... Would there be any disadvantage to firing the .40 Short Barrel specific Gold Dots out of a full size? I was thinking one advantage would be less muzzle flash in low light....whats the trade off? More abrupt recoil from the faster burning powder? None? There has to be a reason that Gold Dot makes two different bullets for each specific application.

Ideas questions comments?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Nah, you'll be fine in doing so. I'm not sure, but I think its just a lighter bullet and maybe a little faster burning powder.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 16th, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry but no, the bullet is 180 grains, the only difference I have heard is the powder is faster burning so as to produce less muzzle flash, and also the mouth of the hollow point is wider then the normal, to facilitate opening at lower velocities that a short barrel would yeild.

Now, what kind of downfalls would those differences yield? Maybe less penetration from the faster expanding round? But I was thinking... wouldn't the faster burning powder make for much less muzzle flash out of a longer barrel?

Does faster burning powder yielding the same FPS as slow burning powder (so different actual powder weights I would assume) make for more recoil?

Administrator
    If the bullet weight is the same, you will get no more noticable recoil than the other stuff. Velocity might be a tad less than the standard ammo but thats due more to your barrel length than the powder burn. And yes, it will produce slightly less muzzle flash.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The big bugaboo some Nervous Nellies might tell you to watch out for is the bullets fragmenting (expanding too fast). They're designed to expand from a lower velocity, thus at a higher velocity the theory goes, they might just fall all to pieces.

I doubt it, though, unless your carry piece has like a 16" barrel, and even then I don't think any lack of penetration would give render your load ineffective in a gunfight, and certainly not with proper shot placement.

DRT
    The SB load may actually be better in the Winter months since the standard GD bullet isnt the best for expansion reliability after heavy clothing. The larger HP in the shortbarrel load wont plug as easily. I'd go for it.

I wouldn't worry about the Gold Dot bullets fragmenting. The Gold Dots are bonded, and the "short barrel" rounds are designed to open at less velocity. They would open earlier after making entry, and likely reduce expansion(by how much is anybody's guess), but the will still likely reach a certain point of expansion and stop opening.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

i think your only disadvantage/problem would be distance. usually not a problem with handguns as that they aren't that long of a range to be considered in this issue.

If there is no big difference in performance between standard and short barrel Gold Dot then why are they both in production? Speer could produce just the SB version of ammo for short and long barrelled guns.

Links