Ammo Question: 5.56mm (M16 mil-spec load)

This is a discussion on Ammo Question: 5.56mm (M16 mil-spec load) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's been a long time. I must be having a "senior" moment. The first, I'm sure...of many. What's the drop on the standard mil-spec M16 ...

Thread: Ammo Question: 5.56mm (M16 mil-spec load)

Ammo Question: 5.56mm (M16 mil-spec load)

It's been a long time. I must be having a "senior" moment. The first, I'm sure...of many.

What's the drop on the standard mil-spec M16 load at 300 meters? IIRC it's about 18" meaning that an aimed shot at the head should produce a COM (Center Of Mass) hit. Correct?

Also, again, IIRC the max effective range of the 5.56mm round is 460 meters. Anybody know what energy it has at that range?

I'm doing research for another script. Hope (and prayer) is eternal that my agent will secure a sale....soon. LOL Can anybody help me out?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Well Ex, about the best I can do for ya this late is tell ya that the standard 5.56x45 NATO round is the M193 (55gr) or M855 (62gr green tips).

http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/bullet.html

This site has some of the info you want. It looks like its just somebody who did all the calcuations himself though, so take it or leave it. M193 and M855 is a little more than 1/2 way down.

http://www.ak-47.net/ammo/ss109.txt

That site might be more useful.

http://www.thegunzone.com/556faq.html#m855

that one describes the different 5.56 rounds.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Here's some dope from the Ammo Oracle http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#ballmil

They put drop for the older 55grain bullet at 300 yards out of a 20" bbl at 18.82" (under their testing conditions), with 639.7 ft/lbs of energy. Out of a 16" bbl, the same round at the same range under the same conditions delivered 20.77" of drop and 574.1 ft/lbs of energy. At 450 yards the energy was 431.7 and 384.0 ft/lbs, respectively.

Of course, 55gr ammo has been out of general service with the US Military for a number of years now, but this gives you a starting point. Good luck with your script!
    Last edited by OPFOR; January 17th, 2007 at 06:03 AM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

not really sure what actual drop is. i could count the clicks on my elevation knob...but since we don't boresight (who cares where its aimed at 0 yds?) it wouldn't do that low anyhow. there's about a 2 1/2 inch difference between the centerline of the bore and the sights...we sight the gun in at 36/300 (same thing trajectory wise), and at 25 it hits close enough to point of aim its not an issue. at 15 yds you aim about an inch high, and inside 7 yards about 2 1/2 inches high. this is not an issue at all for body shots of course, but to get them in the T box sometimes you have to offset aim. however, if you ever had to shoot at 7 yards, and didn't offset aim, and hit your target in the mouth at about 3200 fps with a 62 grain bullet....i think it would still do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    It's been a long time. I must be having a "senior" moment. The first, I'm sure...of many.

What's the drop on the standard mil-spec M16 load at 300 meters? IIRC it's about 18" meaning that an aimed shot at the head should produce a COM (Center Of Mass) hit. Correct?

Also, again, IIRC the max effective range of the 5.56mm round is 460 meters. Anybody know what energy it has at that range?

I'm doing research for another script. Hope (and prayer) is eternal that my agent will secure a sale....soon. LOL Can anybody help me out?
    If your weapon is "zeroed" at 100 yards and you will have a 10" drop at 300 yards. This is for a 62gr bullet at 3024fps (M855 ammo). Your Muzzle energy is about 1250 ft/lbs and 625 (approx) at 300 yards. Max range??? At 500 yards that round is heading south real fast and has dropped 50 inches (if you were standing and the ground is level it will just about be hitting the ground now). Energy at 500 yards will be about 400 ft/lbs. Best numbers for this round are for ranges under 250 yards.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Links